Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Every little bit helps when I'm trying to hit a spend threshold.
Are you trying to reach a spend threshold on a DL card?

Can DL AmEx cards be used to buy these $100 MGCs at Safeway?

Isn't that considered a "cash equivalent" or some such that is not counted toward reaching the spend threshold on a DL card?

I'm a complete newby, so please forgive my ignorance...
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyertall
Are you trying to reach a spend threshold on a DL card?

Can DL AmEx cards be used to buy these $100 MGCs at Safeway?

Isn't that considered a "cash equivalent" or some such that is not counted toward reaching the spend threshold on a DL card?

I'm a complete newby, so please forgive my ignorance...
I am close to $5K spend on Chase Ink to trigger 70,000+ point bonus, is what I'm chasing. Just went over on my Ink, and about $60 away from spouses' Ink. After that I'd only use a card with good cashback or grocery multiple.

I wouldn't ordinarly bother with using a credit card that's only going to yield 1x. I used to do what you are probably doing with Delta, it worked fine to hit my MQM bumps. If you have any doubts you can always call up and ask how close you are at that moment, they have data that is just now shown to you on the website and will happily tell you.

But I have abandoned any efforts myself with Delta this year. Delta changing things twice or more a year now, has soured me on them quite thoroughly. Good luck!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:35 pm

Fascinating stuff. I'm so new at this it is sickening. Grocery Multiple? 1x points unacceptable? The level of consumer awareness and sophistication around here makes me think I've been using dollar bills as toilet paper, I've been so wasteful of legal opportunities to save.

This website is like eating fruitcake... too dense and rich to process in anything but small morsels. I do appreciate your response... I've got some serious chewing to do!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:45 am

Fascinating stuff. I'm so new at this it is sickening. Grocery Multiple? 1x points unacceptable? The level of consumer awareness and sophistication around here makes me think I've been using dollar bills as toilet paper, I've been so wasteful of legal opportunities to save.

This website is like eating fruitcake... too dense and rich to process in anything but small morsels. I do appreciate your response... I've got some serious chewing to do!
Meaning your Delta card is only giving you 1 SkyPeso to the dollar.

Plenty of cards that can give at least 2 points per dollar.

And there are cashback cards, like the American Express BlueCash that could give you 3% back instead.

However I used my Chase Ink to buy the Safeway $100 MGC, as I don't care much about getting only 1 Chase point per dollar at this moment. I care a lot about tripping over the $5,000 of spend to get the 70,000 point signup bonus.

For years I maintained Delta Medallion status multiple ways, personal travel plus the occasional cheap Mileage/Vacation Run, and hitting Delta AmEx card spend threshold to get the MQM bonus. But Delta has ceased to be rewarding for me, I will be burning my SkyPesos and moving on. The Delta card is on ice, and will probably cancel it soon.

Now I focus on points programs that are more versatile like Chase, American Express, Barclay, FlexPerks, etc.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:22 am

ElPresidente, the only way I seem to learn is the hard way. But at least along this hard way, there are bright lights along the road like you for me to see the next turn off sign.

I'm trying to figure out now if buying those $100 Safeway MCG's would be considered "Eligible Spending" on the Reserve card. As a Delta card holder, do you happen to know?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:38 pm

I'm trying to figure out now if buying those $100 Safeway MCG's would be considered "Eligible Spending" on the Reserve card. As a Delta card holder, do you happen to know?
I believe just about anything you buy is eligible.

I vaguely recall one month I missed a payment, and they didn't give me the points for that month. When I called in about it, they gave me the points back but there was a penalty fee to "buy" them back. That fee of course wasn't eligible spend, yet it was totalled under the YTD on the web site.

Call and ask them what total they see, and you'll know what the difference between the 2 figures is. It's not secret information or anything they will happily tell you.

