2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by AlexBelt
Hi all,

I will be flying from Paris Charles de Gaulle on 11 November to SFO via LAX.

Air France flight arrives at TBIT. Can someone of you help me with my connection? I have 2H10 connecting time between the AF flight and the Delta one to SFO.

Is there any way to go from TBIT to Terminals 2/3 under the restricted area, or do i have in any case to go landside and go to the Terminals 2/3 and pass again the security control?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,

Alex
In the US, because you must reclaim your checked luggage at your first US stop. So, because you will have access to checked bags, you will have to pass security again. Two ways to do that arriving at TBIT and transferring to T2/3 for Delta.
1. When you leave the secure customs area of TBIT you can reclear security in TBIT and go to the Delta bus gates at the far north end of the gates -- around 136 or so I think. There is a map and directions on the Delta www site showing bus gates -- https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...02_Desktop.jpg

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s-angeles.html Know whether you are departing for T3 or T2 since the bus stops at both.
2. Or you can leave the secure customs area of TBIT, go upstairs to the ticketing level, go out the front of the terminal, turn left (against the flow of vehicle traffic) and walk 8 to 10 minutes to T3/T2 and clear security there. (Go upstairs for the walk to avoid the exhaust fumes on the lower level and to enjoy the CA sun, unless its raining, then maybe walk downstairs.) Don't take the interterminal bus because you will go all the way around before getting back to the DL gates.
No info about you -- US passport, prechek, global entry. Assuming you aren't on the last flight of the day, if you miss the LAX-SFO connection, these are every 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Enjoy your trip.
tom
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you are departing from T3, just walk landside. It will take you no more than 2 minutes to go up a flight of stairs outside TBIT to reach T3 check in. Add another minute if you want to take the elevator instead.

If you are departing from T2, you can try to air side bus mot29 suggested but keep in mind that TBIT arrival area TSA and the air side bus station are located at opposite ends so once you cleared TSA at TBIT arrival, you have to walk all the way back to the north side of TBIT... about the same distance as TBIT to T2 land side. So you are not saving any time at all in my opinion. I would just walk to T2 after you exit TBIT custom and not bother with the air side bus (or the land side bus for that matter, which is headed in the wrong direction).

2 hours is probably enough for this connection if you have global entry and don't have checked luggage and the connection is in T3. 3 hours is recommended if you are not US passport holder, have checked luggage or your connecting flight is out of T2. Also, if this is on the same ticket, I will feel pretty good... if they are two separate tickets, I will not attempt with less than 3 hours.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:25 pm

Arrive ANZ 006 to TBIT –transfer to AA0556 T4 in 1:55?

My son is coming home from his study abroad next Wednesday (6/27), arriving ANZ 006 from AKL at 12:35. AA moved his flight AA0556 to PHL up an hour since we purchased so it’s departing at 2:30. The tickets are separate. He will have a carry-on and two suitcases (he’s been there since Feb!). He is seated in the middle of the plane, row 42, aisle seat.
This is the last flight that’s not a red-eye. I’ve read through many posts and he will have Global Passport app. I know about the internal security in the link between TBIT and T4---my husband and I used it when we came back from visiting him.
Any further suggestions for him? If the flight is late or any other big delay, we have Cranky Concierge to help rebook him on a red eye. I’d just love for him to catch that afternoon flight if he can.
I’m a little bummed to see ANZ only has a 60% on time arrival history with this flight.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Emmjae
My son is coming home from his study abroad next Wednesday (6/27), arriving ANZ 006 from AKL at 12:35. AA moved his flight AA0556 to PHL up an hour since we purchased so it’s departing at 2:30. The tickets are separate. He will have a carry-on and two suitcases (he’s been there since Feb!). He is seated in the middle of the plane, row 42, aisle seat.
This is the last flight that’s not a red-eye. I’ve read through many posts and he will have Global Passport app. I know about the internal security in the link between TBIT and T4---my husband and I used it when we came back from visiting him.
Any further suggestions for him? If the flight is late or any other big delay, we have Cranky Concierge to help rebook him on a red eye. I’d just love for him to catch that afternoon flight if he can.
I’m a little bummed to see ANZ only has a 60% on time arrival history with this flight.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Emmjae!

The published minimum connect time from international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours.

That being said, the big ifs here are how long it will take his checked bags to get to the luggage carousel - at TBIT it can take up to an hour - and whether he'll be able make the 45 minutes bags check-in cutoff time for his AA flight. Since he's on separate tickets, I don't know whether he will be able to use the AA bags drop-off/recheck desk at TBIT. Using a skycap outside T4 may save him precious minutes if he can't.

He also needs to watch out whether the flight to PHL departs from T4 or T5, AA has flights departing from both terminals. The latter is about 5-10 minutes farther from TBIT.

