2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waver99
Thanks. Yea realise MCT was for connecting on the same PNR. Anyways was just looking for a gauge.

Both airlines are in TBIT if that helps and I have about 4hrs55mins. I stupidly thought I wouldn't have to clear customs given that fact when booking the flights.
From the wiki.
"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.
International to international may be a little more. In USA international & domestic departures about the same. USA does not have exit controls/emigration.
Your ~5:00 hrs should be OK
If not travelling on a USA passport expect you will need a USA visa/ETSA
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Global Entry
TBIT to Terminal 4: Which security checkpoint is fastest with TSA Pre?

I am confused about different accounts I've read about minimizing transfer time international to domestic. In some accounts, I've read that it's always fastest to use the security checkpoint in the terminal connector between TBIT and Terminal 4. In other accounts, I've read that the terminal connector does not have a separate line for TSA Pre, or that the main security checkpoint for Terminal 4 is generally very quick and does offer TSA Pre.

I will be landing on an international AA flight at a little after 6:00 a.m. on a Wednesday, assuming it's on time. I have Global Entry but anticipate that I will be held up waiting to take a checked bag through customs. My goal then (especially if my incoming flight is late) will be to minimize time passing through security to make an 8:30 domestic connecting flight in Terminal 4. Should I head for the terminal connector or walk up the road to Terminal 4 and enter through its security checkpoint?

Thanks once again!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing the logistics of visiting Priority Pass restaurants and lounges at LAX were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:12 pm

This for a flight on Jan 3, 19. The connection is international to domestic.
ANA NH6 is scheduled for a 9:45 AM landing at TBIT.
This for a group of 3 with checked bags with no GE or TSA Pre, but we plan on using mobile passport with our US passports.
We need to self-connect to a Southwest flight at T1. (LAX-SJC)
There are 2 options currently, which are a 13:10 departure and a 14:30 departure. I currently have booked the 13:10 departure since that gives me 3:25 to make the connection, compared to the 3 hour time that seems to be the most quoted time required.
Should I swap to the 14:30 departure to give myself more breathing room or is 13:10 perfectly acceptable?

Last edited by ramenchef; Oct 10, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
3.5 hours should be enough for int'l to domestic self-connect with Southwest.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: None anymore
Hi guys, it seems like everybody is mostly talking about international > domestic connections. In my case I'm domestic > international on separate itineraries, I land T7 at 7AM and depart Tom Bradley at 10:30AM. I know I can walk the entire distance but I won't have my connecting ticket, does TBIT have transit desks or a way for me to print my ticket without having to exit and get my ticket at the TBIT ticket counter? I'm flying EVA for what it's worth.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:52 am

no check-in desks Bradley airside, but there are some electronic check-in kiosks (some on the T4 to Bradley connector) that work for *some* of the airlines operating at Bradley. i do not recall if EVA participates.

if you can't check-in online with electronic boarding pass or via these kiosks, you would need to check-in landside at Bradley
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hi guys, it seems like everybody is mostly talking about international > domestic connections. In my case I'm domestic > international on separate itineraries, I land T7 at 7AM and depart Tom Bradley at 10:30AM. I know I can walk the entire distance but I won't have my connecting ticket, does TBIT have transit desks or a way for me to print my ticket without having to exit and get my ticket at the TBIT ticket counter? I'm flying EVA for what it's worth.
If you have checked luggage, you should see if UA will check-thru... I'm not familiar with UA/Star Alliance policy on separate ticket itineraries. If UA can check thru luggage, you may also want to ask if they can issue boarding pass for the BR flight... Solves both of your problems. If UA won't check luggage thru, you'll have to exit the secured zone and pick up your luggage and take it to BR's TBIT landside counter to check in.

Assuming your luggage is checked thru or if you only have carry on, BR will staff the departure gate at TBIT up to 2 hours before departure so you should be fine.

