2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Hello all — long time listener, first time caller here.

Wondering how soon after landing in TBIT I can plan on connecting in T4.

Arriving on EVA air scheduled for 4:20 PM on a Wednesday to TBIT.

Connection is to DFW on AA. Currently on a 7:40 PM but there are flights at 6:35, 5:55, and 5:05. AFAICT, all those flights are AA operated as opposed to AE. Would like to get home as early as possible after an extremely long day of travel.

Wife and I are both US citizens, have GE/pre-check, and will be carrying on only.

How quickly do you think we could make it over to the AA gates in T4?

I’m PP on AA so same day standby or a confirmed flight change are possible.

My thinking right now is to put in for standby on all of the above and then call to confirm the flight change once we clear customs (assuming it’d take 30 minutes from that point to reach our gate in T4). Would be the first time I’ve done any voodoo like that, so I’d love to hear any insights you might have.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:46 pm

i am almost always wheels-down to at-home (15 miles from LAX) in under 60 minutes - global entry with carry-on-only is blazing fast through Bradley - I'd book the shortest LAX connection allowed, as per MCT.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by msansoucie
Wife and I are both US citizens, have GE/pre-check, and will be carrying on only.

How quickly do you think we could make it over to the AA gates in T4?
Arriving at TBIT with Global Entry and carry-on luggage only, I generally make it from plane to curb in 10-15 minutes. The one time that it took a few minutes longer - last year - I was stuck behind a foreign airline crew at the GE/Crew exit from the customs hall. Add five minutes to walk to T4 and another 5-10 minutes to clear PreCheck security and you can probably make it to the gate in half an hour.

All of AA's flights from LAX to DFW are mainline and depart from T4. However, based on operational needs, some may leave from T5, which would add another five minutes.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
GE+no luggage+precheck means you will make it to the T4 air side in 30 minutes.

You are pushing it to get on the 5:05PM but the 5:55PM one looks pretty good.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 9:32 pm

How early before a domestic flight do I need to arrive at LAX? I will be on AA118 dep LAX 0700 to JFK in a couple of weeks. Non-US passport, OWE, J, with checked bags (if any of that matters). Can someone confirm:

1. Will this flight depart from Term 4?
2. Is 0500 a sensible time to arrive at the airport? In Australia that would be insanely early but I gather US security, even domestic, can take up to an hour.

Apologies if this is obvious - I couldn't seem to find the answer. Thank you!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: AP 35K
Hello! I'm flying from YVR to SAL via LAX with Delta.

Will I have to pick up my luggage in LAX after landing, and drop it off again, or will it go directly to SAL?

What about when I come back (SAL-LAX-YVR)? If I have to pick it up, how early can I drop my luggage? I have an 8h layover on my flight back and I would rather not be carrying my luggage around if I want to leave the airport for a burger or something...

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by secondsoprano
How early before a domestic flight do I need to arrive at LAX? I will be on AA118 dep LAX 0700 to JFK in a couple of weeks. Non-US passport, OWE, J, with checked bags (if any of that matters). Can someone confirm:

1. Will this flight depart from Term 4?
2. Is 0500 a sensible time to arrive at the airport? In Australia that would be insanely early but I gather US security, even domestic, can take up to an hour.

Apologies if this is obvious - I couldn't seem to find the answer. Thank you!
I take this flight several times a year. If you are not checking luggage, you can arrive at T4 at 6AM and still have time to visit the lounge for some breakfast. The caveat is I have precheck so I don't use the normal security line (which will be LOOOOOONG at 6 AM), and I know my car around LAX so I get dropped off at T1 or T2 and walk to T4 or TBIT. Add 20 min if you are checking bags. Use the AA elite section on the far end of hall away from the mass of humanity in the plebs self-checking section.

The key words above is arrive at T4. If you are returning a rental car, add 1 hour.

Also, the departure level at LAX will be super congested with Uber cars at 6AM (they are not allowed to use the otherwise empty arrival level) so either get dropped off outside the airport or tip the driver and convince him or her to use the lower arrival level.

Departure gate can be at T4 or TBIT for LAX-JFK but either way, you can use the T4 OW elite line. TBIT gates are connected to T4 gates behind security.

Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
Hello! I'm flying from YVR to SAL via LAX with Delta.

Will I have to pick up my luggage in LAX after landing, and drop it off again, or will it go directly to SAL?

