2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
Hey guys, quick question about transfers. I arrive at LAX in terminal I on Asiana (flying F). I have an AC connecting flight in J 2.5 hours later in terminal 6. Will I make it?

I am not used to connecting in the US, and hear it's an incredibly unorganized mess, I don't think it's possible to find a different routing at this time.
Originally Posted by peters4n6
Arriving back to LAX on November 17, 2018 from HKK on Cathay Pacific. Partner airline is AA and our connection was 2 hrs before our flight to Tucson. The flight time changed and it is now 1:55. Cathay now says it's "not a legal connection" and I should book the flight that is four hours later. Would love to catch the original flight and am somewhat amused that 5 minutes difference is cause for alarm. Should I just wing it with 5 minutes less time? Searching through previous posts seems like 3 hrs is more doable at LAX. Recommendations?
In order to offer informed advice, it would help to know whether you are traveling on US or foreign passports, the type of visa, if applicable, whether you have Global Entry or NEXUS and if you have checked luggage.

On more than one occasion, I have made it from plane to curb after arriving at TBIT on an international flight from an non pre-clearance airport in ten to twelve minutes, but then I have Global Entry and a US passport and I travel with only carry on luggage.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by TWA884
In order to offer informed advice, it would help to know whether you are traveling on US or foreign passports, the type of visa, if applicable, whether you have Global Entry or NEXUS and if you have checked luggage.

On more than one occasion, I have made it from plane to curb after arriving at TBIT on an international flight from an non pre-clearance airport in ten to twelve minutes, but then I have Global Entry and a US passport and I travel with only carry on luggage.
US passport. No Global Entry or Nexus
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

US passport. No Global Entry or Nexus
Doable without checked luggage. Cutting it close with.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond

Haha so almost no chance for me then. Checked luggage, Canadian passport, Nexus.

But my companion won't have Nexus.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer
Haha so almost no chance for me then. Checked luggage, Canadian passport, Nexus.

But my companion won't have Nexus.
Your are right on the fence, Nexus helps but your companion doesn't so one of you may not make it My general rule of thumb for int'l arrival transit at LAX is this: 2 hours minimum with checked luggage and departing from T3/4/5; 2.5 hours with checked luggage and departing from T2/6/7; 3 hours if you are self-connecting with Southwest at T1 or another LCC. US citizen with GE and only carry on can clear immigration and custom in as little as 10-15 minutes (I've done it several times).

Things that may work in your favor:
1. You are flying F so you get off the plane first.
2. If both ICN-LAX and LAX-Canada segments are on the same ticket, AC may put you on a later flight.
3. The trans pacific flight probably has a lot of slack built in. It may arrive early.
4. If your luggage is thru-tagged to Canada, you can do online check in with AC as soon as you land at LAX that way AC knows you intend to make the flight (don't wait until you are in the terminal, there is no mobile phone reception at immigration area)

The actual transfer is pretty straightforward. Once you exit custom, you can recheck your luggage (if it is tagged to your final destination). After that, you exit the secured area and out to the curb. Find the stairs that goes up to departure level. Follow the sidewalk going right towards T6. It will be about 15 minutes walk at a leisurely pace.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Arriving back to LAX on November 17, 2018 from HKK on Cathay Pacific. Partner airline is AA and our connection was 2 hrs before our flight to Tucson. The flight time changed and it is now 1:55. Cathay now says it's "not a legal connection" and I should book the flight that is four hours later. Would love to catch the original flight and am somewhat amused that 5 minutes difference is cause for alarm. Should I just wing it with 5 minutes less time? Searching through previous posts seems like 3 hrs is more doable at LAX. Recommendations?
The other issue is that your AA flight will likely leave from the AA satellite terminal since it is very likely an AA Eagle flight and that requires a bus ride from Terminal 4. This one bus ride can add anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to your connection.

David
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by DELee
The other issue is that your AA flight will likely leave from the AA satellite terminal since it is very likely an AA Eagle flight and that requires a bus ride from Terminal 4. This one bus ride can add anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to your connection.
Based upon what the @peters4n6 posted, it looks as if the OP will be arriving on CX 882 at 1:25 pm. Both the 3:20 pm and the 8:02 pm AA departures from LAX to TUS are American Eagle flights departing from the remote terminal. Due to how long it takes luggage to arrive on the carousels at TBIT, that connection is not doable with checked bags. With only carry on luggage and using the Mobile Passport Control App, it can be done.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by DELee

David
AA says that there is no gate assinment yet for my flight, but the same flight today and tomorrow leave at gate 52A which appears to be terminal 5. So in summary, I've got luggage, I'm a US citizen with a US passport, and will likely not be declaring anything. I have 1:55 from arrival of my int'l flight from HKK-LAX and then need to clear customs and get to terminal 5. Since all my legs were booked with Cathay Pacific, I assume I will not need to recheck my bags beyond the secure area. The alternative is to wait 5:55 and have plenty of time.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 pm

Gate 52 is the bus gate at T5. Your flight to TUS is operated by American Eagle as already noted. So you will need to take a 15~20 min bus ride from either T4 or T5.