Good luck!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:46 pm

this deal isnt 1 coupon per safeway card/household, isnt it?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice to see that Safeway GC deal is back in action. 10% rebate plus points is a sweet deal. Alas, my local weekly ad only references 2x safeway points but maybe there is an in-store promo

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
follow up to this post:
the story of the criminal using a stolen card to buy $10k is true.

however, the $1k limit was an exaggeration. i saw the actual store manager- he knows i buy a lot of cards. anyway, he said anything over $5k will get flagged. even if you split it and do several transactions, it will flag for corporate loss prevention dept. (ie: not just at store level)- so kinda like velocity limits at the walmart kiosk. if that amount gets rung up over a period of time, it flags. when it flags, loss prevention calls the manager in a tizzy, and it rolls downhill from there.

the getting fired if a mgr overrides/approves a stolen credit card and they didn't check ID is real. so, as with the supervisor in my store, some will err on the side of caution. of course, stores can set limits below corp. guidelines, so, as always, ymmv.
Quite a reasonable approach. Safeway set up this promo to encourage people to buy GCs @Safeway (and they get a cut of the fees) not to enable criminals and MS.

Originally Posted by xraywinedrinker
$5.95 for $100. I haven't seen $200 MC but VGC are $6.95.
This is only worthy if you can get $200MC and have two coupons print.
Every time I see this promotion I shed a tear with the loss of gas rewards
Is this limited to MCs which come with a fee? Personally I would rather buy no-fee cards from Amazon, Starbucks, etc. where I will be spending anyway.

And seriously, how many gas rewards are lost? $10 coupon used for $10 safeway spend = 1 cent per gallon. That's negligible, especially for families that spend 100s on food. Even if you churn $1k that's a single 10c per gallon reward, or about $1.50 on a 15gal purchase. I'll take the $10 any day.

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Meaning your Delta card is only giving you 1 SkyPeso to the dollar.

Plenty of cards that can give at least 2 points per dollar.

And there are cashback cards, like the American Express BlueCash that could give you 3% back instead.
Concur. If you are not spending to hit threshold bonus but just looking to maximize your ROI on groceries, there are much better options than Amex. Personally I like the 3% JCB card or 2% Fidelity cash back (BofA also has a card that offers 2% cash back on groceries). And of course generic Chase points though personally I prefer SPG.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by oozze
this deal isnt 1 coupon per safeway card/household, isnt it?
No I've done it a few times on the same Safeway card. I think it says limit one per day.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visited my local Safeway here in Northern California today - very interesting experience.

There is a better deal thru Tuesday - buy $50 of certain giftcards, get $10 safeway coupon. ^ However none of the displays were tagged with the eligible cards which supposedly include Fandango, Coldstone, etc. Very frustrating but may pursue Monday if I have time and they have cards I can actually use.

Also saw the $10 for $100 deal but it was unfortunately limited to the MCs that come with service fees Not worth my time for a paltry $4 return but YMMV
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
There is a better deal thru Tuesday - buy $50 of certain giftcards, get $10 safeway coupon
that can be only be redeemed against $25 or more of groceries.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
that can be only be redeemed against $25 or more of groceries.
My wife can do that in a blink of an eye

Seriously if you spend your time earning points through MS but can't spend $25 at Safeway you are doing something wrong. @:-)

I will take $10 in Safeway cash any day over a few airline points
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Also saw the $10 for $100 deal but it was unfortunately limited to the MCs that come with service fees Not worth my time for a paltry $4 return but YMMV
If you use a 5% CB card that 4 becomes 9.29
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Seriously if you spend your time earning points through MS but can't spend $25 at Safeway you are doing something wrong.
If you need an excuse to burn $25 @ Safeway then you're doing something wrong. These same $25 would get you stuff you actually need worth north of $35 in any other store.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
If you need an excuse to burn $25 @ Safeway then you're doing something wrong. These same $25 would get you stuff you actually need worth north of $35 in any other store.
People need to get over this. If it were true, few people would shop there.

First, items are priced differently in different regions. Second, different places have varying levels of competition.

When I lived in the SF Bay Area, the choices for grocery were Safeway, Lucky, and a couple smaller chains geared toward Hispanics. Prices on staples didn't vary widely, and Safeway more or less owned the market based on number of locations.

Now that I live down south, I regularly shop Vons (Safeway), Ralphs (Kroger), Albertsons, and Food4Less (also Kroger). And there are a number of smaller chains to which I'll go to pick up sale items. It's super competitive and prices can vary widely.

Your personal Safeway experience does not define the experience for everyone everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.