Search

Club Marriott - Thai/HKG/China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Club Marriott - Thai/HKG/China

The new Marriott program, called Club Marriott, retains the max of 16 visits to APAC restaurants (other then the country of purchase) with 4 being the limit at the JW Marriott in HKG

In Thailand, same THB7500 price as previous Marriott gold - Thailand, but we're also losing 3 CYs in Phuket, another in Cha Am and the Marriott in Hua Hin so a real depreciation of benefits.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Mar 23, 2012 at 7:40 am
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum Premier, Marriott DC Chairman's Club, BA Executive Club Silver
Hi

I can't see any limitations on the website http://www.myclubmarriott.com requiring a local address to be eligible this time, so I am hoping that I will be able to participate as a UK resident.
To be fair though, I can't see much at all about the benefits, except the specials. I assume you need to be able to login to see these.
Can you advise if and where I can find the detailed benefits published?
Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

each country has there own contact

as a Thai resident, I can provide you with a Thai contact but can't answer your question as to whether or not residency rules will/will not be enforced as I don't have that problem

I took a look at the website you did and note that for Thailand the 3 Exec Apts in Bangkok are all duplicated

Originally Posted by bazzap
..... requiring a local address to be eligible this time, so I am hoping that I will be able to participate as a UK resident.
..............Can you advise if and where I can find the detailed benefits published?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
The new Marriott program, called Club Marriott, retains the max of 16 visits to APAC restaurants (other then the country of purchase) with 4 being the limit at the JW Marriott in HKG

In Thailand, same THB7500 price as previous Marriott gold - Thailand, but we're also losing 3 CYs in Phuket, another in Cha Am and the Marriott in Hua Hin so a real depreciation of benefits.
If I remember correctly, wasn't there unlimited restaurant visits in the country of purchase and 16 visits to APAC? Has this been changed to a total of 16 visits in the country of purchase and APAC restaurants combined?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Still the same, as stated below

Originally Posted by ral1
.........If I remember correctly, wasn't there unlimited restaurant visits in the country of purchase and 16 visits to APAC?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
In my analysis of this program (which I bought into last year), it's good for people who were going to stay at Thailand Marriotts anyway and eat in the restaurants. It's also good for people who actually planned to visit some of the resorts, where it's especially convenient to eat in the restaurants.

For those who are new to the program, there are some things you should know...

1) In addition to black out dates, there are capacity controls on the fixed rate certs. They can just say that a certain hotel has already accepted a lot of these certs during this month, they aren't going to accept any for the last half of the month (even though room categories are nowhere near being sold out). This has happened to me. It depends on the hotel (e.g., Renaisance BKK is generous, CY is stingy). The point is, don't count on being able to actually use them, unless you plan ahead and have lots of opportunities to use them. By the way, you absolutely could go ahead and make all your reservations before you even buy the package.

2) Most of the hotels do not allow you to book these rates online (using the zg4 code), so you have to call them up. (it's actually the same reservations center in BKK, no matter which hotel you initially dialed, it seems). I'm guessing this has something to do with wanting to implement capacity controls manually. Actually, this seems to have changed, with more and more hotels requiring you to call in.

3) Marriott Executives have very nice rooms, but you don't earn many points or night credits, aren't guaranteed plat benefits, can't use gift cards (last I checked), and they don't qualify for megabonus or megamile promos. Once I realized that, I refused to stay at those again.

4) I assume everyone knows that hotel restaurants are over-priced compared to outside restaurants of similar food quality, albeit convenient and pleasant. Drink prices are especially outrageous. And the 50% only applies to parties of two (though it does seem to work if you share just one dish, and there are also some coupons for 50% off with larger parties). And it's not supposed to combine with any other promotions.

5) Sometimes, the hotels actually offer cheaper rates online than the certs (especially when combined with a LNF claim). It's rare, but this happened to me a few times already, at Ren Phuket, Ren BKK, CY Patong, and CY BKK (but never at JW BKK).

6) Marriott Executive Sathorn has a rotating set menu, so it's a good idea to call or email ahead to find it if you like what's being offered. Ren Phuket didn't even have a buffet one night. The next night it was Indian only (though pretty good, if you like Indian food). Their fixed menu alternative was basically fried rice, until we complained to the manager. Then Ren BKK dinner buffet on the weekends has seafood and was quite nice (I only wish they would have satisfied my request for drawn butter). The Bangkok Marriott Resort & spa's buffet was the best for us, and included a live show; unfortunately, they have left Marriott altogether.

7) In general, the people running the program seem not to be very customer service oriented (it may be different people now). They don't always answer emails. They don't try hard to please and are inflexible. They are slow to react when there are problems (e.g., took them many months before agreeing to give us alternatives for using the Marriott Resort and Spa coupons), if they react at all.