3.5 hours is plenty for this connection. US doesn't have exit immigration control so there is usually no added time required for domestic to international connection. You just have to beat the airline imposed luggage cutoff time (if you have checked luggage).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
If you have checked luggage, you should see if UA will check-thru... I'm not familiar with UA/Star Alliance policy on separate ticket itineraries. If UA can check thru luggage, you may also want to ask if they can issue boarding pass for the BR flight... Solves both of your problems. If UA won't check luggage thru, you'll have to exit the secured zone and pick up your luggage and take it to BR's TBIT landside counter to check in.

Assuming your luggage is checked thru or if you only have carry on, BR will staff the departure gate at TBIT up to 2 hours before departure so you should be fine.

3.5 hours is plenty for this connection. US doesn't have exit immigration control so there is usually no added time required for domestic to international connection. You just have to beat the airline imposed luggage cutoff time (if you have checked luggage).
No checked luggage so that isn't an issue. I suppose I can wait for the gate agent to open so I can print there, only issue is I have to get my ticket first before visiting the star alliance lounge right? I'm flying J and am star gold.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
No checked luggage so that isn't an issue. I suppose I can wait for the gate agent to open so I can print there, only issue is I have to get my ticket first before visiting the star alliance lounge right? I'm flying J and am star gold.
I'm fairly certain that if you have a confirmed itinerary on BR J and Star Gold, the Star Lounge can issue a boarding pass and admit you. I think earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Star Lounge at TBIT issued a boarding pass for another Star airline (NH perhaps? I forgot),
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
I'm fairly certain that if you have a confirmed itinerary on BR J and Star Gold, the Star Lounge can issue a boarding pass and admit you. I think earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Star Lounge at TBIT issued a boarding pass for another Star airline (NH perhaps? I forgot),
Okay awesome, I will try it out and let everyone know!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:49 pm

Arriving with LY 05 from Israel on a Tuesday morning(6 AM). Not an American Citizen(student visa).
Alaska flight to Boston at 8:55 AM. Believe this one leaves from ter. 6

Did not buy yet- but that's the only flight which could help me not miss classes that day... but I feel like I am risking it. Am I?

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:34 am

You are flying TLV-LAX-BOS?

3 hours is plenty intl-to-domestic at LAX for foreign nationals.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Doron
Arriving with LY 05 from Israel on a Tuesday morning(6 AM). Not an American Citizen(student visa).
Alaska flight to Boston at 8:55 AM. Believe this one leaves from ter. 6

Did not buy yet- but that's the only flight which could help me not miss classes that day... but I feel like I am risking it. Am I?

Thanks a lot!
!דורון FlyerTalkברוך הבא ל

Checked or carry on luggage? One or separate tickets for LY and AS? What's the ontime record of LY05?

6:00 am is prime arrival time at TBIT from Asia and Australia. Lines can be long. Luggage can take up to an hour to appear on the luggage carousels.

9:00 am is prime departure time for domestic flights. There may be a wait to check bags. TSA security lines can be as long as an hour if you don't have PreCheck.

If you are flying on one ticket and miss the LAX-BOS flight, you will be protected on a later flight. If you are on separate tickets, you may have to buy a new ticket.

It all depends on your risk tolerance.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:15 pm

Thanks a lot. תודה רבה!!! (:

ontime record of LY05 is 96%(!) suprising for ELAL
It is two separate tickets... and that's what made me quite worried.
On the one hand, like the other person said: it is is plenty of time... so I am not so sure what to do.
Other flights will mean I am late to classes... but maybe I should not risk it.

Originally Posted by TWA884
!דורון FlyerTalkברוך הבא ל

Checked or carry on luggage? One or separate tickets for LY and AS? What's the ontime record of LY05?

6:00 am is prime arrival time at TBIT from Asia and Australia. Lines can be long. Luggage can take up to an hour to appear on the luggage carousels.

9:00 am is prime departure time for domestic flights. There may be a wait to check bags. TSA security lines can be as long as an hour if you don't have PreCheck.

If you are flying on one ticket and miss the LAX-BOS flight, you will be protected on a later flight. If you are on separate tickets, you may have to buy a new ticket.

It all depends on your risk tolerance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.