Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Can't believe I missed this change to Rule 4(k) back in April - must have had a senior's moment

2021-April - new wording to Rule 4(k)
Previously the rule listed cities in columns A and B, now it lists states.
And previously there were no cities listed from the following states:
Indiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and Washington DC (which is state!??)

I will update the wiki to the User Guide shortly.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Wow, this new rule looks more restrictive. Many Mid-west states are included in Col B. BTW, I didn't see San Juan, PR included in Col B. Loophole? or mistake?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by allset2travel
BTW, I didn't see San Juan, PR included in Col B. Loophole? or mistake?
Good point - although if I try the RTW booking tool if I add say a LAX-SJU flight it won't allow me to add an SJU-LAX flight as you are only allowed one transcontinental. So I guess it is at least still there just not on the rule sheet.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Wow, this new rule looks more restrictive. Many Mid-west states are included in Col B. BTW, I didn't see San Juan, PR included in Col B. Loophole? or mistake?
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Good point - although if I try the RTW booking tool if I add say a LAX-SJU flight it won't allow me to add an SJU-LAX flight as you are only allowed one transcontinental. So I guess it is at least still there just not on the rule sheet.
I couldn't find any direct LAX-SJU flight. Does it even exist? If it doesn't exist, that would be the reason why PR is not included.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I couldn't find any direct LAX-SJU flight. Does it even exist? If it doesn't exist, that would be the reason why PR is not included.
There isn't currently as far as I know a non-stop between LAX and SJU - however, before the choosing the flight stage, when you are simply entering the city pairs if you try LAX-SJU-LAX you get the following message "You can make only one transcontinental flight between East and West US cities - East: Baltimore, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Miami, Newark, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Juan, Toronto, West Palm Beach, Washington D.C. West: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Ana, Seattle, Vancouver. Please select another destination"
This of course harks back to the "old" cities rather than states rule - but nonetheless it is still saying (at least for online bookings) that SJU is subject to the restrictions.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
There isn't currently as far as I know a non-stop between LAX and SJU - however, before the choosing the flight stage, when you are simply entering the city pairs if you try LAX-SJU-LAX you get the following message "You can make only one transcontinental flight between East and West US cities - East: Baltimore, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Miami, Newark, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Juan, Toronto, West Palm Beach, Washington D.C. West: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Ana, Seattle, Vancouver. Please select another destination"
This of course harks back to the "old" cities rather than states rule - but nonetheless it is still saying (at least for online bookings) that SJU is subject to the restrictions.
I would say it is unrelated then. The system simply hasn't been updated. You can always do LAX-ORD/DFW-SJU-ORD/DFW-LAX, before or now.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 7:56 am
Original Poster

I would say it is unrelated then. The system simply hasn't been updated. You can always do LAX-ORD/DFW-SJU-ORD/DFW-LAX, before or now.
As the rules have changed over the years, the system has never been updated

I'll bet that those mid-west states can still be used for transcons in the system
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
American's new nonstop schedule is:
Los Angeles to San Juan (Fridays and Saturdays only)
Flight Departs Arrives
238 11:45 p.m. 10:30 a.m. (next day)
Seriously considered when I was wandering

Fred
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Seriously considered when I was wandering

Fred
Oh to be wandering again
Hopefully soon - after my 2nd AZ jab, and when the surgeons have finished with me (the joys of aging )
Old Jun 8, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Oh to be wandering again
Hopefully soon - after my 2nd AZ jab, and when the surgeons have finished with me (the joys of aging )
Hope it's not too serious and in any cases all goes well!
pandaperth likes this.

Last edited by zoombee; Jun 8, 2021 at 5:55 am Reason: to -> too typo
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

2021-Jul-01 New Version of the Rule Sheet - minor change only

2021-Jul-01 New Version of the Rule Sheet - minor change only
According to diffchecker the only change is to Rule 5 - a change to the booking codes used by JL for its domestic flights (and these changes do not take effect until July 2022!)
Old May 6, 2022, 3:13 am
Original Poster

2022-Apr-21 New Version of the Rule Sheet - S7 removed from the list of Oneworld Airlines
According to diffchecker this is the only change
Old May 6, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
2022-Apr-21 New Version of the Rule Sheet - S7 removed from the list of Oneworld Airlines
According to diffchecker this is the only change
Thank you.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 5:45 am
Original Poster

2022-Aug-31 New Version of the Rule Sheet - Comair removed

2022-Aug-31 New Version of the Rule Sheet - Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
According to diffchecker this is the only other change is to some booking codes on JL domestic flights

Comair is/was a BA subsidiary operating in southern Africa. I think it stopped flying during the pandemic and has yet to restart, perhaps it never will
It did fly JNB-MRU which would make possible a routing such as ...SYD-JNB-MRU-LGW...
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
2022-Aug-31 New Version of the Rule Sheet - Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
According to diffchecker this is the only other change is to some booking codes on JL domestic flights

Thank you for checking and reporting the diffs.

Comair is/was a BA subsidiary operating in southern Africa. I think it stopped flying during the pandemic and has yet to restart, perhaps it never will
It did fly JNB-MRU which would make possible a routing such as ...SYD-JNB-MRU-LGW...
If I recall correctly, they had been operating until just a few months ago, when they were grounded by safety regulators for gross violations. I understand they were also in bankruptcy reorganization but that apparently failed and they are now being liquidated.

I've flown them a number of times, most often as part of an RTW, between JNB and CPT.
JohnSydney2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.