Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:32 pm

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to this, was reading much recently (got the first k pages of the thread I guess) and found a good c2-c6 fare, dumpable. I was able to reduce the fat by 50% with multiple negotiating skills (44% with an interesting self-dump), but still a long way to go. Any further hints for a CA c2-c6 100% dump?

Best wishes
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:22 am

I have found a number of dumps for a C2-C3 itin with a ME Carrier. Both 1Xs and 3Xs work but 1Xs far cheaper. 1Xs not the usual C4 ones but rather in C3, but don't have any idea if any of these 1Xs are safe.

Is anyone able to assist (via PM if needed) on whether these 1Xs are safe?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:00 am

C2c - C3e <£90 RT

Interestingly there are several C2 1x options for ~£100 RT too rather than using a distant/obscure or difficult to fly 1x. C3c cities are a similar price!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:09 am

C1e-C2w £34 One Way

Also a C3 airline can be used as a very effective 1x too ^

Last edited by Flying4less; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:31 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Flying4less
Interestingly there are several C2 1x options for ~£100 RT too rather than using a distant/obscure or difficult to fly 1x. C3c cities are a similar price!
That is really high quality work. Newcomers should (Dream) look to someone like you as an example of success.

C1e-C2w £34 One Way
Also a C3 airline can be used as a very effective 1x too ^
Careful with that OTA. It is not Automated. They will take your "reservation", do a manual review and then inform you that trip will not be ticketed. Pay a tiny bit more and save your frustration. I paid ~ $ 46 and got instantly tickketed for my October trip.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:35 am

Thanks WWE I appreciate it! Indeed if I were to book I would use a more reputable OTA for a few £ more like yourself ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:43 am

Right track

So I have read the first 100 and the last 100, and done the Google research on FD, and I am still trying to land my first FD. I am not asking for tips nor do I expect it on this forum, and understandably so. I am also certainly willing to put in the time to find the right FD, but I want to make sure I am walking in the right direction, and not in the opposite direction! Having said that, I would like to share my latest effort and simply ask a few yes/no questions.

I found a C1C3 fare for around $800 (quite good considering my city of departure) which came with a YQ of over 50%. So good candidate for a FD, I thought. I tried a dozen or so 1X and 3X flights on the same itinerary (on ITA by the way), and all jacked up the price considerably. By the 1X and 3Xs I mean connecting to my origin and connecting from my destination respectively, and I kept them within a 90 minute flight radius.

I am certainly willing to keep on that strategy for as long as it takes until I find the right strike, but I am not sure if I am on the right track, or even close to it. So here are my questions:

1- Am I on the right track?
2- Should the 1X and 3X be within the same alliance?
3- Is the information in the flight restrictions of the fare rule pertinent to finding the 1X or 3X?

Thanks in advance for your replies on this thread or PMs!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by privateandinstrument
By the 1X and 3Xs I mean connecting to my origin and connecting from my destination respectively, and I kept them within a 90 minute flight radius.

1- Am I on the right track?
2- Should the 1X and 3X be within the same alliance?
3- Is the information in the flight restrictions of the fare rule pertinent to finding the 1X or 3X?

Thanks in advance for your replies on this thread or PMs!
The 1X or 3X definitely does not need to link geographically with the main flight.

1. Kinda
2. Not necessarily
3. Yes, but some OTAs can do odd things.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:13 am

C2-C3se via merlion

Anybody seeing similar fares with merlion air? finding quite a few 1x possibilities within C2
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by privateandinstrument
I found a C1C3 fare for around $800 (quite good considering my city of departure) which came with a YQ of over 50%. So good candidate for a FD, I thought.
A YQ of over 50% isn't the only characteristic a good candidate fare needs, read the fare rules and figure out, if there is the possibility for an additional segment.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by abitlost
The 1X or 3X definitely does not need to link geographically with the main flight.

1. Kinda
2. Not necessarily
3. Yes, but some OTAs can do odd things.
Got it; thanks. Very helpful.

And "1. Kinda" is because "The 1X or 3X definitely does not need to link geographically with the main flight"?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Saustark!

I knew about the obscure ones, but having 1Xs that I might actually be able to fly would be very nice. Great work good Sir (/Madame?)

More of a historico-philosophical question: Do you consider Russia part of Europe? I spend some time in Poland last summer and these guys were pretty darn shure to be "Central Europe" - it needed a lot of Tatar to avert a major fist fight
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Jboucsei
Do you consider Russia part of Europe?
Moscow, the capital of Russia is in Europe. According to geography books at least.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by warrenbisch
Anybody seeing similar fares with merlion air? finding quite a few 1x possibilities within C2
Don't know if similar but ~230€-ish.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:30 pm

C1e-C2w £34 One Way
Also a C3 airline can be used as a very effective 1x too
Hi everybody,

First post here. Mainly I am hanging around in the german sister forum.
For getting more familiar with the topic I try to crack the riddles here in this thread with more or less success.
The crutial point for me is - if I am not able to find the fare in the Matrix and have no success with the OTA's via the power tool the search is over, because I see no change among the countless other OTA's to finding the right one with the right trick (1x, 3x or whatever).
Regarding the fare decribed above (no intention to fly it) - Is it ITA friendly?
I guess I've found the right fare, but can't get it under 180€ with a 1x.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.