2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
On your outbound, the physical time required to connect should be sufficient. You can take the tunnel from T5 to T4 and then go upstairs to walk to TBIT - no need to go landside. Your variable is going to be the on-time performance of your incoming flight and, if using JL, whether you can check-in online in advance. As to preference, I really like the business class Sky Suite seats on JL - very private.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

planning to take MDW-LAX southwest flight arriving T1 at 9:50 and transfer to ANA flight departing B terminal at 11:45. with checked luggage for both flight. I'm wondering if time is enough for transfer or I need to hurry up?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Another Question around LAX connection - We are reaching TBIT (VA 23) around 9 AM and have a separate ticket to then take a delta flight (DL 1240) at 10:50 AM. I am travelling with carry-on only. Any other things I can do to speed up to clear immigration/customs and go to Terminal 2 within that window?
On AU passport - no precheck.

Last edited by rattlerr; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:33 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grym02
Question on LAX connection. The int'l and domestic flights would be on 2 separate tickets, although both on AA/JL

Flying AUS>LAX on AA, usually arrives at Terminal 5. Scheduled arrival is 10:23. I then have an outbound flight on JL/AA at either 11:50 or 12pm from TBIT. No luggage, and I have pre-check. Enough time? And will I have to clear security again or can I just walk from Terminal 5 to TBIT. Earlier flight arrives at 7:25AM, which seems like a lot.. And while on the topic, anyone have a preference for AA 169 on 787 or JL 61 on 777 in business class?

On the way back, would be arriving on JAL 62 at 10AM, clear customs, then connect to AA at 12:50. Just shy of 3 hours to clear int'l-> domestic (no global entry). Once again, separate tickets but no luggage. Thoughts?
You are fine both ways with no luggage. Outbound you can walk air side from T5 to T4 underground and T4 to TBIT above ground.

JL777 business class is nicer than AA787 but different enough for me to forgo earning EQD and/or pay more.

Originally Posted by rattlerr
Another Question around LAX connection - We are reaching TBIT (VA 23) around 9 AM and have a separate ticket to then take a delta flight (DL 1240) at 10:50 AM. I am travelling with carry-on only. Any other things I can do to speed up to clear immigration/customs and go to Terminal 2 within that window?
On AU passport - no precheck.
2 hours without luggage is possible... but you are cutting it close if you have no precheck.

The big variable at TBIT is luggage wait time. So if you have no checked luggage, you will probably be done with immigration in about 30 or 40 minutes. Once you get to landside, turn left and walk to T2. Do not take the terminal transfer shuttle bus. Walking to T2 will take about 20 minutes tops at a leisurely pace. Bus will take at least 30 minutes at 10 AM. Crowds at T2 TSA should be thinning out by 10 AM but will still be long... maybe 20 minutes. You should get to the gate just before final boarding call.

Check your DL flight status immediately after landing to confirm your departure from T2... If it moved to T3 or TBIT, your walk is considerably shorter. Also helps to check in online while you are still taxi to the gate. Once you get to TBIT immigration, there is no mobile phone reception.

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 6, 2019 at 5:44 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
First time flying into T7 at LAX (usually fly AA extensively so T4) but I'm doing
On UA 275 EWR - LAX (arriving at 9PM) and flying OZ 203 LAX - ICN (departing at 11pm) this Tuesday. With rain/snow forecast for NYC that day do you think at best (2 hr transit) time is doable? I'm not 100% sure if T7 to TBIT is do-able? Is there a buggy service between the terminals and if so how much is it and is it bookable?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
You are fine both ways with no luggage. Outbound you can walk air side from T5 to T4 underground and T4 to TBIT above ground.

JL777 business class is nicer than AA787 but different enough for me to forgo earning EQD and/or pay more.

2 hours without luggage is possible... but you are cutting it close if you have no precheck.

The big variable at TBIT is luggage wait time. So if you have no checked luggage, you will probably be done with immigration in about 30 or 40 minutes. Once you get to landside, turn left and walk to T2. Do not take the terminal transfer shuttle bus. Walking to T2 will take about 20 minutes tops at a leisurely pace. Bus will take at least 30 minutes at 10 AM. Crowds at T2 TSA should be thinning out by 10 AM but will still be long... maybe 20 minutes. You should get to the gate just before final boarding call.

