Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2010 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:41 am
ccf
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL

I THINK this is a new find: I've been playing around on .bomb and was able to get BOS-DEL through March for about $700 ai. Clicking through seems a little difficult (and tricky), but doable.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by ccf
I THINK this is a new find: I've been playing around on .bomb and was able to get BOS-DEL through March for about $700 ai. Clicking through seems a little difficult (and tricky), but doable.
Try booking on xp.fr, can be lowered to $645 a/i.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA G
For those of you doing this for UA flights, how do you book it in W+ class (so it's SWUable)? It's easy to do this on .bomb, but a good number of these deals requires that you parlez-vous français or negotiate into orbit. AFAIK, those sites don't let you pick booking classes.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Unfortunately, this is not a feature of FDing. To coin a phrase, "You pay for what you get." Hence, the comments way above wondering how many people actually take these from the US to India vs. how many are just after the "Wow!" factor here...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
To add to the above post, AFAIK, you cannot select an upgradeable fare, but sometimes the lowest fare available is W (e.g. BKK, SIN right now), so your search will automatically come up with that. Otherwise, you'll end up pulling up a lower fare class (assuming availability in that bucket).
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:00 am

BA has a new offer:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/de_de

i found base fares from €37 ex germany to boston. didnt try more yet.
sample dates: 01/02 - 08/02 dus-bos-dus

is this trickable'?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: UA G
Yeahhh, fair enough. For those deals I actually want to fly, I'll try it on .bomb first and then move on to the other sites. Do any other sites show booking class before ticketing?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
While you can't book there, I usually use ITA for my searches and they show the booking class, fare basis code, and YQ. I then go from there to select the exact same flights on another site, add a 3rd strike, and check the new price.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by unavaca
Yeahhh, fair enough. For those deals I actually want to fly, I'll try it on .bomb first and then move on to the other sites. Do any other sites show booking class before ticketing?
orbitz and XP (us) do show booking class, if you look around a bit.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Qlique crasher
I stumbled upon this forum via Google while searching for a cheap fare. I am not one to criticise but the little I have read of this thread reminds me of High School were the cool kids create superficial barriers to their clique to keep the others out. This breeds dislike and resentment and what eventually ends up happening is that whatever secrets were closely guarded will be revealed out of resentment. Via simple Google queries it seems to me that the only secrets being kept are exact names of airlines and stops that can be deduced through simple trial and error. The basic tricks have been around for years as described in these really old articles http://www.elliott.org/the-travel-cr...hidden-cities/ and http://www.elliott.org/the-troublesh...icket-illegal/ . The internet is an open forum, if you want to create an exclusive community go right ahead and do it or charge a fee to join, but there is no excuse for not helping newbies on a free forum that is open to everyone. What you are all trying to do is to keep the deals among a small group and with no expiration date. On the other hand if there were more people with the knowledge of how to search for these deals the number of deals available would increase since there would be a much larger group searching for them, that's how the internet works.
Have fun. It's obvious that you don't need us since you can deduce everything by yourself.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Firewind
Unfortunately, this is not a feature of FDing. To coin a phrase, "You pay for what you get." Hence, the comments way above wondering how many people actually take these from the US to India vs. how many are just after the "Wow!" factor here...
I can't speak to India, yet, but mine begins a mile high, backs out west before it turns and heads to MAD, returning via Anchor Steam home and then to the cenotes which you know I want to see. All for 470 a.i. Yes, I'm going to fly it.. and another US-EU one that is bracketed by this one. I bet these aren't so unusual, lots of people do fly these, and I'd do India if my business required it. I did check out DXB and it worked too, not much more all-in, but the timing ate up my business availability unacceptably.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Now, yours makes sense. And I acknowledge that everyone's MMV. My point was just that it's to Delhi or Mumbai in Y on a 744. Which is your favorite. To each his own.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:57 pm

UA: SAN-MAD/BCN-SAN $447 ai, SN: $453 ai.

I just booked a flight from SAN to MAD and then leaving from BCN. Open jaw is cheaper than roundtrip strangely. Booked using Orbitz, on UA it's $447 and on SN it's $453. Part of the UA flights are on CO metal and the SN flights are on AA metal. Which begs a newbie question from me. If it's a SN flight but on AA metal, can I get AA miles instead of SN miles? I tried other sites, including .bomb but their prices are higher, between $488-$600+. EX SFO it's $425. You must be tricky. Sample date is 1/19-2/2 but a bunch of dates I tried worked.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
travfar-
in accordance with posting practices, your post should have been made to Mileage Run Discussion/'...special savings lounge'

If your terminal leg isn't going to be used and you'd like to save a few skins, feel free to PM me.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Berlin TXL (Jan 25) - New York EWR (February 1) - London LHR
UA $ 313 ( CO code share ).

Found on ITA. Not sure which site will actually book. Good hunting
$ 58 of YQ. Wonder if that is FD-able

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.