Wiki Posts
Search

Points in Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium & LT Gold
Points in Restaurants

Does Marriott have, like SPG, that you get points for dining without staying?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by fmisle
Does Marriott have, like SPG, that you get points for dining without staying?
No. To get them at Marriott you have to be staying at the property.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Actually, that appears to be not wholly correct.

I recently dined at a Marriott hotel and tried to have the dinner applied to a phantom room and then pay at the front desk -- the front desk nixed that idea.

HOWEVER, I used my Marriott Visa to pay for the dinner and the dine was just coded as a Marriott hotel charge. I will soon see if it does indeed recieve a multiplier when paying with a Marriott Visa for a hotel stay, but it looks likely that I will get it, so one can't be sure just how a hotel restaurant will code the dine.

I will let you know when the charges post to my account.

NJ
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Actually, that appears to be not wholly correct.

I recently dined at a Marriott hotel and tried to have the dinner applied to a phantom room and then pay at the front desk -- the front desk nixed that idea.

HOWEVER, I used my Marriott Visa to pay for the dinner and the dine was just coded as a Marriott hotel charge. I will soon see if it does indeed recieve a multiplier when paying with a Marriott Visa for a hotel stay, but it looks likely that I will get it, so one can't be sure just how a hotel restaurant will code the dine.

I will let you know when the charges post to my account.

NJ
I'm still thinking this would be more an exception than a rule, as I've been told no every time. But do report back! Of course for those that don't have or can't use Marriott Visa due to corp cards, they may still be out of luck.

FWIW - I'd rag on Marriott re: this, but I don't think the other big brands do it either - Starwood being the exception.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Marriott Visa
Sharon - Do you mean Marriott Master Card?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:49 pm

The few times where I have dined at a Marriott (but not been in-house) I have been somewhat successful in getting points for the meal.

Both times I had to goto the FD first and find an employee willing to play, they setup a reservation and then assign me a room number to charge against.

Then I dine at the restaurant, fill the receipt out like I was a hotel guest and checkout at the FD.

I have luck with this route at 3 Marriotts and been denied at 4 trying this same route, so I guess it depends on the hotel.

Dan
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Sharon - Do you mean Marriott Master Card?

There is Marriott Visa Signature card from chase.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by sunrider101
There is Marriott Visa Signature card from chase.
Not where I live!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:54 am
Suspended

Marriott points from the dine were credited as a stay at the hotel so I received the 5X multiplier!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:44 am

Cool NJ! But I think those not using the Marriott Visa or Marriott Mastercard are still going to be out of luck for the most part.

I want points just as much as the next person, but I'm not going to go through the rigamarole of trying to convince a FDC to set up a dummy room reservation that I can charge against & then checkout. Just strikes me as wrong, not to mention it's a hassle.

OVMV.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I want points just as much as the next person, but I'm not going to go through the rigamarole of trying to convince a FDC to set up a dummy room reservation that I can charge against & then checkout. Just strikes me as wrong, not to mention it's a hassle.
I'm not sure if it is "wrong" or not, but that is pretty much the official procedure for getting SPG points for dining without staying at the hotel.

But even though that is their "official" procedure, from some of the posts in the Starwood forum, it looks like it can be a bit of a pain getting everything right. If it can be a pain where they have an actual "policy", what would it be like at a Marriott where there isn't a standard policy? So I have to agree with your second part about it being a hassle.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Even Hyatt GP members get points for dining in hotel's restaurant without being a registered guest at the property!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes if you go to the front desk and ask to set up a charge account, they will give a 'dummy' room acct number that you can charge to. Then have your or whatever, charge to the room and then close out the acct. I've never done this for a single meal, but have when I've been staying at a property on vacation where there is an adjoining marriott that doesn't have the accounts cross linked so I could charge there for the week.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better than Hilton who is refusing to give us points for a dinner at the Hilton LHR T4 despite the fact that we were staying there albeit, on an Aadvantage redemption. Same trip I had an award stay at a Marriott and while I had to send in the folio to get points for incidentals, I was able to get them.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Marriott points from the dine were credited as a stay at the hotel so I received the 5X multiplier!
That is good to know. So if I am staying at a Marriott and dine at the hotel restaurant, is it better (pointswise) to charge the meal to the room (paid with corporate card) or put it on my Visa and get reimbursed? Do you get 10 points per dollar if you charge to the room? In another scenario, what if I stay at a Fairfield and walk over to Marriott to eat? Any way to get the 10 points under those circumstances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.