Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Lounges at LAX - Access, Showers, Questions, Which One? [Consolidated thread]

Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

See Current LAWA LAX Terminals Map and Airlines Listing Key here

Complete list of lounges with full reviews and details:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/airport/lax/

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if the answer is elsewhere onsite . . . a search gave me lots of info about related subjects, but not this. The LAX site maps aren't very specific.

I've got 5 hours in LAX between SYD and YVR, am *A gold [though travelling in the back] and would like to be away from the main crowds for a time. Will be in terminal 2 after the arrival 'routines'.

A map site would be fine, or directions.

Thanks for the help.

==========MODERATOR NOTE===========

Link to LAX PDF terminals maps terminal by terminal, with shops, services

Link to LAX Terminals and Airlines Map (PDF, viewable)

LIST OF CURRENT LOUNGES

● Terminal 1 (none)
● Terminal 2 (Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, Air New Zealand Lounge, Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse)
● Terminal 3 (Virgin America Loft)
● Terminal 4 (American Airlines Admiral's Club, American Airlines Flagship Lounge)
● Terminal 5 (Delta Air Lines Sky Club)
● Terminal 5 Remote Terminal (American Airlines Admirals Club)
● Terminal 6 (Alaska Airlines Board Room)
● Terminal 7 (United Airlines GlobalFirst Lounge, United Club)
● Tom Bradley International Terminal (oneworld Alliance Lounge, Star Alliance Lounge, Emirates Lounge, Etihad Airways Lounge, KAL Lounge, Qantas Lounge, LA International Lounge)
● Bob Hope Hollywood USO Lounge (Military and families)

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 25, 2017 at 9:18 am Reason: update
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by mackeff
Sorry if the answer is elsewhere onsite . . . a search gave me lots of info about related subjects, but not this. The LAX site maps aren't very specific.

I've got 5 hours in LAX between SYD and YVR, am *A gold [though travelling in the back] and would like to be away from the main crowds for a time. Will be in terminal 2 after the arrival 'routines'.

A map site would be fine, or directions.

Thanks for the help.
After security you will find yourself in the hall with restaurants, gift shops, etc. Look for an elevator on the right. The elevator will take you to the lounges p.s. press the "UP" button.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I presume the LAX-SYD travel is on Air NZ (Air Canada doesnt operate this route) via AKL or CHC. If you're travelling on United or Qantas then wont have any access to the lounges as need a boarding pass to get airside (where the lounges are) and UA & QF depart from different terminals so wont get access to T2 airside.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

obscure2k
Thanks; seems easy enough, even if I'm not too alert after ~14 hours in the air.

Kiwi Flyer
My SYD - LAX is UA 840, landing at T6; my LAX - YVR is UA 8456 [op by AC], departing T2 five hours later. I'm making the assumption I'll have a BP soon after making the trek from T6 into T2.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Righto - I was thinking of travel in the opposite direction

You might want to try to visit the Air NZ lounge (afaik AC Maple Leaf Lounge doesnt have showers or even bathroom) which is upstairs per obscure2k's directions (in fact right next to MLL). It has recently been refurbished and is very nice, including shower suites. Depending on time of day you may not be allowed in (gets very crowded when the bank of Air NZ flights leave).
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
obscure2k
Thanks; seems easy enough, even if I'm not too alert after ~14 hours in the air.

Kiwi Flyer
My SYD - LAX is UA 840, landing at T6; my LAX - YVR is UA 8456 [op by AC], departing T2 five hours later. I'm making the assumption I'll have a BP soon after making the trek from T6 into T2.
A UAer would know more than I, but I *think* T6 is connected airside to T7 (where the UA RCC is) If so, that's one choice.

At T2, there's AC Maple Leaf Lounge.

BTW, to get from T6 to T2, I would suggest going downstairs to the arrivals level, exit T6, and cut straight ahead through the parking garages to get to T2 (instead of walking "the horseshoe" or taking the LAX shuttle (which might take a while... unless you have check-in baggage with you).

Last edited by IceTrojan; Sep 28, 2005 at 11:59 pm
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
T6 & T7 'are' connected airside as IceTrojan surmised. Also agree w/ his shortcut. He's also spot on w/ the 'shortcut'.

BTW - when you do that you'll pass Encounter, which is a restaurant/bar in the space-agey looking building. It's not normally that crowded & is a great place to have drink/watch planes landing & taking off. Just enter & take the elevator (goofy-space music in elevator).

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
T6 & T7 'are' connected airside as IceTrojan surmised. Also agree w/ his shortcut. He's also spot on w/ the 'shortcut'.

