Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz
Is there a daily limit on VGC at Vons/Pavillion? I have read somewhere that if you buy over $1500 VGC, the register will tell "cash only." The register wont tell if you stay under $1500. Please let me know if I am correct. Thanks!
Vons and Pavilions are Safeway, not Kroger. I've done more than $1500 in a single transaction at Safeway, but I have no idea if there are any special policies for Vons or Pavilions (there aren't any of those around here).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: UA AA MR UR
SAVE $15 INSTANTLY
American Express Gift Cards
With purchase of $150 or more in American Express Gift Cards. Limit 1. Offer not available in HI.

One-time Store Coupon Expires: 9/8/2015
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by devnull
Vons and Pavilions are Safeway, not Kroger. I've done more than $1500 in a single transaction at Safeway, but I have no idea if there are any special policies for Vons or Pavilions (there aren't any of those around here).

Safeway requires a manager override if the value is above $500 right? Is that a concern at all? How much have you purchased in one transaction there?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes I used this recent offer 2x on $500 AmEx yesterday. By using 2 different Safeway cards at different Safeways. You do have to load the special offer though.

Will pick up one more on my 3rd Safeway card today. Guess I need to get a couple more.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly
Safeway requires a manager override if the value is above $500 right? Is that a concern at all? How much have you purchased in one transaction there?
We should probably be discussing Safeway in another thread (not the Kroger thread), but here goes...

Yes, at Safeway, an override is required for over $500. There's usually multiple managers with the override card, not just the top store manager. They'll usually check ID and the card. They'll usually decline AGCs (not that there's much of a reason to buy those anymore) with the "you can't buy a gift card with a gift card" BS line. However, if they let you use an AGC, the POS allows it just fine. I found there was one employee at my local Safeway who never checked anything, so I was able to buy like $2k using AGCs. More recently, I tried to buy a $500 VGC (initially two, but we tried with one as well) at this same Safeway using a CC (a real one, not AGC), and the lower-level manager was surprised her override card wasn't allowing the transaction. The store manager (the head one) came and refused the transaction citing fraud concerns.

I know when an override is required, the cashier's screen will indicate "Risk Level X" with X being a number. In my experience the number is always 1, but the wording suggests these "risk levels" are programmable at the store level. My experience suggests the same; a few minutes after the failed transaction mentioned above, I went to another Safeway and bought $1000 worth with no problem.

"You can't buy a gift card with a gift card" is complete BS at Safeway. Initially I assumed you couldn't buy a VGC with a Safeway GC, and the employees just didn't know the difference between Safeway and Amex GCs and enforced this bogus "policy." However, a few days ago I was able to buy a $500 VGC using a Safeway GC as my only payment method. The Safeway GC terms don't restrict the purchase of any type of GCs and the POS allowed it just fine. (The Kroger GC terms restrict the purchase of Kroger GCs, but Safeway's don't restrict the purchase of any GC, even another Safeway GC. I didn't try that as there's no point, so I don't know if the POS allows it, just that the terms do.)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dimmysummer
SAVE $15 INSTANTLY
American Express Gift Cards
With purchase of $150 or more in American Express Gift Cards. Limit 1. Offer not available in HI.

One-time Store Coupon Expires: 9/8/2015
I have been out of the MS game for over a year now. Need to get back in for the SPG and PRG cards.

1) Can we use AGC to load into Bluebird ? Either machine or cashier ?

2) If not, how do you guys liquidate AGC's and what alternatives currently work for Bluebird ?

Thanks in advance !
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lanb
I have been out of the MS game for over a year now. Need to get back in for the SPG and PRG cards.

1) Can we use AGC to load into Bluebird ? Either machine or cashier ?

2) If not, how do you guys liquidate AGC's and what alternatives currently work for Bluebird ?

Thanks in advance !
I just use them to offset normal no bonused spend. this deal they are just 150 each.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
I just use them to offset normal no bonused spend. this deal they are just 150 each.
No, the deal is minimum $150. I of course get a variable and load $500. IMO there is no reason to get the minimum unless you just don't have the ability to float the cash.

I wait until the AGC has activated (30+ minutes lately it seems), then stop by my 3-letter drugstore.
Mine fortunately has no problem doing split tender. So I load 2x$500 VGC by tendering 2x$500 AGC, plus
a 3rd card to handle the fees. My 3rd cards are things like Staples Rewards $20 debits, or other gift
cards with low balances, or just use a credit card.

The freshly minted VGC become food for RB/BB mill. I'm on a push to hit some minimums
and every little bit helps.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Aug 27, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:11 pm

Do you mean Vanilla GC by VGC ? What other cards work with BB ?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by lanb
Do you mean Vanilla GC by VGC ? What other cards work with BB ?
I mean Visa Gift Card, generic. The "One Vanilla" brand does not work with BB at WM (Kate). THere are other threads about the state of BB.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:32 pm

are the new VGC's @ safeway still giving fuel points?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamesflyertalk
are the new VGC's @ safeway still giving fuel points?
Go buy one and let us know, I've been waiting 'til the 1st so I get an extra months worth of time 'til they expire.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 pm

Buy $200 of Mastercard GC and get $15 off next trip(of$25) 9/2-9/15. Variables seem excluded(specifically says $25/50/100/45), they put up the sign a day early so I couldn't test it. Not worth it for me, but maybe someone else may find it useful.

In addition VGC still giving gas points, I bought the carbon fiber looking one and oddly enough it seems to be treated differently than the flowers/balls, gave the 2X Giftcard gas rewards whereas the others have only given 1X as if they were coded as GM.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by slack455
Buy $200 of Mastercard GC and get $15 off next trip(of$25) 9/2-9/15. Variables seem excluded(specifically says $25/50/100/45), they put up the sign a day early so I couldn't test it. Not worth it for me, but maybe someone else may find it useful.

In addition VGC still giving gas points, I bought the carbon fiber looking one and oddly enough it seems to be treated differently than the flowers/balls, gave the 2X Giftcard gas rewards whereas the others have only given 1X as if they were coded as GM.
I've bought one $500 VGC with the pink flowers design today and received 1000 points which is 2X gas rewards.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by slack455
I bought carbon fiber one this morning, it did not give 2x...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.