Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: FB, velib
Flew FD ticket 1X C2-C4s using baggage drop-off (agent), no problem.

Originally Posted by cyrus46
Hi
I plan to book my first fd trip I've got a question :
Can you do a normal bagages check in because you need to show your plan ticket
So what I should do and shouldn't do in the airport to not expose the trip
Can someone give me advice
Thanks mate
Old May 4, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by privateandinstrument
Yep, that's what I am guessing..
It was the fare rules. I think I was looking at the same thing as you were. I have a GDS so I can see what the lowest fare would be even if the seats were sold out. It went from $273.00 to $750.00.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by mcdevit
It was the fare rules. I think I was looking at the same thing as you were. I have a GDS so I can see what the lowest fare would be even if the seats were sold out. It went from $273.00 to $750.00.
That was my favorite universal cross-alliance C1-C3 3x. It was a sad day.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Most likely the fare rules have changed.
For Dao? Yes
Old May 7, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by flyeer
Seems like I was only charged the base fare but they already confirmed the e-ticket. Will they ask for more money later or just cancel the ticket?
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Do let us know what happens please.
Good luck :-)
So far haven't heard anything from the airline and the CC charge for base fare went through immediately after booking. BF was about 150 EUR but with taxes and (tricked) surcharges grand total on the confirmation email is around 400e.

Any opinions what are the chances they want the difference collected at check-in? Or will they just charge my CC when they feel like it. If anyone has experience with flying tickets where the booking confirmation email shows a higher price than actually advertised and charged I would appreciate. PMs also accepted.

Looking forward to flying or denied boarding in a few weeks
Old May 7, 2017, 6:48 pm

So far haven't heard anything from the airline and the CC charge for base fare went through immediately after booking. BF was about 150 EUR but with taxes and (tricked) surcharges grand total on the confirmation email is around 400e.

Any opinions what are the chances they want the difference collected at check-in? Or will they just charge my CC when they feel like it. If anyone has experience with flying tickets where the booking confirmation email shows a higher price than actually advertised and charged I would appreciate. PMs also accepted.

Looking forward to flying or denied boarding in a few weeks
I once had an OTA charge me more than what was shown on the website when I booked.
The confirmation email also showed a higher price.
I contacted them through Facebook and send them the screenshots I made during the booking process (after getting no reply by email and calling) and they refunded me the difference within a couple of days

Last edited by Euro404; May 7, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Old May 8, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by Euro404
I once had an OTA charge me more than what was shown on the website when I booked.
The confirmation email also showed a higher price.
I contacted them through Facebook and send them the screenshots I made during the booking process (after getting no reply by email and calling) and they refunded me the difference within a couple of days
Sadly that situation is irrelevant in this case, as it would violate the most basic rule of FD.
DO NOT CONTACT THE AIRLINE.

As to the OPs question. Yes, this can be seen sometimes.
What is the $ amount of difference?
Your ticket is unlikely to be cancelled unless you contact them asking about it.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: AY Plat
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
Sadly that situation is irrelevant in this case, as it would violate the most basic rule of FD.

As to the OPs question. Yes, this can be seen sometimes.
What is the $ amount of difference?
Your ticket is unlikely to be cancelled unless you contact them asking about it.
Difference is a bit over 250$ to the 3x tricked total I see on the confirmation. About 400$ difference to a itin without 3x.

It's been over a week from booking already and I guess there is no way of checking by myself if the airline expects more payments from me or not. This is one of the situations where you really feel the urge to ask the airline but of course I have to follow the golden rule.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by flylonghaul
I forgot to say that is was a regular non-tricked flight.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Difference is a bit over 250$ to the 3x tricked total I see on the confirmation. About 400$ difference to a itin without 3x.

It's been over a week from booking already and I guess there is no way of checking by myself if the airline expects more payments from me or not. This is one of the situations where you really feel the urge to ask the airline but of course I have to follow the golden rule.
That is indeed a large amount of difference.

But you have a confirmed ticketed itinerary.
If there is an issue then they will contact you. At which point you say that you absolutely intend to fly the 3X
There is always risk with FD, and its important to factor in the risk and decide if you are happy to cough up the extra cash to travel in the case that you are asked to.

Originally Posted by Euro404
I forgot to say that is was a regular non-tricked flight.
Yes indeed.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:43 am

Strikes

So still new to this trade, but having followed this thread for some time, and doing other research and reading on the internet (and with the very much appreciated help of some members who have PM’ed me with advice), I have so far been able to find a handful of c1-c3 w/ 3x (all with the same 3x) and actually booked one. I was also able to replicate a c1-c2 w/ 3x mentioned on this thread.

While I find that finding the fares with low BF and high surcharges (with E2E and side trips permitted, etc.) is relatively easy, or at least not too laborious, I am completely missing on the method of finding strikes. Of course, I have been able to find the two strikes, but it has been just by sheer luck and the result of having tried some random combinations. I have spent 10 times as much time trying to find strikes for some c1c4, c1c5 and c1c2.5 itineraries, to no avail. So I know I am missing out on the ‘method’. Is there one? I believe there is, only because I see (some) folks on this thread speak so casually about using strikes, building complex itineraries, etc.

I don’t have the programming skills to write scripts to do massive multiple option searches (I max at the 4x4’s on ITA, and so does ITA some times ). That could be the ‘method’.

Is it that a number of people on this thread (a sub-group of sorts) just share the strikes amongst each other once they find them? I wouldn’t call that a method, but it would be extremely helpful, and efficient. And I am ready to present my qualifications for membership !

Or is it something else? If there are articles, web-blogs or other media that I could/should read, join or follow to learn about 'the method', or if you have any feedback or insights, please share, or PM me.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by mcdevit
I had booked/flown on 4 of c1-c3 routes between $300-$450 over the last 18 months. Mostly the same style 3x. A friend alerted me that he was seeing this massive jump in c1-c3.. due to the Fare Rules going EOE not permitted.

Not sure if this is the same routes/carriers you're looking at, but my experience.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by sario
Guess is useless, just check
Right. Good idea.

So I went back to check out my itinerary to use the exact information to compare the fare rules – just to learn, and when I went to the airline site, I noticed two things:

1- I am pretty sure that at the day of booking, when I had checked my itinerary on the airline site (not the OTA that I had booked through), the strike flight was there. But yesterday when I checked it wasn’t there. Certainly possible that I am mistaking and that it was never there on the airline website to begin with, but I think it was.

2- I was alarmed to see the fare on the summary screen at over $900, when my FD price on it was $425! But when I clicked the receipt link, it still showed the $425, and so does my credit card bill. I believe there have been similar issues discussed on this thread in the past, but since I do not recall the exact situation, I thought I’d share. Not too worried, and not concerned they will ask for the difference at check-in, but it is a curious situation.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tblack15
I had booked/flown on 4 of c1-c3 routes between $300-$450 over the last 18 months. Mostly the same style 3x. A friend alerted me that he was seeing this massive jump in c1-c3.. due to the Fare Rules going EOE not permitted.

Not sure if this is the same routes/carriers you're looking at, but my experience.
Yes. I just checked and you are right: E2E no longer permitted!
Old May 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

MXP to LRM €134 all in, on the blogs so no point coding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.