Check your DL flight status immediately after landing to confirm your departure from T2... If it moved to T3 or TBIT, your walk is considerably shorter. Also helps to check in online while you are still taxi to the gate. Once you get to TBIT immigration, there is no mobile phone reception.
Thanks. It looks like the flight has moved to T3 which should help. Also have done the check-in online. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
There is a landside free bus that runs T7 to TBIT. But you would then have to reclear security at TBIT.
Or you can stay airside and walk from T7 to TBIT. Tunnel T7-T6-T5-T4 then airside connector T4-TBIT.
Checking your bags through or carrying on? Single ticket?
If you arrive on time, you’ll make the walk, but if the flight from EWR is late could be tight.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

T7 to T6 is departure concourse level.
T6 to T5 to T4 are basement tunnel.
T4 to TBIT is departure concourse level again.

2 hours T7 to TBIT is doable now since you don't have to leave the secured area. It used be a very difficult connection to make unless you have 2.5 or 3 hours. Still a long walk but no TSA line or land side bus wait time/traffic congestion variable to take into consideration.

Unless you are going from TBIT or T4 to T1, the land side shuttle bus at LAX is pretty useless. Walking is always faster as long as you are in reasonable physical shape.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:32 pm

Hello everyone! I need some assistance as to which ticket to buy for a connection to a separate ticket:
I have booked flight: NRT-LAX NH06 17:05 STD and 11:00 STA on 6th, June. First class. I have one checked baggage.
I am Chinese and I have a B1/B2 visa, so I can not get Pre-TSA or Global Entry. It is my third time go to United States for sightseeing.
I need book a flight LAX-BZN on the same day. And I have to arrive BZN before 23:00 that day.
I have three choice now:
1, a UA5825 flight departing 13:20 and arriving 17:03.
2, a DL2204 flight departing 13:25 to SLC and then a DL3771 flight to BZN.
3, a AS492 flight departing 13:45 to PDX and then a AS2012 flight to BZN.
The questions are:
1, Which flight should I choose? UA5825 saves more time, and the other two flights has a very short connection time in SLC and PDX.
2, Can I check through my baggage from NRT to BZN if I bought the UA or the AS flight? They are on diffrent PNR.
3, I find there is a Star Alliance Connection Service in LAX which can improve the connection speed. Do I have any opportunity to trigger it in my condition?
Thank you very much!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Ideally, you need 2.5 to 3 hours at LAX for this connection because you are non-US person with checked luggage and a change of terminal to the far side of the airport.

Not familiar with UA's luggage policy but my guess is they won't check your luggage to BZN. You have to pick it up anyway at LAX to clear customs so that's not saving you any time.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:30 pm

Thank you, bzcat. It seems I should choose AS which departure at 13:45. But it has a conection at PDX in 45 minutes. expertflyer shows the minimum D/D time is 40 minutes. I think my baggage will not catch the next flight if the firt leg delays.
I will study more about it.
Thank you very much.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:47 pm

no way in hell i’d take an extra connection after a long haul to add 25 minute to an already 2+ hour connection.
given the fact pattern, take the nonstop.
there is an express connections queue at Bradley customs you should be able to sweet-talk your away into.
UA has a bag drop agent at Bradley customs exit to the right.
11am is not peak time for Bradley arrivals.
eastbound from asia often arrives early too.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:50 pm

Thank you Colin, your informations are very useful for me. Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

My wife and baby will be connecting on two different flights. Firstly arriving into TBIT at 1940 and connecting to AA internal flight dept at 2235. Will this (in theory) be enough time. Assuming she will need to clear immigration and customs collect bags, then try find a porter / skycap to help her and the baby transfer to T4 from TBIT and then re-check the bags.

On the return she'll be landing in to T4 with AA at 1225 and departing with Air NZ from TBIT at 1715. Again I'm assuming the bags won't be checked through so it'll be the opposite of the arrival, but without the stress of immigration and customs.

What do people think, is this do-able?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:36 pm

Doable with 3 hour layover inbound. Outbound is plenty of time. There is no porter or skycap at TBIT custom to help her but luggage cart is free. The walk from TBIT to T4 to check in is really short so she should be able to manage even with a baby. Once she exits immigration, go outside to the curb, find the elevator right around the corner and go up to the departure level. The first T4 entrance is about 25 meters to the right.

Double check the AA departure in case the gate moves to T5 or the remote terminal... what's the final destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.