Consolidated "Customs and Immigration at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all,
I was having trouble deciding to post in the Security thread or this one and went with this one since the Security page is now mostly about bashing the TSA now (not that I mind I don't like them either!)

Anywho, I will be arriving on the late flight from HKG (Cathay) that gets in after 9pm, and am connecting to a domestic AA flight that leaves after 11pm. Should I have cause to be concerned with getting through immigration/customs, then to another terminal and through security?

If it helps I am flying business so I'd get to use any express lines. Thanks!
Old May 16, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: BR Gold
Hmmm, no customs express lines at TBIT that I've seen. If you land on time, you should have time to make it to an AA flight that leaves after 11pm.

I've been in your situation, minus the transfer since I'm LA-based, and the 9pm international arrivals are numerous. You have to claim all your bags even if transferring. You should be through customs by 10pm max. If your bags are checked all the way to your final destination, coming out of customs, go RIGHT (sign says something like "TRANSFERS"). Up the incline will be an area to re-check your bags. Once they're on the way, exit the terminal to the right (WITH the flow of traffic) and walk the 100 or so meters to terminal 4.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
TBIT unpredictable as the winds

A family I know came in HKG-LAX (CX/Y) on the 1:xx pm arrival in late March but didn't get out until past 4 pm. They said it was all immigration and not baggage/customs.

The key is the distribution of arrival times on a particular day, which can be unpredictable. TBIT trans-Pacific arrivals are all long-haul from a variety of Asian cities (beyond Japan) and that means knowing the arrival schedules is still meaningless, since every flight can get affected by the jet stream differently.

Am I right to say that being in F/C doesn't help if you're the 5th B747/B777 to arrive TBIT in 15 minutes?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:45 pm
Suspended

how long does it currently take to clear US immigration & security at LAX?

I'm arriving at LAX on an int'l flight. (early afternoon on a
weekday) The airline uses TBIT. How long can I expect
to wait to clear US immigration? (US citizen)

(and then clear TSA security for a domestic flight in
another teminal)

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Depends on the time of day and how many people are on the plane with you.

My last trip from Australia, from landing in LA to going through customs and then going to terminal 3 and through security again took me just 2 1/2 hours. Customs actually went fairly quickly (about 45 minutes), but once I got to terminal 3 and had to go through security again, the line was down the escalator and out the door. That was the longest part. The time of day for me was around 11:00 am..........
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:00 pm

It is really hard to predict, but I will leave at least 2 to 2.5 hours. I just went through LAX a couple weeks ago, and the whole process took about 2 hours (Fully loaded 777 arriving around 9 pm). The breakdown is as follows:

Deplane, walk to customs, pass thourgh customs and immigration - 40 min.

Wait for bags to show up at carousel - 25 minutes.

Drops the bags off at the connecting flight station - 15 minutes (only one agent on duty).

Walk to United terminal 7 - 15 minutes.

Go thorugh security check at United terminal - 20 minutes.

Walk to gate - 5 minutes
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: BD* Gold HI Plat
Arriving on LH in F (so 1st off the plane) in August, took just under 2 hours to get through TBIT, and it wasn't that busy. This was a Wednesday, leaving the plane at 16:50.
My brother arrived from SYD last Christmas in the morning, also took 2 hours to clear TBIT.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:35 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Yikes! I have 1 hour 50 mins!

I arrive on AA137 at 3.05pm and Depart on American Eagle at 4.55 to Las Vegas. I believe this is all in T4 though. Assuming I land on time, is the enough? It's a Monday when I land. Flight seems midway full, if the seat map is anything to go by!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I'd say no worries. More than likely you will make it with no problems and if you did miss your connection, American Eagle is not going to give you any grief about putting you on the next flight.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
I'd say no worries. More than likely you will make it with no problems and if you did miss your connection, American Eagle is not going to give you any grief about putting you on the next flight.
I certainly hope so as this is the last Las Vegas flight of the day! I don't want to lose a night in Vegas as I'm only there for 4!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
I certainly hope so as this is the last Las Vegas flight of the day! I don't want to lose a night in Vegas as I'm only there for 4!
You will probably be OK because you are NOT in TBIT. TBIT is the armpit of terminals - an LAX disgrace. If you were going through there the others are right, 2-3 hours is a good guess.

However, I have landed at UA terminal 7 with carryon and made it through in 15 minutes. Be glad you are with AA.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:09 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few weeks ago I came in late morning and it only took 45 min. Only problem was the little elevator and some sign saying the stairs were closed (and there really weren't).
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:39 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
As rude and as dumb as you may feel as soon as you get off the plane RUN to immigration because most of the time several planes are arriving at the same time and sometimes just a few extra minutes can make a real difference. I do this and many times about 5 minutes later there are hundreds of people behind me and maybe a hundred ahead of me.

It works for me.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:26 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by wingless
As rude and as dumb as you may feel as soon as you get off the plane RUN to immigration because most of the time several planes are arriving at the same time and sometimes just a few extra minutes can make a real difference. I do this and many times about 5 minutes later there are hundreds of people behind me and maybe a hundred ahead of me.

It works for me.
And works for me. I haul @ss off the plane when parking at Bradley. I've jogged in to the immigration hall to find it nearly empty. By the time I finish with the officer it is bedlam.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:14 pm
UAL

Programs: UA
LAX immigration clearance.

Haven't cleared immigration at LAX for sometimes so not sure how it immigration take.

For Saturday afternoon

UA 935 LHR - LAX scheduled arrival 14:35

UA 934 LAX - LHR scheduled departure 16:49

This is not a MR thing, but an unexpected trip that I have to take.

I checked UA flight status and it states that both flights both arrive and depart on T7. If that is the case do I need to clear immigration? If I decide to clear immigration, how long would it take?

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.