FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/2002182-2018-2022-lax-connecting-connection-connections-thread.html)

msf868 Jan 8, 2018 5:39 am

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

I will be travelling from NRT to LAX on 4/7/18 on NH176 arriving at 0950hrs and connecting to MIA on AA2586 at 1210hrs.

some details:
International passport holder (tourist visa)
No checked in luggage
AA Platinum status

Will I have enough time for my connection?

bzcat Jan 9, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by msf868 (Post 29264827)
I will be travelling from NRT to LAX on 4/7/18 on NH176 arriving at 0950hrs and connecting to MIA on AA2586 at 1210hrs.

some details:
International passport holder (tourist visa)
No checked in luggage
AA Platinum status

Will I have enough time for my connection?

For US passport holders without checked luggage, 2 hours is generally a safe connection from TBIT Int'l arrival to T4 domestic departure. For foreign passport holders, 2 hours is really on the fence especially if you are on two separate tickets. You have to get in the long line to get finger printed which can take 1 hour or longer. But no checked luggage is a big plus... once you clear immigration, you can skip the luggage line and go straight thru custom. You can clear security in TBIT arrival level (see details on page 1 of this thread) or take a short walk to T4 and use the AA elite line, which may be shorter... or much longer. Hard to predict.

But regardless, check in with AA in advance so they know you plan on making to flight.

msf868 Jan 9, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 29270814)
For US passport holders without checked luggage, 2 hours is generally a safe connection from TBIT Int'l arrival to T4 domestic departure. For foreign passport holders, 2 hours is really on the fence especially if you are on two separate tickets. You have to get in the long line to get finger printed which can take 1 hour or longer. But no checked luggage is a big plus... once you clear immigration, you can skip the luggage line and go straight thru custom. You can clear security in TBIT arrival level (see details on page 1 of this thread) or take a short walk to T4 and use the AA elite line, which may be shorter... or much longer. Hard to predict.

But regardless, check in with AA in advance so they know you plan on making to flight.

Doesn’t LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

cuzzybro Jan 15, 2018 12:30 am

Delta just killed my minimum connect time, I'm on one single DL 006 ticket, AKL-SYD-LAX-OAK, the connection time in LAX is now 1 hr 55 minutes, and it was 2 hour 15 previously.

I'm traveling in Business (intl) and First Class (US Domestic), do I have any recourse to changing flights with DL for the final leg since 2 hr is the specified minconnect at lax?

Reading the same day change policy it looks like we can change to any flight with First Class seats, but is one able to change the destination?

TWA884 Jan 15, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by cuzzybro (Post 29293946)
I'm traveling in Business (intl) and First Class (US Domestic), do I have any recourse to changing flights with DL for the final leg since 2 hr is the specified minconnect at lax?

Citizenship/passport? Global Entry? Checked bags?

A US passport holder with Global Entry and without checked bags will make this connection with time to spare.

cuzzybro Jan 15, 2018 9:53 am

Gotcha.

Non US citizenship, not GE eligible, and traveling with 2 checked bags. Guess I’m toast.

bzcat Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am

2 hours is probably the bare minimum required for this connection. But the good news is you are on a single ticket so Delta will be responsible for getting you to OAK, one way or another.

TWA884 Jan 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Moderator's Note

Folks,

I've just deleted a bunch of posts bickering over "luggage line" at TBIT. Please do not argue about language or semantics. FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community; some of our members use different terminology than others do.

Getting to the subject at hand, arriving international passengers without checked bags do not have to wait at the luggage carousels for their bags to show up. At TBIT that can save up to an hour's wait.

TWA884
Los Angeles moderator

mate Jan 23, 2018 9:58 pm

No transfer desk at LAX?

My wife is flying PDX-LAX-HKG-BKK tonight, first leg domestic on AS and then CX for last two legs. J class award ticket from Alaska Mileage Plan, luggage checked through to BKK. This is *not* time sensitive.

