Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pandaperth
Chronological Summary of Changes to the Oneworld Explorer Rule Sheet

(click on the dates to go to the relevant posts in this thread)

2023-Oct-05 Changes to the Premium Economy surcharge table
2023-May-01 Rule 4(e) change, regarding second visit to Asia
2022-Aug-31 Comair removed from the list of BA affiliated Airlines
2022-Apr-21 S7 removed from the list of airlines
2021-Jul-01 Minor change
2021-Apr-01 AS joins the alliance
2020-May-01 LATAM (LA & JJ) leaves the alliance
2020-Apr-01 Royal Air Maroc (AT) joins the alliance
2019-Mar-15 Minor change
2019-Feb-11 Rule 4(j) Wording, in part, changed from:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
To:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked in conjunction with a QF operated and marketed online connection or stopover flight at LAX
Rule 15 Following paragraph removed
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate.
Other, minor, changes
2019-Jan-08 Minor change (to the list of AA-affiliated airlines)

2018-Jun-06 Rule 16 - VOLUNTARY CHANGES / REROUTING / PENALTIES
Highlighted words removed
16(a)2d. If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated.
2018-Mar-05 Rule 4(j) Words added:
QF operated services within USA (eg LAX-JFK vv) not permitted unless booked as a through flight segment between Australia & USA (eg SYD-JFK vv)
2017-Oct-30 Rule 5 Reservations and Ticketing: changed wording
Reservations for the first overwater flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.
To:
Reservations for the first international flight and all preceding flights must be made prior to departure.

Air berlin removed (it has ceased operating)
2017-Sep-05 No change (see the linked post)

2017-Aug-01 Rule 4(e) Major change regarding second visits to certain continents
Old Version:

New Version:
(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
Two permitted in North America.
Two permitted in Asia when one is for travel between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
Two permitted in Europe/Middle East.
If travel is to/from Europe in both directions, itinerary may not include Mauritius/South Africa. AA Premium Economy booking classes added
2017-Feb-01 Rule 4(f) has the following words added:
No more than 4 international transfers from the one country permitted
2016-Dec-01 Rule 0 Removal of these words
3 Continent Fare is only offered for travel originating in Asia, Europe/Middle East and North America
(because southern hemisphere 3- continent itineraries became possible when JJ commenced its GRU-JNB service)
Rule 4(g) addition of these words:
The first crossing between TC areas must be flown, not surfaced
Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*not more than 2 of which may be between the UK and ALBANIA, ALGERIA, BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, GREECE, MIDDLE EAST, MOROCCO, ROMANIA, RUSSIA west of the Urals, TUNISIA, TURKEY, UKRAINE.
2016-Aug-04 Rule 4(h) Removal of these words:
*segments between Europe and Middle East are not permitted if travel includes Africa and the itinerary utilises the backtracking provisions in Para 4(e) 3.1.3.or 3.2.3.
(So no more complicated rules regarding second visits to Europe/Middle East)
2016-Apr-22 Rule 4(e) Major change to the 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East rule
New wording is:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...iddle-east.png Rule 8Stopovers.
Removal of the highlighted words:
2. Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.
Rule 15 Sales Restrictions
Removal of the highlighted words:
When travel originates in a country for which a specific local currency fares is published and the ticket is sold in another country, the fare will be that published for the country of origin converted to the currency of the country of sale at the bank selling rate. The resultant fare must not be lower than from the country of sale.
Exception: Not applicable when BOTH travel originates and sales are made within Europe

2016-Apr-01 Minor change to booking classes

2015-Dec-01 Minor change to list of affiliate airlines and to the cancellation fee

2015-Nov-01 US Airways removed from list of airlines (its merger with AA was complete)

2015-Sep-01Rule 4(k) ATL added to list of east coast cities
Rule 26 Change to group booking codes
2015-Jun-01 Rule 4(k) TPA added to list of east coast cities

2015-Feb-01 Minor change to the list of affiliated carriers
Rule 16 Voluntary Changes
Removal of “Date/Time/Carrier” changes. Phrase now used is “changes to ticketed points”
2014-Nov-01 Rule 4(j) change to the list of affiliated airlines

2014-Oct-01 Rule 5 Highlighted words added
NOTE: For flights where First or Business Class is not offered or available, passengers may travel in a lower Class, in the applicable booking code for that lower Class.
Where the applicable booking class for the lower class is not available,
Passengers travelling on First Class Fares may book Y class
Passengers travelling on DONE* Business Class Fares may book B class