BTW - when you do that you'll pass Encounter, which is a restaurant/bar in the space-agey looking building. It's not normally that crowded & is a great place to have drink/watch planes landing & taking off. Just enter & take the elevator (goofy-space music in elevator).

Cheers.
While T6 & T7 are connected airside, OP is arriving from international, so he/she will exit T6 outside of security. I am doubtful he will be allowed back in without a UA or CO BP. Even if he could get back in, the AC lounge is better than UA RCC, so I'd pick that.

If your carry-on's aren't too heavy, you might just want to walk the "horseshoe" to get from T6 to T2. You'll have plenty of time to kill, so you might not want to spend it all inside the AC lounge. (I don't know NZ lounge since it has been renovated.) Being outside in the day light may help with adjusting time zones. But the suggestion to cut through the parking garages also works.

Also agree with suggestion about trying the Encounters restaurant. I may have an opportunity to go there in November myself.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the good answers. I appreciate your time.

My one-and-only experience in LAX [May '04], I had no idea where anything was and stopped in a bar where a very small glass of wine was $9. This time, I'm going to be better prepared for my 5 hours there!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thank you, everyone, for the good answers. I appreciate your time.

My one-and-only experience in LAX [May '04], I had no idea where anything was and stopped in a bar where a very small glass of wine was $9. This time, I'm going to be better prepared for my 5 hours there!

And with 5 hours, you might want to try to hit up In-and-Out ^
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:47 pm

Well I think any bar you stop at at an airport is going to be expensive - I think Encounter wines are $7-10, but they're a normal size glass. I thought I read recently that the Air New Zealand lounge post renovation is quite nice.

Heck, w/ 5 hours you could catch one of the airport hotel shuttles to hotel (ie, Hilton, Sheraton, Westin, etc) & then take the Century Blvd shuttle to Manhattan Beach, or the Hilton Garden Inn - El Segundo shuttle to Manhattan Beach, and have a bite to eat/drink there/walk on the pier, and then catch shuttle back.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well I think any bar you stop at at an airport is going to be expensive
Unless its free - like in the Air NZ lounge for instance
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:23 am

Well that goes w/o saying KiwiFlyer!! Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Brand new interim business lounge at LAX Tom Bradley (TBIT)

Yesterday was the first day this lounge was open. It looks and smells brand new. By sheer coincidence I happened to be flying out of TBIT yesterday.

There is a shuttle bus to & from gate 118 (very close to the right hand screening point) every 5 to 10 minutes in the evening (not sure of frequency at other times of day), and it takes about 5 minutes to reach the lounge depending on aircraft movements. So if have less than 30 minutes before boarding don't bother with a lounge visit - it isnt worthwhile. You need an invitation card to access the shuttle - no card no access regardless of what your boarding pass says. This also means you can't do multiple visits, since the invite card is removed before you board the shuttle.

Looks like about 400 chairs, all laid out closely in a big open plan with one corner partly screened off from the rest. There are 4 or 5 computer terminals with an outrageous internet charge of $0.25 per minute, minimum $3.

All plates, utensils and cups are plastic - yuk. Food is low quality - chips, cheese and crackers, mini sandwiches (mostly grilled vege flavour), small selection of fruit. Drink quality is low - eg cheap local sparkling wine in 187ml bottle instead of champagne, Johnnie Walker Red, etc. No drink chits needed and all self serve (so no tips needed either).

While it wasn't too busy when I was there (for one of the earliest evening departures) with maybe 150 people, I could imagine it getting claustrophobically busy in peak travel periods.

There are toilets but no shower and no bathroom amenities (other than paper towels).

There is only 1 rubbish bin in the public area of the lounge, but staff wander around clearing away the rubbish.

There is no tv or even a monitor showing flight status. Instead when it is time to board someone wanders the lounge with a small blackboard and flight number is written on it, ringing a bell to attract attention! I suggest you don't go to the loo at the wrong time or you'd easily miss it.

Some airlines have ground staff circulating in the lounge. They say expect at least 12 to 18 months, and confirmed that top tier elites who would normally have access to first lounge when not flying first will indeed have to slum it in this interim lounge.

There are no magazines and only a very limited selection and quantity of newspapers.

I hope this info helps. Please ask if I haven't mentioned something you want to know.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 11, 2006 at 4:50 pm Reason: mixed left and right hands :o
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Are you sure you weren't in a third-world country? That sounds awful and a sorry excuse for a interim lounge. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.