Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Convert Marriott Status to Ritz-Carlton Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

I am a former platinum (now Gold) Marriott Rewards member... will be staying at a Ritz-Carlton for the first time tomorrow.

Simple question: should I go through the process of converting my Marriott Rewards account to a Ritz-Carlton account? Are Marriott Gold customers treated at all differently from Ritz-Carlton Gold customers, in terms of upgrades or other accommodations? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences as a Marriott Gold customer at a Ritz-Carlton property?

I understand one can convert from one type of account to the other, but don't want to deal with hold times and the hassle unless it's necessary. The FAQ on the Marriott website says that converting isn't necessary, but FAQs can be deceiving. Also worried that converting the account will screw up future reservations and already-enrolled promotions.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CapitalD
I am a former platinum (now Gold) Marriott Rewards member... will be staying at a Ritz-Carlton for the first time tomorrow.

Simple question: should I go through the process of converting my Marriott Rewards account to a Ritz-Carlton account? Are Marriott Gold customers treated at all differently from Ritz-Carlton Gold customers, in terms of upgrades or other accommodations? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences as a Marriott Gold customer at a Ritz-Carlton property?

I understand one can convert from one type of account to the other, but don't want to deal with hold times and the hassle unless it's necessary. The FAQ on the Marriott website says that converting isn't necessary, but FAQs can be deceiving. Also worried that converting the account will screw up future reservations and already-enrolled promotions.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
It's exactly the same program. No difference at all. I'm treated the same and sometimes better as a Marriott Platinum at Ritz properties. My Plat account is with MR and I've been staying quite often at RC properties and don't notice any difference in status.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:01 pm

Another question which might be related to this, can I apply for Chase Ritz-Carlton credit card with Marriott Reward Membership # ?

When filling out the application form, there is a field called "Ritz-Carlton Reward Number", does it work if I put Marriott Reward Membership # ?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To this day, I don't fully understand the pros and cons to converting my account, nor what converting to RC Rewards even means to begin with.

I figure maybe it'll trigger different promos. Is that it? Benefits at properties (from Fairfield to Ritz) don't seem to change. Or do they?

I briefly thought of converting just to maybe get a cool-looking card. "Hey, look at me, I'm a Ritz-Carlton Elite!" Sounds blingier than being a Marriott Elite... But then I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I think the main reason to convert to RC is to lay the foundation to get the Southwest Companion pass
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
To this day, I don't fully understand the pros and cons to converting my account, nor what converting to RC Rewards even means to begin with.

I figure maybe it'll trigger different promos. Is that it? Benefits at properties (from Fairfield to Ritz) don't seem to change. Or do they?
Exactly, the only difference is different promos. Benefits are the same.

To the OP. You would not switch programs if you are going to only stay once at a RC property. You would switch if you stay almost exclusively at RC hotels. The benefits of the two programs are identical.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Additional differences

Hi,

Just to add another point, I did my conversion to RC rewards this year since I had lots of upcoming stays at the Ritz, what I can notice is that promo's are not that nice but what is worst is that (without knowing if it is the same customer service center for MR), I noticed that customer service response and in helping and going out of their way to help you went downhill.

I have still an open issue with them which was escalated to higher management, but after 5 weeks still heard nothing from them. If I don't hear anything next week I will put one of the board members in my response.

I never really had this problem when I contact customer service @ MR. And this year my business with them was really high especially since I had more than 2 months stay at RC's.

Cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
As someone that works at the Ritz, I can tell you that the it's not a 1:1 in terms of platinum for platinum.
Ex.The lack of comp. Club access being the main one. A day hardly goes buy with someone that has Marriott Gold/Platinum level with someone asking why it's not 1:1... Most people are ok with it, but you do get the odd upset person.
Life goes on!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you saying rc plats get comp club access? Because, in general that has not been reported here. Both MR and RC plays have had to pay for club access as the program states.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Are you saying rc plats get comp club access?
An excellent question. AFAIK, there is no "official" rule giving club access to any elite members. Now I do think that holders of the RC branded CC do get a limited number of "club access" certs, but those have nothing to do with elite status and have quite a few "restrictions" around their use.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:27 am

--deleted--

why on earth can we not delete our own posts, how utterly absurd
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
As someone that works at the Ritz, I can tell you that the it's not a 1:1 in terms of platinum for platinum.
Ex.The lack of comp. Club access being the main one. A day hardly goes buy with someone that has Marriott Gold/Platinum level with someone asking why it's not 1:1... Most people are ok with it, but you do get the odd upset person.
Life goes on!
This makes absolutely no sense since all benefits are 1:1 and RC platinum members do NOT get free access to RC club lounges.

Just to make this perfectly clear as this is not complicated:

#1 - The ONLY difference between RC rewards and Marriott rewards are the promos that are offered (!)

#2 - Other than that, ALL benefits are the same in both programs (basically repeating #1)

#3 - OF COURSE RC club lounge access is not a benefit to elites of RC or Marriott rewards. RC CLUB lounges offer free French champagne, free premium alcohol, gourmet meals all day long and a staff that serves you in luxury style from opening to closing. Whereas a Marriott or Renaissance (or Hilton or Sheraton) EXECUTIVE lounge offers a breakfast (sometimes), snacks or dinner (sometimes) and some drinks for a few hours at night (sometimes) with one staff member on duty.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
There is no comparison between the club in the RC and the Marriott. RC blows the Marriot club out of the water by far.

I can see why Ritz offers no complimentary club access, and I dont' blame them.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:18 pm

"An excellent question. AFAIK, there is no "official" rule giving club access to any elite members. Now I do think that holders of the RC branded CC do get a limited number of "club access" certs, but those have nothing to do with elite status and have quite a few "restrictions" around their use."
----------------------
Agreed. RC CC gives you 3 Club Access certificates per account year, good for up to 7 days each, upgrade at time of reservation, space available. It can pay for itself many times over if you value these benefits. Not clear about "restrictions" you mention?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeepie
Not clear about "restrictions" you mention?
I was under the impression the club access certs were only usable for certain rates (i.e. not corporate rates or discounted rates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.