2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FadedCone
Thank you.

If we check luggage in Brisbane/Quantas, does it have to be retrieved at LAX and re-checked for the domestic portion of flight, or will it automatically be put straight through to Miami?

Regarding Express Connections service: Is this something that has to be applied for, or does it automatically go into effect based on passenger circumstances?
Hello @FadedCone,

My apologies for having your post stuck in the moderation queue while I was traveling; I don't recall receiving the email alert.

Your bags should be tagged in Brisbane to your final destination. You will have to retrieve them at LAX for customs processing. At the exit from the customs hall, follow the "Transfers" sign to the right and dropp your already tagged bags at the American Airlines transfer desk.

Express Connections cards are automatically provided to oneworld passengers whose connections may be short of the minimum connect time due to a delayed arrival or other circumstances.

Take a look at this thread:
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:11 pm

domestic Delta flight to LAX for intl flight - how many hours to connect...

I am not a frequent flyer. I am traveling in the US to LAX, then have few hours to get on a JAL flight to Japan. Could anyone tell me the procedure and how many hours it should take? I would have to get my luggage, walk (shuttle?) to the JAL check-in, then through int'l security...?? Would two hours be enough time? Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:38 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm move this to our appropriate destination forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fisemicr
I am not a frequent flyer. I am traveling in the US to LAX, then have few hours to get on a JAL flight to Japan. Could anyone tell me the procedure and how many hours it should take? I would have to get my luggage, walk (shuttle?) to the JAL check-in, then through int'l security...?? Would two hours be enough time? Thanks!
There is no such thing as int'l security in the US. We don't have exit immigration control.

You haven't given enough information for us to help you. What airline are you using to get to LAX? Is it on the same itinerary as your JAL flight?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:29 pm

Hi Chewy5,

I have a similar circumstance as you and I am really appreciated if you could provide the answers to your questions.

- Will I make it?
- Would the quickest way to get from TBIT to T7 be fast walking?
- Is it right that I don't have the option to go through the tunnel anyway as my bags won't be checked through?
- Will I be only able to get my UA boarding pass at T7 when I check in my bags?

Thank you!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by solutionlx
Hi Chewy5,

I have a similar circumstance as you and I am really appreciated if you could provide the answers to your questions.

- Will I make it?
- Is it right that I don't have the option to go through the tunnel anyway as my bags won't be checked through?

Thank you!
Hi @solutionlx, welcome to flyerTalk.

Because you did not quote @Chewy5's post or tagged him, I had to search in order to find what you were referring to.

That post is over a year old and Chewy5 has not been on FlyerTalk since Nov 17, 17.
Originally Posted by Chewy5
Hi - I'm new to this forum so I hope I didn't press a wrong button and replied someone instead.

I have a trip that's making me nervous. I am a Canadian Citizen. My upcoming trip will happen in June 7 and I will arrive from HKG to LAX at 7:40am on Cathay business class. My connecting will be with UA to YVR at 10:07; on separate tickets. I will have 1 check in bag. I don't have statuses with airlines.

I know I'll have to go through Immigration, bag retrieval and security. As I am Canadian, I should be able to get through APC. As I took biz class, I am hopeful my bag will come out quick. Then I know I'll have to get myself to T7 from TBIT. My questions are:

- Will I make it?

I really appreciate your wise advice. If there's chance I won't make it, would you suggest I pre-purchase a backup ticket from LAX to YVR at a later time instead of purchasing one in the event I don't make the transit? My UA 10:07 flight ticket is non-refundable.

Thank you so much
@bzcat was right on point with his response.
Originally Posted by bzcat
Will you make it? Maybe... 2 hours is pretty tight connection. You should have at least 2:30 to be safe. Your luggage should come out fast because you are flying business class but there is no guarantee. If there is someone from CX handing out transit pass as you exit the plane, take it so you can use the transit lane for immigration (pretty sure Canadians have to use the visitors' line otherwise).

