Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Should I transfer my Marriott account to the new Ritz Carlton Awards Program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska

I'm not sure what makes sense, to transfer it or just have two accounts. Can anyone make sense of this?
https://reservations.ritzcarlton.com...ite.nonrewards
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
It was specified that you can't have 2 accounts. For all intents and purposes though, it looks like they are one program. All points/elite night credits/and status can be switched back and forth at any time. The only difference is that your communications will come from RC if you enrolled in that program, and MR if you are enrolled in that program.

Edit to add: three are still some questions outstanding regarding the treatment of RC stays / RC enrollment for promotion treatment (like the Megabonus), as well as the counting towards LT status. It seems like the concensus is to stay with MR until we know more.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by msuroo
It seems like the concensus is to stay with MR until we know more.
Unless you really do 75 nights with Ritz-Carlton each year (lucky you) in which case you'd probably appreciate the exclusive benefits from RC, which will no doubt cost a huge number of points, that you would probably earn unless you have some good corporate deals imho.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Unless you really do 75 nights with Ritz-Carlton each year (lucky you) in which case you'd probably appreciate the exclusive benefits from RC, which will no doubt cost a huge number of points, that you would probably earn unless you have some good corporate deals imho.
Where was it even stated that someone staying 75 nights in an RC would be treated differently then any other plat? Everything I've seen so far seems to point to the same elite benefits, regardless of program enrollment.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
I just called Rity as I have a ressie there in november, and asked about the programs. basically he said if you travel marriott all the time stay there don't "link" the account to Ritz Rewards.

Basically he said if you did you'd get mailings and messages from ritz not marriott, intended for thier loyal ritz guests. But benefits are the same on either program, just a matter of how you want to see your correspondence arrive - marriott centered or ritz-centered

So finally get earn MR points at RITZ and get MR recognition there, although the benefits are not fully MR ones - they don't "guarantee" room type for example but do give free interent, room upgrades if available, and 1000 bonus points as arrival gift.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I saw mention of photo trips with national geographic and abercrombie and fitch rewards somewhere on the promo site announcing all this, they aren't marriott reward partners afaik. This was the reason for my post, even though I'd expect them to be hugely expensive in points terms
Old May 18, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: hyatt
if both programs are the same, does it make financial sense, for MR, to have 2 programs?
Old May 18, 2012, 8:35 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dabaobao
if both programs are the same, does it make financial sense, for MR, to have 2 programs?
Given that "under the hood" both programs are the same, the only extra expense is marketing. And I suspect that Marketing is the main reason to have the programs "look" different. This allows Marriott to target promotions and adverts more effectively.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If I open an RC account does my MR elite status transfer to RC?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:43 am

If you already have a Marriott Rewards account, then you shouldn't be "opening" a RC account. You will only need to convert the account to RC. (Which I think you can do online or call MR to do.)

And if you convert your account to RC, your elite status will follow you.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
This is not necessarily true. You want to isolate your stays at the type of property you stay at most. A Ritz Platinum is treated differently at a Ritz property than a Marriott Platinum (better). Not sure how a Ritz Platinum is treated at a Marriott property, but I would think it would be better than a Marriott Platinum would be treated at a Ritz property.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
If you already have a Marriott Rewards account, then you shouldn't be "opening" a RC account. You will only need to convert the account to RC. (Which I think you can do online or call MR to do.)

And if you convert your account to RC, your elite status will follow you.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I thought we already dispelled this myth?
For all intents and purposes these 2 membership are identical i believe.

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
This is not necessarily true. You want to isolate your stays at the type of property you stay at most. A Ritz Platinum is treated differently at a Ritz property than a Marriott Platinum (better). Not sure how a Ritz Platinum is treated at a Marriott property, but I would think it would be better than a Marriott Platinum would be treated at a Ritz property.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Say's who?
I've been told what I stated by many Ritz Carlton managers and have experienced it as well

We do Marriott stays under my name, and Ritz under husbands

On one trip we booked two separate rooms (I use my maiden name with Marriott, to hard to change), two separate reservations - he had a lower status with Ritz than I did in Marriott. He got an upgraded room - I did not.

Originally Posted by tomy77
I thought we already dispelled this myth?
For all intents and purposes these 2 membership are identical i believe.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Say's who?
I've been told what I stated by many Ritz Carlton managers and have experienced it as well

We do Marriott stays under my name, and Ritz under husbands

On one trip we booked two separate rooms (I use my maiden name with Marriott, to hard to change), two separate reservations - he had a lower status with Ritz than I did in Marriott. He got an upgraded room - I did not.
You frequently talk to Ritz managers about your status? I've never noticed any difference between Silver, Gold, and Platinum as far as treatment goes. Well, aside from my guarantee'd benefits that come with the level.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:44 pm

Say's who?
Given that anyone can literally switch between the two programs at will, if what you say is true, then just switch your program to RC when you have an RC stay. Then switch it back to Marriott when you have a stay there. I know of no restrictions on switching back and forth so it shouldn't be a problem. (Though I don't remember if you can do it online or if you have to call MR and have them do it.)

This way, you will be an RC Plat when you are staying at an RC hotel. You will be a Marriott Plat when you are staying at a Marriott hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.