Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:30 pm

I have never seen $200 MC GC @ Safeway stores. The coupon that printed out with the $100 GC is $10 off $25.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by msnut1
I have never seen $200 MC GC @ Safeway stores. The coupon that printed out with the $100 GC is $10 off $25.
Same here, a couple times ago the double coupon glitch was with Visas. This deal is pretty worthless, I'm still in for a few over the next month, but no real churnability this time.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by slack455
Same here, a couple times ago the double coupon glitch was with Visas. This deal is pretty worthless, I'm still in for a few over the next month, but no real churnability this time.
They've never been churnable. Too many restrictions and always require manual intervention (for me at least).

It's just a bonus for doing what we do (buying GCs) to spend on food/beverage EDS. Safeway always has fantastic food deals. 4oz lobster tails in the 50% off bin for $4 and sometimes $3.50 for example. Nothing like serving up your lady a lobby tail and petite filet mignon, that you paid less than $10 for, to get the night started...
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by slack455
To me, this deal is churnable to the extent that I need to buy groceries. You are effectively paying $6 per coupon which enables you to obtain $25 worth of groceries for $15. In other words, you buy $25 worth of groceries for $21. This is effectively a 16% discount, which makes Safeway cheaper than Walmart on most items.

Oh, and that doesn't include the 100 points you get in your reward program.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by cbn42
To me, this deal is churnable to the extent that I need to buy groceries.
I know it's a little off topic but I still don't understand why anybody shops groceries at Safeway/Vons in the first place. We save more money by getting identical products somewhere else for regular price than we could ever make up in savings or coupon clipping with Vons. Even those advertised "everyday low prices" at Walmart are way overpriced for most items...

Not sure if this will be moderated away but I wrote an article on Seeking Alpha about this topic last year.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:21 pm

I don't think this deal is worthless. If you shop at Safeway anyway (to collect gas points), use a Grocery rewards card which gives back 3-5% (which I use), and can liquidate at a Walmart Kiosk (which I have), then this is quite a nice deal. Granted, not as good as a $10 off $10 coupon.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:31 pm

So I went to my favorite Vons (been going here for about 2 months). They don't let you buy the gc at the cashier. You have to go to customer service and the manager sells you the gc. Well. today, the same manager that have been helping me for a few weeks now. said,"sorry, we can't sell you cards anymore". So pretty much I have been blacklisted at this Vons.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hit Safeway 3 times over the last 2 days for $100 MGC. Different cashiers & times. Also using different Safeway shopping cards each time.

2 times I got the $10 off coupon. 3rd time the coupon didn't print. I asked innocently about the coupon, they puzzled over it as is usual then gave me the $10 store gift card for it.

So next time I shop I'll be able to pick up $25 of staple items for $5. Sweet!

My other local store didn't have signs up on their end-cap display. I'll check back in a few days and if they do I'll hit them up too at least one time. Every little bit helps when I'm trying to hit a spend threshold.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:23 am

My Vons doesn't allow CCs for any GCs
With the GC fees you only save $4.... not to mention Vons is highly overpriced.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:35 pm

Went in today and purchased a $100 MC from my Safeway. The coupon didn't print so I was directed to the manager who just handed me $10!

That works for me!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Bought $100 MC with 5% CC. $10 coupon printed, no problem.

Rinse and repeat.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
I know it's a little off topic but I still don't understand why anybody shops groceries at Safeway/Vons in the first place. We save more money by getting identical products somewhere else for regular price than we could ever make up in savings or coupon clipping with Vons. Even those advertised "everyday low prices" at Walmart are way overpriced for most items...

Not sure if this will be moderated away but I wrote an article on Seeking Alpha about this topic last year.
I buy my meat at Vons. Walmarts meat is crap! Also Vons does have good deals like buy one get one etc. Buy 2 Twelve packs of cokes get 3 free etc.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
It's football season! Spend the coupon on tailgating supplies, combined with the NFL promo they have going on. For example, if you buy a 2 liter diet Pepsi for 99 cents, you get 50 cents of credit at the NFL shop. I've already racked up $60 of credit since that promo began (Go Chargers!)
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bobunf
Bought $100 MC with 5% CC. $10 coupon printed, no problem.

Rinse and repeat.
Watch the expiration dates. I racked up a bunch with the last promo and ended up handing out a few in line to incredulous fellow shoppers.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:56 pm

This has been my RLit source and today I was told, "cash only."

Bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.