Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotel Cancelation Policy vs. SPG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;

As Lifetime Platinum, have begun experimenting with SPG properties. An immediate drawback to SPG is the cancellation policy. While Marriott allows cancellation till 6:00 PM day of arrival on most non-resort properties, SPG policy is 6:00 PM on day prior to the stay.

Major drawback here for SPG and great advantage to Marriott
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm not sure these are chain-wide policies. I have a 24-hr cancellation policy for my Wednesday Marriott stay, and 6pm day-of for tonight's SPG stay.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Most of the time, Marriott properties have more lenient cancellation policies versus Hilton, Starwood and Hyatt. There are exceptions, but I seldom see a full service Hyatt allowing canceling a reservation on day of arrival. Many FS Hyatt properties will also charge a day's room and tax if you shorten your reservation.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm not sure these are chain-wide policies. I have a 24-hr cancellation policy for my Wednesday Marriott stay, and 6pm day-of for tonight's SPG stay.
you are correct cancellation policies are location specific however IMO a Starwood hotel tends to have a much more restrictive cxl policy....but as I sit here and think about it more I'm not sure it's fair to compare both chains as MI is 4X larger than SPG so while it might be true as a % of total that SPG hotels are stricter it might be a lower total #
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:02 am
Suspended

Generally with US properties that I am more familair with, with what I have seen the OP's and VA's observations have been what I have encountered -- Marriott family property more often than not have Day of Arrival Cx policies whereas SPG generally has 1 day prior Cx restrictions.

My limited experience with IHG, is that similar to Marriott, they have Day of Arrival Cx policies, as well.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
This is far and away one of the best things about the Marriott chain of hotels. Having traveled extensively using Marriott/Starwood for the past 10 years, I would say at least 90%+ of my Marriott stays allow day of cancellation and about 90%+ of my Starwood stays require cancellation at least 24 hours notice.

In my line of work where things can change in 5 minutes for where I travel, this is an enormous benefit to Marriott.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I'm usually able to get around the 24 hour requirement from most chains if I'm using either a corp rate or aaa/aarp rate. Not always and I can't decipher which chains require 24 hours on those rates as well, but many don't. Seems like it's more of a hotel specific rule than a chain specific rule.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
As a side note, I've had times where I've cancelled after 6pm and still was refunded 100% of my money. Good CS.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I look at my corp rate for both my normal Marriott and Starwood hotels, they're 6PM day of arrival.

I notice the 72 hour thing on Hilton quite a bit.

Marriott has allowed me to cancel well past 6PM as well. During the freak blizzard back in October, they refunded a prepaid stay in New York City at 9PM. I was stuck in Jersey...60 miles from the hotel...they refunded it with no questions asked.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Three out of my last four Starwood reservation had day of arrival cancel deadlines, either at 4 pm or 6 pm IIRC. It depends very much on the rate you have and any local special events, although city/airport/suburban properties are more liberal than resorts or destination hotels. Some properties will waive the penalty if you are a frequent guest, an elite, or have a very good reason such as a cancelled flight. Ask.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Here in the UK we have virtually no SPG hotels but I would be very reluctant to book my biz stays with a 24 hour cancellation policy, since my schedule can change at the whims of others (no arguing with judges!). I probably cancel about 1 in 5 of my bookings on the day, and more than once have been advised of cancellation en route, one call to marriott and cancelled easily, without penalty or problem. It's a very significant advantage they share with IHG which is why all my biz stays are with these 2 chains.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's probably more of a determining factor than brand - whether it's a city hotel or a destination/resort hotel.

Today, I booked three hotels, all in Jordan. Le Meridien Amman (cancel day of arrival), Marriott Petra (72 hours), Marriott Dead Sea (72 hours). It's a vacation for us, the best rates were either awards or non-corporate rates, but I'm guessing LM Amman is more of a business hotel than the other two.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Confused about 24-hour cancellation policy

I have a reservation at a Courtyard (Stockton) for Tuesday. Cancellation policy is "24 hours", therefore Monday.

What time on Monday would that mean -- until midnight? Or standard check-in or ???

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What's the actual text?

When I mock up a stay for Tuesday, every rate says "You may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 9, 2017 (1 day[s] before arrival)." which, IMHO, is 11:59p local hotel time Monday.

Most rates I've looked at recently have "6pm local hotel time" or "24 prior to hotel check-in time" or something a bit more specific.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What I hate is that when it says cancel the day before arrival, and I cancel the day before arrival, I receive a warning about the cancellation fee requiring an extra click, which can easily be missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.