Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cur
Accessing TBIT *A Lounge from T7/T8 at LAX
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Yes, there is an airside connector between T4 through T8. After T7 security, follow the signs to T6, go past the Alaska Airlines Boardroom/Wolfgang Puck and you'll see escalators down to the connector. From T4 to TBIT, follow signs for Gate 41 (near T4 security). Ideally if you have pre-check, I would clear security in T4 for the Star Alliance lounge.
Plan on at least 15-20 minutes walking each way.

This link can answer 99% of the questions asked here.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/staralliance/lounge-finder

No access on UA Domestic First without Star Gold.

Contact number: 310 648 7020
Print Wikipost

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K
I got in last Saturday, no problem.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
UA *G on domestic itinerary can indeed use the *A lounge in TBIT.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, you can use the *A lounge at TBIT.

Originally Posted by ftweb
I guess part of the problem is that United negotiates extra-punitive rules for its own passengers to be denied the same lounge access as other airlines.
That's really not true. There is no UA imposed limitation on using other carriers' lounges (nor the *A lounges).

UA does limit access to its own United Clubs, but the limit applies only to United *G on domestic itineraries. I don't know why people complain about this (let alone call it "punitive"). The Clubs are crowded enough as it is. Can you imagine what they would be like if every UA Gold and higher had free access on a domestic itinerary???

And UA's policy on allowing its own pax to access the UCs when flying international is much more generous than the *A rules require.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you look at what it takes to earn *G status on other *A carriers, vs. what it takes to earn UA Gold for a typical UA domestic flyer, you can see why freebie lounge access is out of the question.

Gold is UA's second-lowest tier and can be earned with as low as a $6K spend. The notion that a carrier is going to give away lounge access to routine discounted domestic flyers for that kind of spend is not remotely in the cards. Particularly when neither AA nor DL do.

Either the qualifications for *G go way up or things stay right where they are.

US domestic travelers seem just fine with segmented service, so there's no likely move to change.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA does limit access to its own United Clubs, but the limit applies only to United *G on domestic itineraries. I don't know why people complain about this (let alone call it "punitive"). The Clubs are crowded enough as it is. Can you imagine what they would be like if every UA Gold and higher had free access on a domestic itinerary???

And UA's policy on allowing its own pax to access the UCs when flying international is much more generous than the *A rules require.
The question is not whether or not it makes sense for united to limit lounge access to its passengers. The point is that they do. Moreover, United has a lot of domestic traffic out of LAX, and a lot of Gold or higher passengers on those flights. So if all of those passengers started using the *A lounge, it could be a problem. Hence my wondering whether I'd have access before making the trek all the way from terminal 7.

As for United's policy being generous, I'd say their policy on granting *G may be generous, but their lounge access policy requires a specific carve-out that does not apply to any other airlines. For the *A policy:

STAR ALLIANCE GOLD CUSTOMERS TRAVELLING IN ANY CLASS

As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight.
No other specific airlines are mentioned in that policy, so I don't see any support for your statement that UA is more generous than other airlines on international itineraries.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
No problem

You can go there. I went there on domestic flight last month. It takes more than 20 min to walk back, or airside shuttle between T4 and T6.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No other specific airlines are mentioned in that policy, so I don't see any support for your statement that UA is more generous than other airlines on international itineraries.
Suggest you familiarize yourself with the lounge access rules.

UA is more generous in granting UC access to its own pax on international itineraries because:

1. They grant access to UA *G at any point on the itinerary, including on arrival. *A rules require access only at departure.
2. Similarly, UA grants access to UA J pax at any point on the itinerary, including on arrival, and even in connection with an economy segment. Again, *A rules require access only at departure, and then only if you're departing that airport in J.

The assertion that UA's lounge access rules are "punitive" is totally off base.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

UA is more generous in granting UC access to its own pax on international itineraries because:

1. They grant access to UA *G at any point on the itinerary, including on arrival. *A rules require access only at departure.
2. Similarly, UA grants access to UA J pax at any point on the itinerary, including on arrival, and even in connection with an economy segment. Again, *A rules require access only at departure, and then only if you're departing that airport in J.

Never let the facts get in the way of a baseless accusation.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: UA
Granted OP originally posted in the wrong section but:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ge-access.html

Yes you can go, it'll probably be same/better than the new Polaris club too.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:45 am

Umm... The entire point of this post was to familiarize myself with lounge access rules. But whereas in my question I linked to all the star alliance rules I could find, and they specifically restrict UA *G, your answer does not provide any source to suggest UA *G lounge access is not strictly less than any other airline *G lounge access.

Specifically, if you look through the policy, United is the only airline mentioned, and here is what it says:

Some member airlines offer lounge access if you are travelling in Domestic First Class although restrictions apply for Domestic First Class passengers travelling with United Airlines in the USA.
Some member airlines offer lounge access if you are travelling in Domestic Business Class, however restrictions apply for Domestic Business Class passengers travelling with United Airlines in the USA.
If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight.
Find me an actual policy that describes an actual situation where a UA *G would have lounge access and an LH/LX/TG/SQ/SK/etc. *G would not, and that might mean UA has a more generous (or at least incomparable) lounge access policy. The fact that no one can describe such a situation means UA *G policy is strictly less generous than other *G member airlines.

Again, do not confuse the question of whether or not UA is specially restrictive with the question of whether or not they should be. I don't care if lounges would be too crowded or UA pax would be better off with the same *G access as other member airlines. The question is just what the current policy is. All evidence I have seen shows that *A policy specifically singles out UA pax for restrictions.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:04 pm

In August, I'm flying BusinessFirst from LAX to MEL on United. The flight departs from terminal 7. Can I use the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT before my flight?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by mjsztainbok
In August, I'm flying BusinessFirst from LAX to MEL on United. The flight departs from terminal 7. Can I use the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT before my flight?
A related question is whether you can clear security in TBIT if your flight leaves from T7. This would make the walking time only 20 minutes for TBIT-T7, rather than 40 for T7-TBIT-T7.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I have a connection in a few weeks that will allow me to use the *A lounge in TBIT. Being that I have never done this - I have a question re: access. I have UA Club membership and *A gold. However, my physical UA Club card is nowhere to be found (and I'm not sure if just having UA club membership would even entitle you to access this lounge).

I assume with my departing UA boarding pass and my UA 1K/*A Gold physical card I should have no issue getting into the lounge?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mjsztainbok
Yes. With no guests unless you're *G - and it's at least a 20 minute (airside) walk from the lounge to T7.

A related question is whether you can clear security in TBIT if your flight leaves from T7. This would make the walking time only 20 minutes for TBIT-T7, rather than 40 for T7-TBIT-T7.
Also yes, although depending on the time of night TBIT security can be busy so you might be better entering via T4 - especially if you have PreCheck which doesn't exist at TBIT.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I assume with my departing UA boarding pass and my UA 1K/*A Gold physical card I should have no issue getting into the lounge?
You shouldn't even need your card as long as your FF number if listed on the reservation - they just scan the BP which knows your status and you're in.

UC membership does (also) get you access, but for that one I suspect you'd need the card - although the virtual card in the app might be good enough. However given *G status, this should be irrelevant.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
You shouldn't even need your card as long as your FF number if listed on the reservation - they just scan the BP which knows your status and you're in.

UC membership does (also) get you access, but for that one I suspect you'd need the card - although the virtual card in the app might be good enough. However given *G status, this should be irrelevant.
Thank you so much for clarifying! Just wanted to be sure. I have 4 hours to kill and definitely prefer to have a nicer place to relax versus being packed in the UA club with limited seats to be found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.