When you write "Global Passport app", do you mean Global Entry or Mobile Passport App? Again, this may make a difference of a few minutes, which may prove crucial.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:47 pm

No, sorry, I meant Mobile Passport App. Cranky Concierge informed us that the AA flight was departing from T4, but thanks for the heads up if it changes. If he can’t use the AA bags drop-off/recheck desk at TBIT, should he take all the bags through security (is that even allowed?) or go outside and over to T4, use a skycap, and re-enter security there? Also, I’m guessing he would need his boarding pass printed out or on his phone in order to even use the AA bags drop-off/recheck? I’ll sure make sure to tell him to turn on the charm at there! And great tip about the skycaps. I’ll make sure he has dollars in his pocket. Thanks so much for welcoming me. This is a great forum, I’ve learned so much just lurking around!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

If he can’t use the AA bags drop-off/recheck desk at TBIT, should he take all the bags through security (is that even allowed?)
Not allowed.

...or go outside and over to T4, use a skycap, and re-enter security there?
This. If the TSA security checkpoint lines are long at T4, he can backtrack after leaving his bags with the skycap and use the T4-TBIT connector building security checkpoint.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:24 pm

I don't think the TBIT bag re-check station will take his luggage because they will be tagged only to LAX not PHL. However, it won't hurt to try... but only if there is a short line.

There are a couple of things he can do:
1. Check in online via his mobile phone as soon as the ANZ plane lands at LAX. It will take about 10 minutes to taxi to the gate so plenty of time to complete the check in. Don't wait until he is inside TBIT because there is no phone reception in the immigration area. Check in online also lets him know which terminal he will be departing from (could be T4, T5, or TBIT).
2. ANZ may have someone at the gate passing out the orange transit pass. If he sees this, go head and ask for one. It will allow him to use the priority lane at immigration since he doesn't have GE.
3. Find a luggage cart... pay for one if he has to. This will help him move quickly once out of custom and to T4.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
2. ANZ may have someone at the gate passing out the orange transit pass. If he sees this, go head and ask for one. It will allow him to use the priority lane at immigration since he doesn't have GE.
I believe that the orange Express Connection passes are exclusively used by oneworld airlines, which ANZ is not.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:51 am

So, how’s this for instructions? Am I missing anything? (Thanks for everyone's help!)

Prior to departure:
Install and complete Mobile Passport App
Install AA app for check-in
When checking into Air New Zealand, ask gate agent if possible to tag luggage through to Philly. (They will almost definitely say not. Either way, you’ll still need to pick it up in LAX.)
Upon LAX landing/while taxiing to gate:
Check in with AA, confirm departure gate
Complete the “New Trip” in the Mobile Passport App upon arrival in the United States, submit your customs declaration form through the app to receive a QR code
Head to Immigration/Customs. Have passport ready, MPC app ready to open on phone:
Look for signs for MPC Mobile Passport Control lines
Clear Immigration and Customs
Collect bags
Either: Head towards “Baggage Recheck”. If line is short, try and get bags checked at Bags Recheck AA counter (Baggage recheck counters immediately after customs (the airlines are not labelled but the AA agents are usually the last desk on the left.)
If able to recheck bags, turn right (don’t exit to exterior). (If line is long, see below and go to T4)
Turn right and follow signs for "Gates 40-159 / TSA Checkpoint".
After clearing TSA Checkpoint, follow signs to T4 gate. Take the elevator to the 5th floor and you will be between TBIT and T4 in the airside corridor.
Or: if not able to use Baggage Recheck/if line is too long: Consider getting a cart to use if luggage is unwieldy. Walk from TBIT to T4 by exiting TBIT to the sidewalk and make a right turn and walk about 25 yards to reach the entrance to T4. Use Skycaps outside to check bags to PHL. (Have US$ to tip.)
Assess Security Lines in T4. If short, use them. If long, go BACK to TBIT the way you came and follow above picture to use that TSA security and follow inside corridor back to T4.
Clear TSA Checkpoint and go to departure gate.

Last edited by Emmjae; Jun 24, 2018 at 12:18 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Two comments.

It is extremely unlikely that ANZ will tag your son's bags all the way through to PHL. Nowadays, airlines rarely check bags through if the flights are on separate PNR's or tickets; that is especially when the routing involves different airlines that belong to separate alliances.

Secondly, your son can check in for his AA flight up to 24 hours in advance; thus, he can do that even before departing from AKL. The mobile boarding pass on the AA app will automatically update gate information if there are any changes (and with AA at LAX, those are quite common).
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Two comments.

It is extremely unlikely that ANZ will tag your son's bags all the way through to PHL. Nowadays, airlines rarely check bags through if the flights are on separate PNR's or tickets; that is especially when the routing involves different airlines that belong to separate alliances.