You don't actually need to go to T5. The bus gate at T4 is much closer to TBIT. But I still wouldn't bank on making this connection with checked luggage in less than 2 hours. US citizens without GE can get thru immigration in 20 or 30 minutes if lines at the kiosk are not long but from there on, it is a roll of dice. Checked luggage can take as long as 90 minutes to appear after arrival at TBIT. But let say you are lucky and you get out of custom in 1 hour and your luggage are already tagged to TUC. You can re-check at TBIT before leaving the secured area but you are bumping up against checked luggage cutoff time already. The luggage will take at least 30 minutes to reach your plane... so I'm not sure they will even take it. Assuming they take your luggage, you will now need to clear TSA at either TBIT arrival level or at T4 next door. If you don't have precheck, this will likely take at least 20 minutes. At this point, you are already at last boarding call and you haven't even got on the bus to the remote terminal yet.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:52 am

Hi all,

In November, I'll be arriving at LAX 640am on a Hawaiian Islands redeye from HNL in T5. I need to book a separate flight that day from LAX to SJC, most likely on Delta out of T2.

I've gone the other way before from T2 to T5. And those were Delta codeshare flights so there was no need to go to baggage claim, or check in again. I had a 3hr layover once and remember being surprised by how long it took me to get to the gate.

This would be an entirely separate flight. I am booking my flight with an expectation that I'll be checking a bag in Hawaii. So at LAX I will need to go to baggage claim, travel to new gate, check in, back through security etc.

So my flight on HA gets into T5 6:40 am if its on time. The Delta flight I'm looking at leaves from T2 at 9:10 a.m.
Is that too tight?

Next Delta to SJC is 12:35 p.m. (prefer Delta because we get free checked bags.) Assuming all Delta is T2 or 3
But other options are:
Alaska (T6) or Southwest (T1 I think), both at 10:35 a.m.
(Expedia also lists a Delta flight at 11:30 a.m. but it's not listed on Delta's actual website.)
Or later in the afternoon.

Recommendations and advice are welcome!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ShinyO
Hi all,

In November, I'll be arriving at LAX 640am on a Hawaiian Islands redeye from HNL in T5. I need to book a separate flight that day from LAX to SJC, most likely on Delta out of T2.

I've gone the other way before from T2 to T5. And those were Delta codeshare flights so there was no need to go to baggage claim, or check in again. I had a 3hr layover once and remember being surprised by how long it took me to get to the gate.

This would be an entirely separate flight. I am booking my flight with an expectation that I'll be checking a bag in Hawaii. So at LAX I will need to go to baggage claim, travel to new gate, check in, back through security etc.

So my flight on HA gets into T5 6:40 am if its on time. The Delta flight I'm looking at leaves from T2 at 9:10 a.m.
Is that too tight?

Next Delta to SJC is 12:35 p.m. (prefer Delta because we get free checked bags.) Assuming all Delta is T2 or 3
But other options are:
Alaska (T6) or Southwest (T1 I think), both at 10:35 a.m.
(Expedia also lists a Delta flight at 11:30 a.m. but it's not listed on Delta's actual website.)
Or later in the afternoon.

Recommendations and advice are welcome!
I have yet to see checked bags on the carousels at at LAX sooner than half an hour after blocking in; some members have reported waiting only 20 minutes.

If your bags are too big or cumbersome to walk with around the horseshoe past TBIT to T3 - T2 is for departures to international destinations and to ATL, DTW, Hawaii, DCA and JFK - or across the parking lots/structures, add probably another half an hour or longer to wait for and ride the Airlines Connections shuttle.

Reports in the Delta forum are that there are often long lines to check bags - you can use the skycaps to save time - and clear security at T3. It's probably doable, but I would not risk making that connection in 2:30 hours if I were flying on separate tickets.

BTW, everyone gets two free checked bags on Southwest.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reason: Syntax
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:14 am

Ok thanks! That helps confirm some of my concerns. Southwest was my other option because of the bags.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:31 am

Transit in LAX (united -united) do i need to collect bags and re-check in?

Hi

Im flying from NRT to SFO with a 1hr 50mins connection in LAX. Question: will my bag be tagged directly to SFO, or do I need to collect my bags in LAX and check in the bags again?

Im on United flight. It is booked under 1 itinerary

Please kindly advise
thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by YayaG
Hi

Im flying from NRT to SFO with a 1hr 50mins connection in LAX. Question: will my bag be tagged directly to SFO, or do I need to collect my bags in LAX and check in the bags again?

Im on United flight. It is booked under 1 itinerary

Please kindly advise
thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk @YayaG!

Since you are flying on one ticket, your bags should be tagged all the way through to SFO; however, you will have to pick them up at LAX to go though US customs. As you exit the Federal Inspection Services Facility, you'll drop them off at the United recheck desk before proceeding to the TSA security checkpoint and your gate.

United's minimum connect time from international to domestic United flights at LAX is 70 minutes, so you should be OK. In the event that you miss your connection due to unforeseen circumstances, you should be protected on a later flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:03 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk @YayaG!

Since you are flying on one ticket, your bags should be tagged all the way through to SFO; however, you will have to pick them up at LAX to go though US customs. As you exit the Federal Inspection Services Facility, you'll drop them off at the United recheck desk before proceeding to the TSA security checkpoint and your gate.

United's minimum connect time from international to domestic United flights at LAX is 70 minutes, so you should be OK. In the event that you miss your connection due to unforeseen circumstances, you should be protected on a later flight.
UA33 NRT-LAX typically arrives at T7 and uses the T6 FIS facility. I haven't use the T6 FIS in a long time so I don't remember if there is a luggage re-check station but it is a very short walk upstairs to departure level to check in again with UA. 1:50 is plenty of time for this transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.