Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Old May 3, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cur
Accessing TBIT *A Lounge from T7/T8 at LAX
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Yes, there is an airside connector between T4 through T8. After T7 security, follow the signs to T6, go past the Alaska Airlines Boardroom/Wolfgang Puck and you'll see escalators down to the connector. From T4 to TBIT, follow signs for Gate 41 (near T4 security). Ideally if you have pre-check, I would clear security in T4 for the Star Alliance lounge.
Plan on at least 15-20 minutes walking each way.

This link can answer 99% of the questions asked here.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/staralliance/lounge-finder

No access on UA Domestic First without Star Gold.

Contact number: 310 648 7020
Print Wikipost

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:08 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Question - can one use the *A lounge on INT'L ARRIVAL, after clearing custom/immigration?

Deciding between this, and SFO future Centurion lounge, for Summer 2015

e.g. TPE-LAX in BR J (I am *A Gold anyway), then LAX-YYZ on AC in Terminal 2
5 hours layover
jerryhung is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:43 pm
  #47  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,152
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Question - can one use the *A lounge on INT'L ARRIVAL, after clearing custom/immigration?

Deciding between this, and SFO future Centurion lounge, for Summer 2015

e.g. TPE-LAX in BR J (I am *A Gold anyway), then LAX-YYZ on AC in Terminal 2
5 hours layover
The arrival does not give access, but your subsequent departure LAX-YYZ as a *G will. There is no airside connection so you would have to clear security twice.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:26 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by Kacee
The arrival does not give access, but your subsequent departure LAX-YYZ as a *G will. There is no airside connection so you would have to clear security twice.
Clear Security twice, meaning the below?
  • I arrive TPE-LAX, clear custom, enter landside
  • Re-enter TBIT with my LAX-YYZ BP (if I have one), clear security #1 -> airside
  • Go to *A lounge
  • Exit TBIT airside again
  • Walk to T2
  • Clear security again (#2)
  • Go to MLL lounge (if still have time)
Man...so much work
jerryhung is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:27 am
  #49  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,152
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Clear Security twice, meaning the below?
  • I arrive TPE-LAX, clear custom, enter landside
  • Re-enter TBIT with my LAX-YYZ BP (if I have one), clear security #1 -> airside
  • Go to *A lounge
  • Exit TBIT airside again
  • Walk to T2
  • Clear security again (#2)
  • Go to MLL lounge (if still have time)
Man...so much work
Yes. With five hours, if you're not leaving the airport, I would do it. TBIT is quite compact and the lounge is a short walk from security. It's a spectacular lounge with both indoor and outdoor terraces.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:22 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,786
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. With five hours, if you're not leaving the airport, I would do it. TBIT is quite compact and the lounge is a short walk from security. It's a spectacular lounge with both indoor and outdoor terraces.
If it's just myself, with NEXUS/TSA Pre, for sure

Not sure if my wife + 2 kids would like the idea of going through security TWICE (take baby out, folder stroller for X-ray, shoes off, inspect baby food ABCDE, etc...), ha ha

Thanks for confirming, I'm sadden that Arrival area isn't simply mixed with Departure area
jerryhung is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:22 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 8,189
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Thanks for confirming, I'm sadden that Arrival area isn't simply mixed with Departure area
No US airport is like that. You always need to clear immigrations/customs, and then get dumped land-side. Re-entry to the airside area will always require going through security.

It needs to be this way due to the fact the US has no outbound immigration, and normally has co-mingled international/departure gates - so there's nothing to stop someone in a departure area from simple walking out of the airport.
docbert is offline  
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:53 pm
  #52  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,152
Originally Posted by docbert
No US airport is like that. You always need to clear immigrations/customs, and then get dumped land-side. Re-entry to the airside area will always require going through security.

It needs to be this way due to the fact the US has no outbound immigration, and normally has co-mingled international/departure gates - so there's nothing to stop someone in a departure area from simple walking out of the airport.
Yup. The only sort-of exception is midfield at IAD, where you remain airside but still have to re-clear security.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:53 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 8,189
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yup. The only sort-of exception is midfield at IAD, where you remain airside but still have to re-clear security.
If you're beyond customs, but not yet through TSA, then you're land-side. It may be an isolated land-side, with no possible path to actually leave the airport, but it's still land-side.

Would be interesting to know if there's actually a path out of IAD midfield without going through security. I'm sure they must have people occasionally end up in the wrong area - and you can't re-clear security without a boarding pass. But I think we're getting a little off-topic now...
docbert is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:14 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 42
Since eva air does not have a business class, can one access the star alliance lounge at TBIT with a elite class ticket? I am assuming that a united club, one-time pass will not work. Thanks in advance.
dgun25 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:55 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 466
EVA air DOES have a business (J, C, Z) class. "Royal Laurel".

It's First Class that EVA doesn't have.

No, you won't get an invitation to the *A lounge on an elite class ticket. If you're *G you can get in.
RandomNobody is offline  
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:10 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 487
Is there a meetup thread for this particular lounge? I've been trying to find it in the individual airline threads but haven't had any luck.
stinger101 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:26 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DCA, IAD (not BWI if I can help it)
Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Posts: 1,482
I had a flight into LAX land more than half an hour early this morning, leaving me with just over two hours between flights instead of an hour and a half, so I decided to try my luck visiting the lounge. Yes, that is possible.

It took me 20 minutes to get from gate 75B to the lounge on foot, walking briskly and carrying only a messenger bag. It helped that I made this schlep at 11 a.m., a slow time for the TBIT; on the other hand, my total inexperience with the terminal led me to take an indirect route to security.

My domestic boarding pass confused the TSA ID checker and the lounge attendant a little, but once I explained my oddball objective they were fine.

The lounge itself: Fabulous! The food and beverages are almost as good as the AmEx Centurion Lounge in LAS, but here you also have that outdoor terrace. I'll try to spend more than 30 minutes there the next time.

My walk back to gate 63 took exactly 15 minutes, thanks in part to an exceptionally short TSA Pre security line at T6. On that note: Why doesn't TBIT have Pre?
DCA writer is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:39 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EWR
Posts: 2,117
Originally Posted by DCA writer
My walk back to gate 63 took exactly 15 minutes, thanks in part to an exceptionally short TSA Pre security line at T6. On that note: Why doesn't TBIT have Pre?
The airlines that participate in Precheck are only US-based (+Air Canada), which mean that there is no need for precheck at TBIT in just about every case (except going back for lounge access)
steveman518 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:26 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Aussie in ORD
Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Posts: 4,238
Thanks for all the info, I have 3:10 in LA and now that UA is using TBIT on arrival I plan to re clear security and use the lounge there.. I figure 1 hour of messing around and 1 hour of fat gives me an hour to use a very nice lounge with showers..
cyclogenesis is offline  
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:34 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: QF WP and Lifetime Silver; BA Gold
Posts: 119
Hello, I arrive into LAX tomorrow (Terminal 4) at 22:34 on a domestic AA flight and will fly out of Terminal 2 on a CA flight to Beijing at 00:40.

My CA flight is in Business Class. I have no *A status. Would I be admitted into TBIT so as to use the *A lounge there? Would I have the time to get there, have a shower and then go onto Terminal 4? If not, is the best option to use the Air Canada lounge in Terminal 2 or should I try and use another lounge?

All thoughts gratefully received.

David
davidMEL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.