FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:23 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Nice to see that Safeway GC deal is back in action. 10% rebate plus points is a sweet deal. Alas, my local weekly ad only references 2x safeway points but maybe there is an in-store promo

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
follow up to this post:
the story of the criminal using a stolen card to buy $10k is true.

however, the $1k limit was an exaggeration. i saw the actual store manager- he knows i buy a lot of cards. anyway, he said anything over $5k will get flagged. even if you split it and do several transactions, it will flag for corporate loss prevention dept. (ie: not just at store level)- so kinda like velocity limits at the walmart kiosk. if that amount gets rung up over a period of time, it flags. when it flags, loss prevention calls the manager in a tizzy, and it rolls downhill from there.

the getting fired if a mgr overrides/approves a stolen credit card and they didn't check ID is real. so, as with the supervisor in my store, some will err on the side of caution. of course, stores can set limits below corp. guidelines, so, as always, ymmv.
Quite a reasonable approach. Safeway set up this promo to encourage people to buy GCs @Safeway (and they get a cut of the fees) not to enable criminals and MS.

Originally Posted by xraywinedrinker
$5.95 for $100. I haven't seen $200 MC but VGC are $6.95.
This is only worthy if you can get $200MC and have two coupons print.
Every time I see this promotion I shed a tear with the loss of gas rewards
Is this limited to MCs which come with a fee? Personally I would rather buy no-fee cards from Amazon, Starbucks, etc. where I will be spending anyway.

And seriously, how many gas rewards are lost? $10 coupon used for $10 safeway spend = 1 cent per gallon. That's negligible, especially for families that spend 100s on food. Even if you churn $1k that's a single 10c per gallon reward, or about $1.50 on a 15gal purchase. I'll take the $10 any day.

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Meaning your Delta card is only giving you 1 SkyPeso to the dollar.

Plenty of cards that can give at least 2 points per dollar.

And there are cashback cards, like the American Express BlueCash that could give you 3% back instead.
Concur. If you are not spending to hit threshold bonus but just looking to maximize your ROI on groceries, there are much better options than Amex. Personally I like the 3% JCB card or 2% Fidelity cash back (BofA also has a card that offers 2% cash back on groceries). And of course generic Chase points though personally I prefer SPG.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:33 am