At checkin at PDX they told her to get the LAX-HKG-BKK boarding passes at LAX. Upon arrival at LAX, she took the air side secure link from T6 to TBIT but then found there was no transfer desk and no way of getting a boarding pass. She asked at the Qantas lounge, and they have a printer for QF passes only. A TSA agent told her that she should go to the gate 45 minutes before boarding to get her pass. No CX employees nor agents anywhere to be seen.

This all sounded a bit fishy, so she called. I called Alaska, who were unable to help, and Cathay had a long wait time. I was amazed after a LOT of Googling to find only one official page guiding folks through this maze (Air NZ) and that seemed a little out of date (it didn't mention the airside connection to TBIT). To be safe, I checked her into CX using my mobile app and texted her the boarding passes. There was no indication she was checked in, and it seemed very possible that she might have been bumped as a no-show.

My question: what's the official method for domestic to international transfer at LAX if you need any assistance, for example, to collect a boarding pass? I'm really surprised the $150M they spent didn't include a desk to deal with this kind of thing (google pretty much any international airport code plus "international transfer" to see what I mean). Is she really expected to go in and out of security and use the land side check in desks?

We will be doing this trip as a family in the next year, so I really would like to know the official guide to what we're meant to do and if there's anything on the web describing this.

Thanks in advance.

bzcat Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Transfer desk is not a thing in the US... we don't have exit immigration control so there is no sterile zone on departure.

Since your post 2 days old, I assume your wife got on the the CX flight without problem. But if someone is searching this thread later for the same information, there are several ways you can obtain boarding pass at TBIT air side:

The first way is the most obvious... you can check in online via your phone.
The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located throughout TBIT air side and at least 1 in the T4-TBIT connector.
The third way is to show up at the gate and get paper boarding pass.

Colin Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

#3 would be subject to landside checkin cutoff time, so better the first two

nomadic.relief Jan 31, 2018 1:09 am

I am wondering if I am being totally delusional to consider a perfect world 1:40 connection (arr 22:50, dep 00:30) from T2 to TBIT?

I would go carry on only and be departing in J, checked in online (presumably with preprinted from home boarding pass) - the biggest catch is seperate tickets.

*Alternative involves TPAC from YVR likely in Y :eek:

Craig6z Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am

I wouldn't call you delusional, but instead - optimistic. You are hitting Bradley during prime time, and the terminal will be quite busy. Even with business class access, I've been finding it takes at least 20 minutes to go through security there in the last two years, at busy periods.

It's doable, but if you have something like a 20 minute delay getting off your Terminal 2 flight, your margin of error is going to be expended. With a 20 minute delay, you probably won't get to the back of the Bradley security line for at least another 12-15 minutes. Assuming the security line is 20 minutes, depending on the location of your gate in Bradley, you might need another 8-10 minutes to arrive at your plane. You might also investigate whether the airline you are using at Bradley has an early cut-off time, where you have to be on board.

This is not something I personally would attempt, but it's certainly not a delusional scenario.

TWA884 Jan 31, 2018 9:14 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29360949)
I am wondering if I am being totally delusional to consider a perfect world 1:40 connection (arr 22:50, dep 00:30) from T2 to TBIT?

Are you sure it is T2? If you're flying to LAX on Air Canada, they've relocated to T6, which is connected to TBIT behind security (the wiki has a link to a map).

nomadic.relief Jan 31, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks Craig6z, that is about what I suspected, but it's been a while since I've had a time crunch at LAX that required a land-side excursion. Mainly I wasn't sure when "busy" hours were and TSA app shows "not busy" then ... I didn't quite trust that. Usually I'd just hike over to another TSA preCheck terminal then do the corridor to TBIT, but clearly that's not a good choice in this case!

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 29362182)
Are you sure it is T2? If you're flying to LAX on Air Canada, they've relocated to T6, which is connected to TBIT behind security (the wiki has a link to a map).

Unfortunately to pull this off I'd have to fly WestJet, which seems to now live in T2. If it were T6 I'd be way less concerned! :D