FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:27 pm
Prospero
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My own thoughts:

In favour
  • posts marked by the community as helpful could assist others with the task of identifying valuable content for inclusion in wikiposts and other resource threads
  • potentially declutters busy threads - reduction of duplicate comments etc. This thread is not a bad case in point

Downsides
  • the user feedback plug-in selected by Internet Brands for last month's short trial lacked elegance IMHO. However that's not say this was the only plug-in available. There are plenty of forums with user feedback enabled that avoid over dominant "like" tags

Other thoughts
  • I'm not convinced by claims that the user feedback tool will be gamed. As far as I have read there's no benefit to be gained by using the tool insincerely.
  • if adopted, my preference is for universal adoption. No forum opt outs. We trust members to post responsibly so the same goes for providing user feedback to posts
  • im not convinced that the tool will create or encourage cliquey behaviour although it may highlight existing cliquey behaviour
  • personally, I believe this function should be given a proper trial run. It works on other bulletin boards, we have Internet Brands support and experience to guide us through this process

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 13, 2015 at 1:34 pm