Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Looks like I did a sloppy job of checking the changes in the latest (2016-April-22) rule sheet, and I missed two items (at least!)

This post discusses what I think is the more significant item, and my next post will discuss the other item.

ajnaro has pointed out in another thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post26914209) that the wording of the "Sales Restrictions" section has changed

The pre April 22nd wording was (my bolding):
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in
another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale
at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe
And the new wording is:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
So, as ajnaro said in his post
It's as if the whole world became one big 'Canadian exception'
^

So now I'm thinking of purchasing my next ex-Africa xONEx in Australia to avoid the FX fees my Australian CC provider charges.

Last edited by pandaperth; Jul 14, 2016 at 1:32 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Poster

The second item I missed was pointed out by thois (see post #272 in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...t-query-7.html)

Even though the wording of the back-track rules for a second visit to Europe/Middle East has been re-written (see post #324 upthread), rule 4(h) still has the wording regarding excluded inter-zone flights to/from the UK, namely (my bolding):
(h) A minimum of 3 and maximum of 16 segments, including surface segments between any 2 airports, are permitted for the entire journey. Free flight segments within each continent are limited as follows:
Africa 4
Asia 4
Europe Middle East 4*
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
North America 6
South America 4
South West Pacific 4
In the new rules, paragraph 4(e) no longer has 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 (or 3. anything in fact), so the continued inclusion of the restriction would appear to be pointless and is probably due to sloppy editing when the rule was changed in April. BUT thois reports that the AA fares section is still disallowing inter-zone flights and is referring to this rule - go figure
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Looks like I did a sloppy job of checking the changes in the latest (2016-April-22) rule sheet, and I missed two items (at least!)
So now I'm thinking of purchasing my next ex-Africa xONEx in Australia to avoid the FX fees my Australian CC provider charges.
Wow. This thread has gone from joy to misery to even more joy - all in the space of a couple of months. More twists and turns than a good murder mystery novel ....
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: QFF

This post discusses what I think is the more significant item, and my next post will discuss the other item.

ajnaro has pointed out in another thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post26914209) that the wording of the "Sales Restrictions" section has changed

The pre April 22nd wording was (my bolding):

And the new wording is:

So, as ajnaro said in his post^

So wait...
I can now buy an ex-JP DONE3 from an agent in AU and pay the JPY price in AUD?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno
So wait...
I can now buy an ex-JP DONE3 from an agent in AU and pay the JPY price in AUD?
That's how I'm reading the new wording
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: QFF
That's how I'm reading the new wording
hmm... I may have to contact the local travel agent to see if she can book such a DONE3 from AU, and put it in the same PNR as the linked DAS13 and any extra US/EU side trips I might need.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

I have emailed the itinerary of my proposed next DONE5 (ex-MPM) to an Australian TA.
Waiting see what sort of response I get
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:02 pm

With all the recent confusion about which backtrack rules apply, I wonder if this itinerary would be valid.
MPM-DOH-CDG-LHR-DXB-LHR-USA-ASIA-NRT-xLHR-CPT.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
hmm... I may have to contact the local travel agent to see if she can book such a DONE3 from AU, and put it in the same PNR as the linked DAS13 and any extra US/EU side trips I might need.
It can go on the same PNR

But that doesn't necessarily buy you through-ticket level protection.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headinclouds
With all the recent confusion about which backtrack rules apply, I wonder if this itinerary would be valid.
MPM-DOH-CDG-LHR-DXB-LHR-USA-ASIA-NRT-xLHR-CPT.
Yes, your itinerary is valid
It backtracks through Europe/Middle East and so it must comply with the new rule, which is #3 below:
The main requirement is that one of the visits to Europe/Middle East must be "a transfer without stopover" and you have this at the end of your itinerary - NRT-xLHR-CPT.
The exclusion of South Africa/Mauritius is not applicable in your case because you are not travelling to/from Europe in both directions - one of your directions is via the Middle East, namely MPM-DOH.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:41 pm

The second item I missed was pointed out by thois (see post #272 in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...t-query-7.html)

Even though the wording of the back-track rules for a second visit to Europe/Middle East has been re-written (see post #324 upthread), rule 4(h) still has the wording regarding excluded inter-zone flights to/from the UK, namely (my bolding):

In the new rules, paragraph 4(e) no longer has 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 (or 3. anything in fact), so the continued inclusion of the restriction would appear to be pointless and is probably due to sloppy editing when the rule was changed in April. BUT thois reports that the AA fares section is still disallowing inter-zone flights and is referring to this rule - go figure
Another example of how far downhill the once-wonderful AA ATW desk has gone. If any of the old hands is still there they might be able to interpret the rule change differently.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Another example of how far downhill the once-wonderful AA ATW desk has gone. If any of the old hands is still there they might be able to interpret the rule change differently.
My understanding, from the post by thois, is that it is the AA fares section making this, incorrect, interpretation, not the RTW desk. (Last year when I was trying to book my DONE5 with backtrack in Europe, the RTW desk was agreeing with me, but AA's fares section was adamant that its interpretation was correct.)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
My understanding, from the post by thois, is that it is the AA fares section making this, incorrect, interpretation, not the RTW desk. (Last year when I was trying to book my DONE5 with backtrack in Europe, the RTW desk was agreeing with me, but AA's fares section was adamant that its interpretation was correct.)
This is the "problem" with the RTW desk. It isn't the desk but it's the tariff team. I was talking with, in my mind, their number 1 agent this weekend and it is evident that the Winston Salem team (legacy US) is ill-trained to price these tickets.

