Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LAX United Club completion targeted for December 2016

Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Was passing through recently and noticed a rendering that says the outdoor deck will be ready December 2016.

So about 18 months more of the current situation if it's on time.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, why so long? A skyscraper can practically be built in less time. This is just a little club (comparative sq ft wise that is to a skyscraper). Did they hires Joe's Contracting Service that has 2 employees that get paid by the hour?

Last edited by Baze; Apr 22, 2015 at 3:16 pm Reason: Fixed typo
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Was passing through recently and noticed a rendering that says the outdoor deck will be ready December 2016.

So about 18 months more of the current situation if it's on time.

With UA no longer being the largest carrier at LAX, I bet that helps the crowding issue some.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Well, it will supposedly be bigger than AA's LAX Admiral's Club and Flagship Lounge combined, so I'll look forward to the extra personal space.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, why so long? A skyscraper can practically be built in less time.
Because the construction must happen without disrupting the rest of the operations in the terminal. It is much easier to build on an empty lot than to retrofit in live space. And the challenges of building inside a TSA secure area should not be underestimated.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Wow, why so long? A skyscraper can practically be built in less time. This is just a little club (comparative sq ft wise that is to a skyscraper). Did they hires Joe's Contracting Service that has 2 employees that get paid by the hour?
It may be a bit more involved than a simple little club -- remember this is California and it is a rather old building. Renovation can be much more involved than new construction especially when the rest of the building stays in normal use.
Structural Improvements (page 27 of United Airlines Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Terminal 7 Improvement Project
As noted above, the proposed project includes two additional floor levels above the northern portion of the Terminal 7 concourse. The existing concourse building was constructed circa 1984 – and was designed under the structural provisions of a building code different from the current code. The existing building’s structure is not designed to support the additional gravity and lateral loads from the proposed additional two floors above the concourse; therefore, the proposed project includes structural strengthening to handle the additional loads. The additional gravity loads will be handled by reinforcing the existing columns in the basement of the terminal building.

The additional lateral load will involve adding a braced frame to the exterior of the Terminal 7 concourse building, which will extend the existing north end of the Terminal 7 building near the concourse by approximately 56 feet on the west side and 20 feet on the east side of the existing building. This “seismic bracing” will provide seismic strengthening as well as provide Terminal 7 with additional circulation space. The portion of the concourse with new levels will be seismically isolated from the remainder of the concourse; therefore, the existing frames will be distributed evenly throughout the building so there will be no adverse structural impact to the existing building south of the new seismic joint as a result of adding new floor levels north of the new seismic joint.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Will the original club still close at 8pm until the new opening date (except on weekends)? When I was in the back up club last week (the old Global Services one), it was at capacity soon after opening and had at least 20 people in the hallway waiting to be able to get in, but could not since over capacity.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Is the downstairs remodeled Club a permanent one now? Or are they building a new Club to replace it?

I dislike the remodel. It used to be bright and open and now it is compartmentalized and dark with far fewer windows. It is/was always crowded and therefore too small, but the old look was more to my liking.

I usually use the upstairs Club but went into the downstairs one last week. I looked around and saw how uninviting it was and immediately left. Sitting at an uncrowded gate was more relaxing than being in that Club.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by nycityny
Is the downstairs remodeled Club a permanent one now? Or are they building a new Club to replace it?
Its temporary. They are building a new one above the first floor in T7.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:16 pm

Lax rebuild

I have not been to Lax since July. What is the status of Term 7/8 renovations?
Old May 3, 2016, 11:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Am I the only one severely disappointed with the main revamped T7 Club? I've been there a couple of times now, and the design is just ... well, blah. Even the dated old UC space was better IMHO.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Am I the only one severely disappointed with the main revamped T7 Club? I've been there a couple of times now, and the design is just ... well, blah. Even the dated old UC space was better IMHO.
Isn't it temporary?

The new mega club should be opening in 6 months (or less).
Old May 3, 2016, 11:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
Isn't it temporary?

The new mega club should be opening in 6 months (or less).
Yes, I believe it's temporary indeed... but wow, it looks and feels like a basement.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Construction Progress Photo

Coincidentally was at LAX yesterday w/ a lengthy layover, so wandered a bit and took photo. This is west side of construction, taken from post-security walkway between T6 and T7. 71A jetway has been attached and workers were installing jetway's HVAC unit yesterday. Interior of structure itself is at the aluminum stud stage. I now wish I had taken photo of east side, but I head towards T8 only if I have to...

Terminal 6's old UC/PC space has been turned into fairly large string of Puck endeavors (pizza/bar/etc). Renovation at that terminal is almost complete except for the long-closed outdoor smoking area at mid-terminal ramp, now behind construction panels. If you've got a layover, it's worthwhile to check T6 out. Just about everything is new. Long line for burgers at the Habit joint mid-terminal. Wahoo Fish Tacos next to it. ifly.com appears to be up to date relative to T6 offerings.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 3, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA1K
i'm going to miss the way the old RCC looked with the laminated wood floors and the small bar by the windows. i get UA is trying to revamp them, but some of the clubs have an old school look (see DCA). it's going to be odd seeing LAX and SFO (when that is done). those terminals haven't changed in years.

however, when AMEX announces LAX i'm going to love that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.