Quickest way is walk. It should take you about 15 minutes. The shuttle will take just a long but you may have to wait a bit for it to show up. Also traffic will be bad at LAX around 8:30 to 9 AM. Walking eliminates the uncertainty about waiting for the bus and getting stuck in traffic around T5/T6 area.

Since you are on two separate ticket and won't have bags check thru, you need to take it with you. This does in fact preclude you from using the TBIT TSA station and walking to T7 behind security. But for what it is worth, it is probably faster to walk outside anyway because you are going in a straight line, not a zig zag through T4, T5, and T6 tunnels.

You can check in online with UA so boarding pass is not an issue. But you still have to get your passport scanned at the kiosk and check your luggage when you get to T7. In fact, I highly recommend you check in online with UA from your phone as soon as you land while your CX flight is still making its way to the gate. There is no phone reception in TBIT immigration or custom. Checking in with UA at least let them know you intend to board your flight so they can decide to wait for you. If you don't check in, they have no reason to hold your seat pass a certain point of the boarding process.
Best of luck with your connection.

TWA884
Los Angeles Moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 5, 2018 at 5:08 pm Reason: Add post quotes
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've also found that walking on the arrivals level between terminals is easier than upstairs (departures), especially with a luggage cart.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing CLEAR Expedited Airport Security at LAX, not involving transfers or connections, were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:24 am

My wife arrives Asiana flight 204 F/C from ICN at 2:35 pm on one ticket and then has a Delta flight 3 hours 15 minutes later on a separate ticket. If Asiana chooses not to interline her checked bags through to her final destination on Delta, my question is, is there a way for her to recheck her bags after customs at the interline desk in TBIT, or will she have to take her checked bags all the way over to the Delta counter to check them in again there?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If there is a DL rep there at recheck desk, your wife can probably check the luggage and maybe even get boarding pass. Otherwise she can just take the luggage with her to T3, which is only 2 minute walk curb side so not that big of a deal.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Connecting Through LAX + United Club Visit (??): HELP

Hi ft community,

I will be connecting through LAX on Delta, coming in from DEN, and continuing on to JFK (transcon). I have a couple United Club passes and I would like to visit their new club in T7. What are my options for getting to/from T2/3 to T7? How long should I allow to walk/ride each way? I have a 5 hour layover. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Hi ft community,

I will be connecting through LAX on Delta, coming in from DEN, and continuing on to JFK (transcon). I have a couple United Club passes and I would like to visit their new club in T7. What are my options for getting to/from T2/3 to T7? How long should I allow to walk/ride each way? I have a 5 hour layover. Thanks!
T2 & T3 are not connected behind security to T7, however, you can take the shuttle from either terminal to TBIT and walk from there to T7 without exiting the secure area; a link to the map is in the wikipost. In the alternative, you can exit the secure area and walk across the parking lots/structures to the south side of the airport and reclear security. With a same day boarding pass for any flight departing LAX, you can enter any terminal, whether your flight departs from there or not.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JackFranchino
Hi ft community,

You might want to double-check the conditions on your free passes. My recollection was that United had revised their policy to sometimes (or all times) only allow access to the club on free passes when accompanied by a same-day United boarding pass.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
Hey guys, quick question about transfers. I arrive at LAX in terminal I on Asiana (flying F). I have an AC connecting flight in J 2.5 hours later in terminal 6. Will I make it?

I am not used to connecting in the US, and hear it's an incredibly unorganized mess, I don't think it's possible to find a different routing at this time.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG
HKK-LAX-TUS

Arriving back to LAX on November 17, 2018 from HKK on Cathay Pacific. Partner airline is AA and our connection was 2 hrs before our flight to Tucson. The flight time changed and it is now 1:55. Cathay now says it's "not a legal connection" and I should book the flight that is four hours later. Would love to catch the original flight and am somewhat amused that 5 minutes difference is cause for alarm. Should I just wing it with 5 minutes less time? Searching through previous posts seems like 3 hrs is more doable at LAX. Recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.