What about when I come back (SAL-LAX-YVR)? If I have to pick it up, how early can I drop my luggage? I have an 8h layover on my flight back and I would rather not be carrying my luggage around if I want to leave the airport for a burger or something...

Thanks!
You clear US custom at YVR so your bags should be tagged and transferred to SAL by Delta.

On return, you need to clear US custom at LAX so you will clear immigration, then pick up you bags and clear custom. Afterwards, you will be able to recheck your bags if you are arriving at TBIT before leaving the secured area. If you are arriving T2, the procedure may be different but you will be at Delta terminal after clearing custom so just go upstairs and check in for your flight to YVR.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 25, 2018 at 9:29 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the insider tips bzcat, much appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Advice on connection time

I need to connect to a domestic flight from VA Flight 1, scheduled to arrive in LAX from SYD at 6:05 a.m. on Tuesday, 26 Feb 2019. Both DL and VA show me a connection to DL 2531 (to BOS), departing LAX at 8:10 a.m. I have Global Entry and TSA PreCheck. I expect to have one checked bag but could possibly go without if necessary. Is this connection realistic, or do I have to arrange a longer layover at LAX? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:11 pm

If you have no checked bag, you will be curb side in 20 minutes with GE and have plenty of time to spare.

If you have checked bag, it could take up to 1 hour to come out. But transfer to DL is a very short walk land side so you should be fine with 2 hour connection time. If both segments are on the same itinerary, I wouldn't even worry about it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:13 pm

Hi Guys,

am booked on two separate tickets and hoping I will make it:

Date: 18 Oct
1) Arriving into LAX from HND on NH106
2) Departing LAX to LIM on LA601.

Any insights on if I would be able to check my luggage through, or if I have to pick them up at customs and re-clear them.

Cheers,
waver99
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:05 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by waver99
Any insights on if I would be able to check my luggage through, or if I have to pick them up at customs and re-clear them.
Whether ANA will check your luggage to your final destination on another airline when flying on separate tickets is a question best asked in the All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club forum.

Every passenger arriving at LAX on international flights that did not originate at preclearance airports must claim their luggage and take it through customs. If the bags are tagged through to the final destination, they can be dropped off at the recheck desks at the exit from the customs hall. If the luggage is not tagged/checked through, it must be taken to the check in counter of the airline operating the next flight segment.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Whether ANA will check your luggage to your final destination on another airline when flying on separate tickets is a question best asked in the All Nippon Airways ANA Mileage Club forum.

Every passenger arriving at LAX on international flights that did not originate at preclearance airports must claim their luggage and take it through customs. If the bags are tagged through to the final destination, they can be dropped off at the recheck desks at the exit from the customs hall. If the luggage is not tagged/checked through, it must be taken to the check in counter of the airline operating the next flight segment.
Thanks for the clear information and speedy response. Could I check what is the MCT for international - international transfer if both airlines are at TBIT? Am wondering if I have enough time.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waver99
..Could I check what is the MCT for international - international transfer if both airlines are at TBIT? Am wondering if I have enough time..
With separate tickets MCT is not relevant. MCT is only for where both flights are on the same PNR/ticket. You are not connecting in the common airline usage of that word.

With separate tickets 60-90-120 minues in additional to the same PNR/ticket MCTime is often suggested. Many factors to be considered, including the immigration queue time. You will have to check-in for the LA flight. But is all your risk.

Have you checked which terminal NH land and LA take off from? Or LAX airport web site. May be on your tickets.

OP other thread on this topic:---> Baggage checkthrough on LAN on a separate ticket

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 1, 2018 at 3:43 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With separate tickets MCT is not relevant. MCT is only for where both flights are on the same PNR/ticket. You are not connecting in the common airline usage of that word.

With separate tickets 60-90-120 minues in additional to the same PNR/ticket MCTime is often suggested. Many factors to be considered, including the immigration queue time. You will have to check-in for the LA flight. But is all your risk.

Have you checked which terminal NH land and LA take off from? Or LAX airport web site. May be on your tickets.

OP other thread on this topic:---> Baggage checkthrough on LAN on a separate ticket
Thanks. Yea realise MCT was for connecting on the same PNR. Anyways was just looking for a gauge.

Both airlines are in TBIT if that helps and I have about 4hrs55mins. I stupidly thought I wouldn't have to clear customs given that fact when booking the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.