2014-Aug-01 Minor changes only

2014-Jul-01 IONE3 fares added
Other minor changes
2014-May-01 UL joins Oneworld

2014-Apr-01 JJ and US join Oneworld

2013-Dec-01 Allows DONEn travellers to fly in first class on QR’s Middle East flights

2013-Oct-30 QR joins Oneworld
Complicated new rule for 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East in conjunction with travel to/from/via Africa
2013-Oct-01 LAN Colombia joins Oneworld

2013-Jul-01 Minor changes
Removed the ability to purchase extra intra-continent flight segments
2013-Mar-01 Changes subsequently discovered
Continents transited to be counted
Rule 8. The highlighted words dropped
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin.

2013-Jan-31 MH joins Oneworld

2012-Nov Rule 0 The highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE/ MIDDLE EAST THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS
2011-May-02 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2011-Apr-01 Rule 4(e)(3) Tanzania removed from the list of African countries where 2nd visit to Europe/Middle East allowed

2011-Feb-02 QF codeshare flight on JQ allowed
Albania and Turkey added to the list of countries to/from which only two flights allowed from/to UK
2010-Nov-01 Highlighted words added
TRAVEL BETWEEN SWP AND EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST ON A SINGLE FLIGHT NUMBER/ OR BY SURFACE IS CONSIDERED TRAVELLING SWP-ASIA-EUROPE THROUGH THREE CONTINENTS.
Premium Economy supplements increased
2009-Nov-30 Rule 4(l) Change to the list of Australian trans-continental flights allowed

2009-Aug-04 Rule 4(c) Origin-Destination surface segment allowed between Maldives and Sri Lanka/India
Rule 8. Highlighted words added
Maximum two stopovers permitted in the continent of origin of which a maximum of one stopover is permitted in each direction in the country of origin

Print Wikipost

Changes to xONEx Rule Sheet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I think my post immediately above this one has addressed this question.
IMO the new rule is less restrictive, not more.

I can price up this itinerary - CPT-xLHR-DFW-HKG-oLHR-oDOH-MPM
But, again, if I change MPM to CPT then I get the error message about no flown or surface sectors between zones
Thanks for checking. I hope this bug is fixed quicker than the QF jetconnect one (which is still not fixed over a year later !@#$).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Looks like the on-line tool has had the new rules implemented. I am able to price up the following itinerary:Under the previous rules those four Europe-Middle East flights were not allowed.

Edited to add:
But if I change the last flight to be DOH-CPT, then the tool flags the LHR-DOH as invalid new version of the rules, so I presume this is simply poor programming
My bold. That doesn't make any sense! Did you try DOH-JNB and see if that works?

Will continue to investigate...
Thanks for putting in the effort ^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:06 pm

With the addition of MAD-JNB and HKG-MAD I'd look into a DONE4 with:

JNB-MAD-DOH-GRU-USA-ASIA-HKG-EU-DOH-CPT for maximum mileage.

Would I be able to keep both connections in each EU and DOH? Only the 2nd EU visit would be a stopover. Neither stop in DOH is over 24hr.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by headinclouds
So, the take away is that if you want to have S.Africa as a starting point and use the backtrack exception, then you must go thru the ME hub of DOH at least 1 time. Can't do LHR/MAD both times. Correct?
Correct.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Looks like the on-line tool has had the new rules implemented.
Well I have to retract this statement.
I have been trying various itineraries in the on-line tool – and my opinion now is that the tool has not yet been updated to handle the new rule for a second transit of Europe.
The current situation with the on-line appears to be:
If one transit to/from Africa is via the Europe Zone
And the other transit is via the Middle East Zone
Then flights between the zones are flagged as errors (which was correct under the old rules)
Unless the flight to/from Africa from/to the Middle East Zone happens to be either QR’s DOH-MPM flight or the return flight MPM-DOH!
I tried it with the flight being DOH-NBO/WDH/CPT/JNB and got errors every time.
So I now think the tool is unchanged, as yet, and that I uncovered an existing bug that allowed intra-zone flights when there was DOH-MPM or v.v.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
The ZA/Mauritius exception makes sense, at least routes to/from Asia/SWP (and soon S.America) are possible.
I beg to differ. I believe the rule makes little sense and is poorly worded

