Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SaintsFan
Look in the first post above at Points in Restaurants.
Thanks-I missed that when I read the FAQs.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:49 pm

When I used to travel with my former boss who had Marriot gold status, he would book multiple hotel rooms. When we got to the hotel, my coworkers and I asked the hotel to put the rooms under our name and marriot reward #. We got the bill under our individual name and got the points but also enjoy the lounge access and free internet (we did this everytime we travel together). I was wondering anyone knows how exactly the mechanics work? I have a trip coming up where I can apply this if someone knows how this works.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:38 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Any time you use your Marriott Visa to charge your Dinining charges, you will get points, even if you are not staying at the Marriott hotel!
Old May 19, 2012, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
all Marriott Visa Premier card charges earn points..........restaurant charges, whether at a Marriott or your local McDs earn 2-points/US$ so I really don't understand your distinction for Marriott dining

Originally Posted by R&R
Any time you use your Marriott Visa to charge your Dinining charges, you will get points, even if you are not staying at the Marriott hotel!

Last edited by BKKLEE; May 19, 2012 at 2:15 am
Old May 19, 2012, 12:51 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Smile

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
all Marriott Visa Premier card charges earn points..........restaurant charges, whether at a Marriott or your local McDs earn 2-points/US$ so I really don't understand your distinction for Marriott dining
What is your distinction, or how does it differ from what i said
Note I said: "any dining will earn points"
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 pm

If I choose FF miles under my earning preferences, does that mean I am foregoing all Marriott Rewards points, even as a platinum? I guess I'm not sure why anyone would choose miles over points with the platinum bonus. I read some of the other threads and am not aware of any current mega-miles promotions. Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Well, one little ramification of a forum name change is that it screws up all the link titles. But I think I've gone through and fixed them all now.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This might be a good one to add to the list.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18416744-post11.html
Old May 19, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Any Marriot co-branded credit card in India

deleted

Last edited by abhilife2001; May 19, 2014 at 9:44 pm Reason: posted in a new thread
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:34 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Hi everyone,

I'm a Marriott newbie and am looking at booking either the brand new Courtyard or the Stones, both in Bali.

They have two offers... one is called "You Stay We Pay" with the Courtyard and the other one is a regular "Marriott Rewards Special" with The Stones.

First offer basically gets US$100 credited per booking to be used for F&B, airport transfer, upgrades, etc...
Second offer get free breakfast and 2000 bonus points.

Considering that we earn 10 points per $10 spent, I'm assuming that those 2000 bonus points would require me to spend $200 to earn, is that correct?

So I'm doing a very dumb comparison here:

$100 credit or 2000 points?

I'm thinking the 2000 bonus points is a better deal? FYI, the rate difference is only $16 for the entire stay.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

How much is the "free" breakfast worth to you over your stay? How would you use the $100 credit? I'm not familiar with The Stones or the CY there, but in general an Autograph Collection hotel would normally be a step up (or 2) from a CY. But CYs outside of NA are sometimes FS hotels even with lounges. But even there, I'm not sure a non-NA CY would be comparable to an Autograph Collection hotel.

In general, I tend to look at a Marriott point as being about $.01. So 2K points would be worth about $20.

Personally, I'd probably be leaning toward The Stones as it is probably a nicer hotel.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:52 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
How much is the "free" breakfast worth to you over your stay? How would you use the $100 credit? I'm not familiar with The Stones or the CY there, but in general an Autograph Collection hotel would normally be a step up (or 2) from a CY. But CYs outside of NA are sometimes FS hotels even with lounges. But even there, I'm not sure a non-NA CY would be comparable to an Autograph Collection hotel.

In general, I tend to look at a Marriott point as being about $.01. So 2K points would be worth about $20.

Personally, I'd probably be leaning toward The Stones as it is probably a nicer hotel.
Thanks for your input. I've been to The Stones as my friends were staying there once. It's a nice hotel but nothing spectacular I would say. Legian would also not be my preferred spot compared to Seminyak but as I said, for a tiny difference, logic would be to go for an Autograph Collection property rather than a CY
But this CY looks really nice, nothing like those old ones in NA that I've experienced before.

I will be out of the hotel diving from 7AM till 5PM so I don't absolutely need a gigantic room and I realise that my valuation of the 2000 points was not that right haha.

I'll probably go with the CY, both reservations I made are flexible anyway. Save a few bucks and use the $100 for a massage or drinks at the bar.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:47 pm

If I book a hotel for next October with points now for 2 nights and in a few months form now add 2 more consecutive nights with points, will I still get the 5th night free?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Robl
If I book a hotel for next October with points now for 2 nights and in a few months form now add 2 more consecutive nights with points, will I still get the 5th night free?
From what I know, all those need to be in the same booking..
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

If you have a current reservation and add enough nights where a '5th night free' award could be used, I would call MR customer service to get the 2 reservations combined and they should also be able to refund your original award and order/use a '5th night free' award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.