2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:21 pm

Question Transiting through LAX

Currently scheduled to fly from YEG-YVR-LAX-HND. Entire trip was booked through Aeroplan points, operated by AC and NH.
During check-in at YEG, will AC check my bags all the way through to HND? Or will I need to pick up at LAX and do the check-in process at ANA again?

The last time i transited through LAX was in 2017 and it was a flight from HND - LAX - YEG (all operated by Delta) and they had us pick up bags and recheck in (but this was before Terminal B was built).

Has anyone had experience with a similar route? I know i clear US Customs in YVR but will my luggage be checked through, or will I have to pick up at LAX and then wait until 3 hours before my flight to check them in with ANA?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by fluffpanda
Currently scheduled to fly from YEG-YVR-LAX-HND. Entire trip was booked through Aeroplan points, operated by AC and NH.
During check-in at YEG, will AC check my bags all the way through to HND? Or will I need to pick up at LAX and do the check-in process at ANA again?
Welcome to FlyerTalk fluffpanda!

Air Canada should tag your bags all the way to HND. You should clear US immigration and customs at the pre-clearance facility at YVR, so you should not see your bags again till you arrive at HND.

FWIIW, Terminal B, or the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), opened in 1984, in time for the Summer Olympic Games (XXIII Olympiad). It has been remodeled a couple of times since then and is currently under renovations again.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Welcome to FlyerTalk fluffpanda!

Air Canada should tag your bags all the way to HND. You should clear US immigration and customs at the pre-clearance facility at YVR, so you should not see your bags again till you arrive at HND.

FWIIW, Terminal B, or the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), opened in 1984, in time for the Summer Olympic Games (XXIII Olympiad). It has been remodeled a couple of times since then and is currently under renovations again.

Thank you so much! This gives me peace of mind. I was hoping to spend my 7 hr layover visiting a couple lounges. I really wasn't looking forward to sitting outside on landside waiting for check in to open for me.

And cool fact about Terminal B! I always thought it was a new addition but all my flights to LA were through Canada so i hadn't heard of that terminal til 2017.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:17 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for a return flight from Melbourne to Montreal. The best option by far is by going through LAX. I would arrive at Terminal B at 6:45 AM on a Wednesday (with United), and would have to catch a flight at Terminal 6 to Montreal at 8:50 AM (Air-Canada). Traveling in Economy class.

I would just have a carry-on luggage.

Is 2h05 enough to make my transfer?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jakeoh
Hi all,

I'm looking for a return flight from Melbourne to Montreal. The best option by far is by going through LAX. I would arrive at Terminal B at 6:45 AM on a Wednesday (with United), and would have to catch a flight at Terminal 6 to Montreal at 8:50 AM (Air-Canada). Traveling in Economy class.

I would just have a carry-on luggage.

Is 2h05 enough to make my transfer?
Are you US Citizen? Do you have have global entry? If you have US passport or have global entry, you will have plenty of time to connect with just carry-on. Without global entry and on foreign passport, you have to assume about 30 minutes to clear immigration. And budget another 20 minutes to clear TSA at T6. You can walk from TBIT to T6 in about 15 minutes. So it is kind of close but not a risky connection.

Are you booking both segments on a single ticket? That will help in case something goes sideways.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
Are you US Citizen? Do you have have global entry? If you have US passport or have global entry, you will have plenty of time to connect with just carry-on. Without global entry and on foreign passport, you have to assume about 30 minutes to clear immigration. And budget another 20 minutes to clear TSA at T6. You can walk from TBIT to T6 in about 15 minutes. So it is kind of close but not a risky connection.

Are you booking both segments on a single ticket? That will help in case something goes sideways.
Thanks bzcat. I'm Canadian and do not have Global entry. Both segments would be booked on a single ticket.

I saw that this flight (UA99) is frequently late (20-40 minutes in average), so I think I'll just save myself the trouble and find a different route.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jakeoh
Thanks bzcat. I'm Canadian and do not have Global entry.
Do you have NEXUS?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Do you have NEXUS?
No, I don't have NEXUS.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 2:41 pm

Is there a connection desk in LAX Terminal B? I am flying AC and then connecting to NH in LAX. I assume the Air Canada check in app will provide me all 3 boarding pass QR codes, but in the event it doesn't, where should i go to get my boarding pass? Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 4:51 pm

Is there a connection desk in LAX Terminal B? I am flying AC and then connecting to NH in LAX. I assume the Air Canada check in app will provide me all 3 boarding pass QR codes, but in the event it doesn't, where should i go to get my boarding pass? Thanks!
Since LAX is my home airport, I have never connected there. To the best of my knowledge, there are no shared connections desks/counters. For passengers arriving at TBIT (Terminal B), there are luggage recheck/drop off desks that are operated by the various airlines which may also function as connection desks, however, Air Canada's flights arrive in Terminal 6.

There are shared self-service check-in kiosks in the T4 - TBIT connector building, where you will be passing if you were to go airside from T6 to TBIT. I do not know if ANA uses those.

The ANA guide to LAX instructs customers who transit from United Airlines to ANA to go to the Tom Bradley International Terminal from Terminals 6-8 on foot or the terminal connecting buses and check-in at the ANA counter if they hadn't already checked-in to their ANA flights at their departure airports. I suspect that the same is true for passengers connecting from Air Canada.

I will add that if you have access to the Star Alliance Lounge at TBIT, there should be ANA agents there who can check you in for your flight.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd suggest you stay airside (it is a bit convoluted if you're not familiar with the tunnels) and only go to the NH landside check-in if all else fails. Any "connection desk" possibilities only exist (as already stated) for int'l arrivals after you retrieve your bags. Regardless of whether you have BPs issues at your originating airport, the NH gate will likely want to do a doc check if you haven't previously seen an LAX NH agent.

And also, try the machines, which are hard to miss, on the T-4 to TBIT bridge. You'll "leave the tunnels" at T4 and go up to T4, and walk over - The entire walk may seem confusing but is well signed. Don't, don't, don't leave the secured area. The last thing you want to do is deal with TBIT security unless you have pre-check.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any "connection desk" possibilities only exist (as already stated) for int'l arrivals after you retrieve your bags.
I neglected to make it clear to fluffpanda that the recheck/connection desks are at the exit from the customs hall and outside the secured airside area of the airport.

According to an earlier post in this thread, fluffpanda is originating at YEG, which has a US CBP pre-clearance facility, so they will be clearing US immigration and customs in Canada and their flight will be arriving at a domestic gate at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.