8) to counterbalance the above points, I really like Thai Marriotts in general (the Ren BKK, in particular, is awesome if you have status). The certs earn points like any other rate and were fully transferable in the past (and I assume they still are).

I'm not saying it's a bad value for everyone (above I already said that it was good for certain types of travelers)..just that there are some frustrations that aren't necessarily obvious from the brochure.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

the certs continue to be transferable, however the card now has an imprint of the buyers name...........

Originally Posted by BigE
......... The certs earn points like any
other rate and were fully transferable in the past (and I assume
they still are).
although the new program has new people, they still lack customer service........... I tend to think of this as the "Thai osterich" way of just burying your head in the sand and thinking the problem will just go away by ignoring it

Originally Posted by BigE
......... In general, the people running
the program seem not to be very customer service oriented (it
may be different people now).
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:22 am

Does anyone know the new code for booking the hotel in Thailand? I believe ZG4 only works for the old Marriott Gold Card. Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I suspect that since the new Club Marriott no longer offers the 5 50% off vouchers that the properties previously usable have deleted the ZG4 rates........
the new Club Marriott will eventually offer BAR -20% once it's finalyzed......
for now, to use the vouchers you have to call/e-mail the property concerned

Originally Posted by YYZ7464
Does anyone know the new code for booking the hotel in Thailand? I believe ZG4 only works for the old Marriott Gold Card. Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I suspect that since the new Club Marriott no longer offers the 5 50% off vouchers that the properties previously usable have deleted the ZG4 rates........
the new Club Marriott will eventually offer BAR -20% once it's finalyzed......
for now, to use the vouchers you have to call/e-mail the property concerned
luckly,package that I got have 50% off vouchers and still 65 vouchers as the list when bought
Now, most of hotels shut down the online reservation tunnel
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:57 am

3 CYs in HKT:
Courtyard By Marriott Phuket at Surin Beach——Destination Surin Resort and Spa
Courtyard by Marriott Phuket at Patong Beach——Destination Patong Hotel and Spa
Courtyard by Marriott Phuket at Kamala Beach——Swissotel Resort Phuket
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Last week I made an inquiry as to a new membership and they emailed me all of the info within a few days. When I get back to the laptop and off the iPad I will post the benni's that were sent to me. First, the card has two rates 6500 and 7500 baht. It seems that the more expensive membership is for a second card for a spouse or family member. In my case I would only get the lower cost card as my wife and I would travel together.

When I go to BKK for work I usually stay at the Sheraton. For the first time in years I am headed to Thailand for an all RnR trip, first the Conrad in Samui for 5 nts then the JW Phuket for 5 nts--all pt stays.

At the JW I do not anticipate leaving the resort very often and probably taking most meals on site. Bfast is free for Golds so we will be paying for lunch drinks (not big drinkers) and dinners. Thinking we'll probably drop about $1k in food and drinks. Wife will also spa it up every day.

With the 50% saving in F&B the card will pay for itself right there. Add in the spa savings and it's all gravy. Seems like a no-brainier for 6500 baht right? Even if I use the membership for the discounts on this trip only and never touch the vouchers. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Last week I made an inquiry as to a new membership and they emailed me all of the info within a few days. When I get back to the laptop and off the iPad I will post the benni's that were sent to me. First, the card has two rates 6500 and 7500 baht. It seems that the more expensive membership is for a second card for a spouse or family member. In my case I would only get the lower cost card as my wife and I would travel together.

When I go to BKK for work I usually stay at the Sheraton. For the first time in years I am headed to Thailand for an all RnR trip, first the Conrad in Samui for 5 nts then the JW Phuket for 5 nts--all pt stays.

At the JW I do not anticipate leaving the resort very often and probably taking most meals on site. Bfast is free for Golds so we will be paying for lunch drinks (not big drinkers) and dinners. Thinking we'll probably drop about $1k in food and drinks. Wife will also spa it up every day.

With the 50% saving in F&B the card will pay for itself right there. Add in the spa savings and it's all gravy. Seems like a no-brainier for 6500 baht right? Even if I use the membership for the discounts on this trip only and never touch the vouchers. Am I missing something?
the card has two rates
7500b or 8500b with additional card
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Absolutely right 8500/7500. Thanks for the correction.

So what do you all think? Worth it for my case?

I also have the latest English Benefits list. Too much to post, but PM me and I can email it to anyone interested. No residency requirements.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Absolutely right 8500/7500. Thanks for the correction.

So what do you all think? Worth it for my case?

I also have the latest English Benefits list. Too much to post, but PM me and I can email it to anyone interested. No residency requirements.
the latest version is curtailed and lack of much valuable vouchers

not worth to buy, I think

BTW:GMS group take over the new program,not a good thing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.