What is its purpose?
IMHO, the rule is there because BA does not want to fly pax both to SA/Mauritius and back again (or v.v. of course).
BA seems happy enough to fly you 1-way and let QR do the honours in the other direction.
Is it justified?
How do those flights compare to other flights that can be used for backtracking between continents?
We’re talking about LHR-CPT/JNB and LGW-MRU (which is the longest of the three at 6,045 miles)
The longest South America – North America backtracking flight is probably JFK-SCL at 5,097 miles and for Asia-South West Pacific AKL-HKG at 5,688 miles (though when QF flew it, its SYD-BOM flight could be used and that was 6,308 - so longer than LGW-MRU).
So, yes the BA flights are longer than the backtracking flights for other continents, but not by a really huge margin.
How effective is it?
Well yes the rule does disallow having two long-haul BA flights to/from Southern Africa
Does it have unintended consequences?
IMHO yes. (meaning that I think the following are unintended consequences.) By disallowing two transits through the Europe zone, the rule does more than prevent two flights to/from Southern Africa.
  1. What if a pax wants to start in SA, with say CPT-LHR, but end somewhere else in Africa – for example by having the last flight as MAD-DKR? No can do because both flights will be to/from the Europe Zone and the itinerary includes SA. (The same holds true for Ghana, Angola and Equatorial Guinea which are only served by European carriers – BA or IB)
  2. What if a pax visiting Africa from elsewhere wants to do something like LHR-LAD and MRU-LGW? (with a safari between the two).
Suggested Wording
If the intention is to disallow two flights between the UK and Southern Africa – then say so explicitly:

4(e) Only one intercontinental departure and one intercontinental arrival permitted in each continent except as follows:
  1. Two permitted in North America when one is a transfer without stopover.
  2. Two permitted in Asia when one is a transfer without stopover or on direct single plane service between the Southwest Pacific and Europe/Middle East.
  3. Two permitted in Europe/Middle East when one is a transfer without stopover. Note: only one flight permitted between the UK and South Africa/Mauritius.

This wording is concise and does away with zones completely.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Well, yes, your wording would make even more sense! I just meant I understood the reason for the exclusion, however annoying it is.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Wow, I never thought to do Europe-DOH-Europe in the middle like that! Impressive. I recently booked a 16-segment CPT-DOH...DOH-CPT DONE5 that flies 51,900 miles or so. Your suggestion would impressively expand that.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by anabolism
Wow, I never thought to do Europe-DOH-Europe in the middle like that! Impressive. I recently booked a 16-segment CPT-DOH...DOH-CPT DONE5 that flies 51,900 miles or so. Your suggestion would impressively expand that.
i have lax doh bcn doh osl doh... vert low yq.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
With the addition of MAD-JNB and HKG-MAD I'd look into a DONE4 with:

JNB-MAD-DOH-GRU-USA-ASIA-HKG-EU-DOH-CPT for maximum mileage.

Would I be able to keep both connections in each EU and DOH? Only the 2nd EU visit would be a stopover. Neither stop in DOH is over 24hr.

Excuse my ignorance but how is this a four continent fare?
I see Africa - Europe - South America - USA - Asia?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:26 am

Not a rule change, but a question of interpretation.

Cancellations and Refunds
(1) After ticket issuance - Cancellation/No Show
Forfeit 10% of ticketed fare for Economy Class fares
Forfeit 5% of ticketed fare for Business/First Class fares
What is the ticketed fare? Base fare without taxes/fees or the grand total fare?

Rebooking/Rerouting
(1) Prior to departure
(a) Changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same. If the first
flight coupon is being changed, and the fare level has increased since ticket
issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will be charged.

Start a xONEx in March 2017, and have segments for Apr 2017 as place holders. In Sept 2016, change the dates only for the Apr 2017 flights to July 2017. No change to the first 4 flights. To me it means just local service fee, no $125 change fee and no repricing. Correct?
Old May 31, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by headinclouds
What is the ticketed fare? Base fare without taxes/fees or the grand total fare?
The base fare, before taxes, fees and charges.

Start a xONEx in March 2017, and have segments for Apr 2017 as place holders. In Sept 2016, change the dates only for the Apr 2017 flights to July 2017. No change to the first 4 flights. To me it means just local service fee, no $125 change fee and no repricing. Correct?
Correct.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by 747-444
The way oneworld sees continents for RTW applications, North and South America count as two separate ones.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by 747-444
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
The way oneworld sees continents for RTW applications, North and South America count as two separate ones.
JNB-|MAD-DOH-|GRU-|USA-|ASIA-HKG-|EU-DOH-|CPT
That's Africa, Europe, South America, North America, Asia.
It's a DONE5, not a DONE4 as you suggested.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:57 am

Right! My bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.