Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:20 pm

c4b-c1.5 one-way, ~5000 miles flown in business class for $400

Last edited by KarlPedal; Apr 10, 2017 at 5:56 pm Reason: happy? :)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by KarlPedal
c4-c1.5 one-way, ~5000 miles in business class for $400
By our conventional definitions, that could be as little as BOG -PTY.
If so, not very impressive.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
BOG-PTY is less than 500 miles, the number he quoted is 5000 miles and I assume those are flown miles and not what you would earn on award mileage.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Sorry if this didn't impress you.
I was hoping it could be useful to someone. This is 13 hours in J.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended

Sorry if this didn't impress you.
I was hoping it could be useful to someone. This is 13 hours in J.
I take it back. I did not pay sufficient attention to 5000. Now that is nice.^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:25 am

Hello for everyone!
In the current I read this topic periodically and try to find some sort of working FD
However, now I have only a superficial understanding of how this works. To understand what I need to do next, I would like to get at least a simple confirmation of the available knowledge
I understand that no one wants to reveal years of tried and tested methods, it's enough for me just to receive answer "Yes" or "No" to my statements. Can someone help me with this in the PM?
Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cerroroce24
Hi everyone i'm new in flyertalk and i felt amazed by fuel dumping. Any hints to start fueldumping a flight from c2 to c1 or c4? Thank you all for your incredible job and help.
If you are a cute italian girl (guessing by your nickname), we might make a deal. Otherwise good luck :-)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:52 am

This is 13 hours in J.
Hint, the 13 hours is the sum from two different flights, both flown in an american-made wide-body jet. With this specific routing, the price is $417.

Last edited by KarlPedal; Apr 12, 2017 at 3:54 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by EksLight
Hello for everyone!
In the current I read this topic periodically and try to find some sort of working FD
However, now I have only a superficial understanding of how this works. To understand what I need to do next, I would like to get at least a simple confirmation of the available knowledge
I understand that no one wants to reveal years of tried and tested methods, it's enough for me just to receive answer "Yes" or "No" to my statements. Can someone help me with this in the PM?
Thank you.
Why don't you make your statement here and if people feel like helping you , they will send you a pm?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Why don't you make your statement here and if people feel like helping you , they will send you a pm?
I thought it will be a violation of thread rules.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by EksLight
I thought it will be a violation of thread rules.
Don't code a question. Just make your statement and see if people respond.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:29 pm
Suspended

^
How can making a request and express a desire for response be construed as a "violation" That is what FT is all about.

Ask a straight and precise question and MAYBE someone will respond.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:21 pm

C1-C2 is one of the toughest things to dump.... Not where I would start.
Where would you start? I'm still in the "reading through the mountain of pages" stage, so narrowing it down to continents would be helpful.

One other question that is likely obvious to everyone but me: if you're doing a 1X dump, does that mean you have to actually fly that segment? What if it's somewhere a continent away?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:06 am

For now I'am received the answers already, but here are my statemets:

As I understood:
1. Dump logic linked only with the 1x, 3x, 2x etc, or with something else?
2. For the flight could be dump - it must have the base fare maximum 50-60% of total and must have EOE / side trips permitted?
3. For example 3x - it's a short-time flight operating by a small carrier, that also must have EOE / side trips permitted?
4. As the result - a dump appears, if a main carrier don't have interline with a 3x carrier?
5. Dumps can be find only in ITA or only by the aggregators, or both.
6. Overall - it's a simple search between hundreds combinations of a main flight and different 3x flights from all the world, or I can find a system?

And especially:
7. If we forget about the complexity - is it really to find a dump for ANY flight (big carriers, f.e.)?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
1) Invest all your time in 1x/3x in the begin
2) it doesn't matter to dump, but dumping a flight with 300€ basefare and 40€ YQ isn't worth it ofcourse
3) invest in the begin your time in short flights with open EoE
4) without interline (in the real defenition of the word) it would be impossible to combine the mainflights with the 3x, but you're sort of right. Read through this thread in a smart way to understand why.
5) depends on the dump, there are especially MANY that aren't ITAble
6) read the fare rules very well and learn to understand the constructions. Read through this thread in a smart way. Searching randomly for 3x'es is a loss of time.

7) 90% of the fares of the main carriers (can be argued about) can be dumped in some way, but the constructions will sometimes be so complex that it isn't worth it at all, don't invest your time in this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.