Secondly, your son can check in for his AA flight up to 24 hours in advance, so he can do that before departing from AKL. The electronic boarding pass on the AA app will automatically update gate information if there are any changes (and with AA at LAX, those are quite common).
Noted about the bag tag. I'll tell him to check in before he leaves, and then just to check his pass when he lands. thank you!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:05 pm

Unless your son is flying domestic first class or have status with AA, he will also have to pay to check his bags. So make sure he has a US-issued credit or debit card when he recheck his bag at either TBIT or T4.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:45 pm

Unless your son is flying domestic first class or have status with AA, he will also have to pay to check his bags. So make sure he has a US-issued credit or debit card when he recheck his bag at either TBIT or T4.
Yes, thank you for the reminder! He will have TWO bags to check. He had to take 3 seasons of clothes. I'll remind him to plan for it in LAX. We already paid ahead for the extra bag at ANZ.
(He does have US issued cards with him--that's how he handled money there without having to open a bank account. USAA debit card and Chase no foreign transaction fee card. The ONLY time that was a wee bit of a wrinkle was with his Brazilian Jujitsu gym, they only take checks. Or CASH as we ended up paying!)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
Originally Posted by mot29
In the US, because you must reclaim your checked luggage at your first US stop. So, because you will have access to checked bags, you will have to pass security again. Two ways to do that arriving at TBIT and transferring to T2/3 for Delta.
1. When you leave the secure customs area of TBIT you can reclear security in TBIT and go to the Delta bus gates at the far north end of the gates -- around 136 or so I think. There is a map and directions on the Delta www site showing bus gates -- https://www.delta.com/content/dam/de...02_Desktop.jpg

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s-angeles.html Know whether you are departing for T3 or T2 since the bus stops at both.
2. Or you can leave the secure customs area of TBIT, go upstairs to the ticketing level, go out the front of the terminal, turn left (against the flow of vehicle traffic) and walk 8 to 10 minutes to T3/T2 and clear security there. (Go upstairs for the walk to avoid the exhaust fumes on the lower level and to enjoy the CA sun, unless its raining, then maybe walk downstairs.) Don't take the interterminal bus because you will go all the way around before getting back to the DL gates.
No info about you -- US passport, prechek, global entry. Assuming you aren't on the last flight of the day, if you miss the LAX-SFO connection, these are every 90 minutes to 2 hours.
Enjoy your trip.
tom
If you are departing from T3, just walk landside. It will take you no more than 2 minutes to go up a flight of stairs outside TBIT to reach T3 check in. Add another minute if you want to take the elevator instead.

If you are departing from T2, you can try to air side bus mot29 suggested but keep in mind that TBIT arrival area TSA and the air side bus station are located at opposite ends so once you cleared TSA at TBIT arrival, you have to walk all the way back to the north side of TBIT... about the same distance as TBIT to T2 land side. So you are not saving any time at all in my opinion. I would just walk to T2 after you exit TBIT custom and not bother with the air side bus (or the land side bus for that matter, which is headed in the wrong direction).

2 hours is probably enough for this connection if you have global entry and don't have checked luggage and the connection is in T3. 3 hours is recommended if you are not US passport holder, have checked luggage or your connecting flight is out of T2. Also, if this is on the same ticket, I will feel pretty good... if they are two separate tickets, I will not attempt with less than 3 hours.
Hi Mot29 and Bzcat,

Thanks a lot for your advice! Very much appreciated. To answer your questions, I don't have TSA/Global Entry as I have a French passport. Just the normal ESTA which allows to short the waiting time when using the automatic passport machines. Also, i'm not on last flight from LAX to SFO which gives me some maneouver margin as the ticket for both flights is just in one booking. I think it should be fine with your guidelines!

Thanks again and if you need any tips&tricks when coming to Paris or any where in France, I will be more than welcome to help you on the Airports, etc.

Have a great day,

Alex
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:29 pm

Grateful for your advice please re transferring luggage with a very long layover.

I am arriving on QF11 at 6.20am, transferring to an AA flight to JFK at 6am the next day. As it is less than 24 hours, it is considered (by Qantas at least) as a transfer and they will check bags through to JFK. I understand that I have to have my bag checked at LAX, then rechecked at the transfer desk. Am I going to encounter problems rechecking my bag, as the onward flight is the next day and I am obviously going to leave the airport, or will they accept that it is a transfer (albeit is a very long one)? I will be taking the opportunity to visit friends in LA and naturally I would much prefer not to have to have my check luggage with me for the 15 hours or so I will be out of the airport.

Last edited by secondsoprano; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:29 pm Reason: Typo - "next" should be "not"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.