Wiki Posts
Search

Do Marriott points expire?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 1999, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Expiring Points?

I currently have 170,000+ Marriott Reward points. My travels now have me staying at Hyatts & Starwoods so I have not stayed at a Marriott property this year. Does anyone know if my points will expire? I couldn't find anything on the web site and was wondering if I should just stay once or twice at a Marriott before year end to ensure my account stays active.
Old Oct 5, 1999, 5:49 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No expiration policy at present! You should be okay!
Old Oct 5, 1999, 5:59 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
gisela still has (since 1996?) just 1'700 points in her account (from one single one-day stay) - and they are still there.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:05 pm

Do Marriott points expire?

I don't use Marriott much, but have about 35K points from past usage. I looked at FAQ on Marriott to see if there is an expiration and didn't see anything mentioned.

Thought I'd see if anyone here knew for sure.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:12 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, but they do potential devalue themselves!
Old Sep 16, 2002, 12:15 pm

http://www.marriottrewards.com/rewar...ms/default.asp

See #1, #2 and #4.
Old Sep 16, 2002, 1:03 pm

Thanks -

I guess the real question wasn't whether they expire, but if they can be lost if there is no activity.

I wonder if they actually do that - if so I'll have to do something about it.

I just called Marriott and spoke to someone. She first assured me that I could never lose my points - until I read from the T+C the line: "An account may be closed at Marriott's discretion if no points are accrued during a 24-month period. All points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

She checked with someone and was told they are now warning people of this, but they don't necessarily ever actually do it, and they haven't seen it done yet. But she could no longer assure me it wouldn't happen.

[This message has been edited by VolleyballFerd (edited 09-16-2002).]
Old Oct 31, 2003, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Marriott Rewards Points Expirations???

My wife and I have stopped travelling for work the last couple years, but still I have 250,000 points in my account. We had planned to use them this past spring for a 7 night Ritz award, but we cancelled when she got pregnant.

That said...I think the true T&C's say that Marriott can pull the points after 2 years of inactivity. Its been just over 2 years for me since I have had a qualifying stay. I have had activity, specifically the redemption and redeposit of points for the Ritz award.

Lastly in the mix - I'm still a Silver member via Marriott just extending and extending status.

So -anyone have a good read whether these points will magically disappear? I am very close to just redeeming for another 7 night Ritz certificate and then redepositing so I can "protect" my points.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2003, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EC Traveler:
My wife and I have stopped travelling for work the last couple years, but still I have 250,000 points in my account. We had planned to use them this past spring for a 7 night Ritz award, but we cancelled when she got pregnant.

That said...I think the true T&C's say that Marriott can pull the points after 2 years of inactivity. Its been just over 2 years for me since I have had a qualifying stay. I have had activity, specifically the redemption and redeposit of points for the Ritz award.

Lastly in the mix - I'm still a Silver member via Marriott just extending and extending status.

So -anyone have a good read whether these points will magically disappear? I am very close to just redeeming for another 7 night Ritz certificate and then redepositing so I can "protect" my points.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
</font>
Edited because I'm an idiot and didn't fully read post.

[This message has been edited by fireworksboy (edited 10-31-2003).]
Old Oct 31, 2003, 8:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
So I'm curious what the post was prior to editing, since I didn't catch it in time. Could use a good laugh.

Seriously - anyone know how it goes?
Old Oct 31, 2003, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
I was wondering how you maintained status after not using Marriott for 2 years. Then I saw that MR kept you at silver without any prompting from you. This is why I'm an idiot, you/I should read the posts completely before responding. I'm a Plat who has left MR (only 25 nights this year as opposed to 110 last year because of their deception concerning upgrades to "finest available") and am giving my business to *wood. Maybe they'll only send me down to silver and keep me there hoping I'll come back someday too.
Edited for spelling - in case you were wondering.

[This message has been edited by fireworksboy (edited 10-31-2003).]
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireworksboy:
I'm a Plat who has left MR (only 25 nights this year as opposed to 110 last year because of their deception concerning upgrades to "finest available") and am giving my business to *wood. Maybe they'll only send me down to silver and keep me there hoping I'll come back someday too.
</font>
Generally Marriott will lower you only one level per year, so as a current Platinum, you may be reduced only to Gold this coming year, and Silver in 2005.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 12:38 pm

My brother was a Platinum & was dropped to silver after leaving his travel heavy job. His points are still active after 5 years, as we are using them for a rewards stay in January. (Nice gift, eh?!!) He does, however, have a MR Visa, which he uses to make an occaisional charge, so he adds a few points every year. Even if you just stay one night at a Marriott property, it will keep your account active.

------------------
2 dummies who are new to this FF stuff, but trying to learn.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Back to the original question....

I doubt if redeeming then redepositing a reward is considered 'activity', although the computer that scans the file probably wouldn't know the difference. I just got a note from Hilton that my 200K+ points would be wiped away without activity in the next 90 days. Just buy something from an affiliate site, stay 1 night somewhere cheap, etc. to be sure.

I'm sure a search of FT and MRs T&C's will yield more info.
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:11 am

Accordind T&C you just need to get some new points (e.g. with any partner like AMEX,Diners, SkyMall,Hertz etc.)within 24 month.
"An account may be closed at Marriott's discretion if no points are accrued during a 24-month period. All points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.