Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2002, 9:58 am
Original Poster

This is probably a question you guys hear a lot, and I'm sorry for asking it again, but I'm new to Marriott Rewards, so bear with me. I noticed my nights haven't rolled over from last year yet (meaning, I still have all my nights from last year counting towards my elite status) I was told by a co-worker that the roll over would happen at the end of February, but does that mean that the counter gets reset to 0, and all my nights from January and February of this year will go away?
Thanks,
Cathy
Old Feb 7, 2002, 10:03 am

As far as I understand it, Marriott extended the deadline to qualify to 31Mar2002. This is to make up for the lack of travel after 9-11. So you have till 31Mar2002, to upgrade yourself to a higher elite status.

Old Feb 7, 2002, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
And, according to Marriott Rewards telephone customer service, your double nights (between January and March 2002) will count towards 2003 qualification as well.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 02-07-2002).]
Old Feb 7, 2002, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I had the same exact question this week. I emailed MR and here is my question via email and their response also via email:

Q) Looking at my Account activity on the MR website, I can't tell how many
nights I have been credited for for 2002 only. I'm trying to determine how
many nights I have credited toward my 2003 MR Plat renewal but the website
is still counting from 2001. Is there anyway to find out?

A) Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

As an exception this year our members have until 3/31/02 instead of 12/31/01
to renew or achieve elite levels. The nights stayed 1/1/02 to 3/31/02 will
be counted twice, once for 2001 and once for 2002. Thank you for your
loyalty to Marriott!

We are always happy to assist you with your Marriott Rewards account.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX (I've blocked out the name)
Marriott Rewards

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Jan 1 Rollover Screw-Up

Argh. My nights reset, and I was 6 nights from plat. Y'know, I've read a zillion threads here on how/when the reset works, and I thought I had some rolling room till feb or march. I guess I should've paid closer attention.

I doubt I'll even make 50 nights this year. So, aside from the rewards points, I guess I got no reason to book Marriott.....which is actually liberating, 'cuz I'm about to do a trip to towns where better/cheaper properties are not Marriott!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
The counter is from January to December of each calendar year when you login to marriott.com, but Marriott does have a rolling calendar year for qualification purposes.

Some people have received platinum again even without the necessary nights after qualifying the first time.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379
The counter is from January to December of each calendar year when you login to marriott.com, but Marriott does have a rolling calendar year for qualification purposes.

Thanks, but it's no more comprehensible in your boil-down than it was in the zillion threads. But the upshot is I'm back to needing 75 nights for plat, when a few days ago I only needed 6.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Come Fry With Me
Thanks, but it's no more comprehensible in your boil-down than it was in the zillion threads. But the upshot is I'm back to needing 75 nights for plat, when a few days ago I only needed 6.
The many threads are quite clear on this - the counter is always reset. However whatever the counter says, if you have 75 nights in a rolling 12 month period then you will be made up to platinum anyway as a concession. Check your stay profile - it might be worth a few nights in the early part of this year.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:36 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
TOMSURFER is correct. Give Marriott Rewards a call or check online how many nights you had in January of last year. If you didn't have any, then just find 6 nights to stay before February and you will be upgraded to Plat.

Actually, you might be better off getting Plat this way rather than getting the full 75 nights last year. The reason is had you stayed the fulll 75 nights, you would be Plat for the 2007 year. (Actually through Feb. 2008). But if you can make it to Plat in 2007 based on the rolling year callendar, you will not only have Plat for 2007, but also for 2008. So you would get a whole extra year.

It might be worth your time to check up on this.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:56 am

I had 74 days in 2006 and stayed three nights last week. I emailed Marriott ([email protected]) and my account was upgraded to Platinum this morning. Never hurts to ask! Just in time for a week stay at an official Marriott!!! :-)
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:42 am

Thanks, guys. yeah, that's how I had the impression I had till March, now that you explain it. When I last learned that, I checked my profile, and saw that I had very few stays in jan/feb of 2006, so I figured I'd have some time to make Plat. But then the reset (per website) threw me!

So if I track 75 stays in 12 months, do I need to call in to request plat? Or do I get it in spite of the note to the contrary on the site?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:59 pm

You don't need to call them, though it never hurts to call once you make it and check. It is always possible your numbers and theirs don't match for some reason.

But Marriott has a system in place that automatically checks this. A good thread to peruse is this one. You will see reference to both it happening automatically and others who called in probably to get the upgrade a little quicker.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jan 15, 2007 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Roll over Elite nights into 2010

Sorry if this has been posted, I looked and didn't see it.

Yesterday, Marriott announced that they would be allowing MR members to rollover any nights over the amount they needed to qualify into 2010.

So, if you're plat, and you hit 100 nights, 25 of those nights "roll" into 2010 qualification.

If you're an "extreme" plat, staying 150+ nights this year, you'd hit plat for 2 years.

Seems like almost anyone can hit silver. And if I'm reading this right - anything in excess of 10 nights but less than 50 would roll over into the following year.

Say you were silver but hit only 40 nights this year. You would start with 30 nights. And if you had the premium Visa card, you'd get an extra 15 nights for a total of 45 nights in 2010.

Almost everyone will carry over some amount of nights. Really depends on how much over the 10/50/75 mark you hit.

Billy

PS
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/For-Th...4997.html?.v=1

PPS Now that I'm grandfathered into plat for life - double elite qualifying nights (the latest mispromotion). Nor does this "enhancement" to the MR program. They really need to think about us - nights don't really do much for me now that I have hit plat emeritus
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:21 am

Marriott Concierge posted this in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...its-weird.html, and has already answered some questions around it.

But even so, it might not hurt for this topic to have its own separate thread.

Also, I'm also a LT Plat and agree that for me personally, this doesn't do much. But the real question is how many of us are out there? Probably not very many. So while it may not benefit us much, I think it may be much more interesting to those without LT status.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
PPS Now that I'm grandfathered into plat for life - double elite qualifying nights (the latest mispromotion). Nor does this "enhancement" to the MR program.
Umm...huh?

I doubt the promotion department is worried about the potential loss of revenue from the 0.001% of their target audience that is lifetime PLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.