Moral of the story, if you think the fare is wrong, use one of the legacy RTW agents (there are 3 that are legacy and amazing) to agree with you. When they do then they have always called tariff for me and "educated them" on how to properly rate the ticket. 30 minutes on hold and my RTW angel came back with the correct fare and routing for me....
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
New Routing Rules - 01AUG16

I found an update effective today, I originally posted it in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...periences.html because there was an ongoing discussion there, but it really should be posted here:

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Breaking: The nonsense in Para 4(h) about "the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3." is being removed!

The QF filed fare rule is already updated. 4(h) line about *segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if... - no longer exists!
Code:
H.A MINIMUM OF 3 AND MAXIMUM OF 16 SEGMENTS                           
  INCLUDING SURFACE SEGMENTS BETWEEN ANY 2                            
  AIRPORTS ARE PERMITTED FOR THE ENTIRE                               
  JOURNEY.                                                            
  FREE FLIGHT SEGMENTS WITHIN EACH CONTINENT ARE                      
  LIMITED AS FOLLOWS -                                                
  AFRICA              4                                               
  ASIA                4                                               
  EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST  4 - NOT MORE THAN 2 OF WHICH                    
  MAY BE BETWEEN THE UK AND ALBANIA/ALGERIA/                          
  BULGARIA/CROATIA/CYPRUS/GREECE/LIBYA/ISRAEL/                        
  MIDDLE EAST/MOROCCO/ROMANIA/RUSSIA WEST OF THE                      
  URALS/TUNISIA/TURKEY/UKRAINE.                                       
  NORTH AMERICA       6                                               
  SOUTH AMERICA       4                                               
  SOUTHWEST PACIFIC   4

4(e)3 (Intercontinental departure/arrivals) has been rewritten/clarified too. It now reads:
Code:
3. TWO PERMITTED IN EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST,              
A. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING IN AFRICA,                
//AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-RTW-EUROPE/MIDDLE,      
  EAST-AFRICA//,                                    
- ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST,     
BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA,      
AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT,                    
- IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS,      
 THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH,     
 AFRICA.,                                            

B. FOR TRAVEL ORIGINATING OTHER THAN AFRICA,        
//EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST-AFRICA-EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST//,   
- ONE OF THE VISITS TO EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST MUST,     
 BE A TRANSFER WITHOUT STOPOVER BETWEEN AFRICA,     
 AND THE PREVIOUS/NEXT CONTINENT,                   
- IF TRAVEL TO/FROM EUROPE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS,      
 THE ITINERARY MAY NOT INCLUDE MAURITIUS/SOUTH,     
 AFRICA.,

Each member airline files their *ONEx fares - copies of each other of course - but it takes time for all of them to go in. QF is usually first and their rules are already filed. oneworld.com not updated yet. Haven't looked for any other changes.

Discuss!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

OK, I will get the discussion going.

It is great news that the ‘legacy’ wording is being removed – see post# 347 upthread where this was first raised (in this thread that is)

So from now on, the AA Pricing Department (or whatever its correct name is) should have no reason to disallow inter-zone segments in Europe/Middle East

__________________________________________________ ___

But the cynic in me says AA will just find some other (mis)interpretation of the rules to make life difficult for us.

I predict the misinterpretation will be over the words “travel to/from Europe in both directions” in order to disallow itineraries that include South Africa and/or Mauritius. I had already given my view on clause 4(e)3 - see post#336 upthread.

What clause 4(e) says is:
I’m interested in what others think the words “to/from Europe in both directions” mean in practice. Here’s what I think they mean.
  1. A flight TO Europe is a direct flight from an airport in Africa to an airport in the Europe Zone. In practice this currently means a direct flight to either MAD (flying IB), LHR or LGW (flying BA). AB used to have flights from WDH to Germany and may do so again, and AY to my knowledge has never flown to Africa but of course might choose to do so in the future
    x
  2. A flight FROM Europe is a direct flight from an airport in the Europe zone to an airport in Africa
    x
  3. A journey from an airport in Africa to an airport in Europe VIA DOHA is NOT a flight “to Europe” for the purpose of this rule and a journey from an airport in Europe to an airport in Africa VIA DOHA is NOT a flight “from Europe” for the purpose of this rule.
    x
    I have used DOHA in this example because currently QR is the only Middle East carrier flying to Africa; RJ used to fly there and of course may choose to do so again in the future

What do others think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.