2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:33 am

Changing terminals at LAX

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another? We have a 4 1/2 hour layover, arriving on Hawaiian (T-5), picking up and rechecking our baggage, and then flying out on Southwest(T-1). Wondering if it would be worth it to buy one day United Red Carpet passes and go to the club on T7?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by Benster
Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another? We have a 4 1/2 hour layover, arriving on Hawaiian (T-5), picking up and rechecking our baggage, and then flying out on Southwest(T-1). Wondering if it would be worth it to buy one day United Red Carpet passes and go to the club on T7?
Yes, you will need to exit and reenter security.

Here's a good guide (that wasn't available when this thread was started ) that may help you
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I made this a long time ago... but still works

You can see the staircase to go up to departure level right behind the black car. This walk from TBIT arrival hall to T3 check in counter takes about 90 seconds if you are able body person (add another 30 seconds if you use an elevator to get from arrival to departure level). From T3 to T2, it is another 5 minutes or so.

Taking the land side terminal bus going the wrong way around the circle from TBIT to T3 or t2 will take you about 40 minutes in traffic.

Going back to TBIT and clear security there and walk the long way across the entire north wing of TBIT to the air side bus station to T3 or T2 will take at least 30 minutes.

Your choice...

Here is the link to the current google map streetview of the upper departure level: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9443...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by bzcat; Mar 7, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:31 am

Hello, I'm trying to plan a trip and having trouble figuring out how much time I need to make a connection. The flight out of LAX is ANA international at 10:45AM. I plan on getting to LAX from SJC by SW, but their earliest flight seems to land in LAX at about 8AM. Is 2:45 enough time to connect from T1 to TBIT or should I just fly in the night before to be safe?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ramenchef
Hello, I'm trying to plan a trip and having trouble figuring out how much time I need to make a connection. The flight out of LAX is ANA international at 10:45AM. I plan on getting to LAX from SJC by SW, but their earliest flight seems to land in LAX at about 8AM. Is 2:45 enough time to connect from T1 to TBIT or should I just fly in the night before to be safe?
It probably is, but if you have checked luggage, I'd come in the prior night. (I am doing similar this week, but with a longer connection.) With luggage, you should be outside at T-1 by 8:30. Then you have a walk or bus to TBIT - walking is probably faster because of waiting for bus and roadway traffic, but plan another 15+ minutes.

Main cabin check-in lines @ TBIT always seem long and chaotic. I fortunately haven't been in one of those in years. If you have no status or premium cabin, plan on minimum 45 minutes to check in. TBIT security lines (even premium) can be "special." I'd allow minimum 30 minutes, probably more. You can head over to the T4 security checkpoints (or connecting flight checkpoint between the terminals) and walk back if need be and this may save time.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It probably is, but if you have checked luggage, I'd come in the prior night. (I am doing similar this week, but with a longer connection.) With luggage, you should be outside at T-1 by 8:30. Then you have a walk or bus to TBIT - walking is probably faster because of waiting for bus and roadway traffic, but plan another 15+ minutes.

Main cabin check-in lines @ TBIT always seem long and chaotic. I fortunately haven't been in one of those in years. If you have no status or premium cabin, plan on minimum 45 minutes to check in. TBIT security lines (even premium) can be "special." I'd allow minimum 30 minutes, probably more. You can head over to the T4 security checkpoints (or connecting flight checkpoint between the terminals) and walk back if need be and this may save time.
Thanks for the info. We will have some checked baggage unfortunately. As for premium cabins, we would have 1 F class and the rest being discount economy. Would everyone be allowed in the premium check-in line, or would we have to split up? I've never run into this situation before.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:20 am

2:45 is about the minimum you need for this connection. I usually advise against people using Southwest to self-connect at LAX because T1 is furthest from TBIT and Southwest doesn't interline with anyone. Let's hope your checked luggage comes out quickly at T1. Once you get the luggage, go upstairs to the departure level and walk to TBIT. It should take about 10 minutes. Taking the bus is going to be longer due to traffic. You will walk past all the bus stuck in traffic.

You can use premium check in if there is someone flying F in your party.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:59 pm

International to Domestic Transfer NZ - LAX - Fresno

Hi there, I am looking for some advice.

I am flying in to LAX from New Zealand on flight NZ2 (on a UK passport), arriving May 16th 2018 at 3pm.
I am looking to self connect to Fresno, I have not yet purchased a ticket and I am trying to figure out who/what the best airline/departure time would be.
I will be carrying one piece of checked luggage which I understand I will have to recheck myself as it will be 2 separate tickets.
Would AA be the best airline to go with as they depart from T4 near TBIT?
How much time should I be giving myself? AA have a flight that departs at 17:25, is 2 hours 25 enough time?

Any advice/help is much appreciated,

Rebecca Gray
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:36 pm

AA is fine but you will actually depart from a remote terminal so that adds more time - you have to take a 15~20 minutes bus ride from T4 to the remote terminal so 2.5 hours is pretty tight for this kind of connection. Ideally you will want 3 hours to connect two separate tickets that departs from a remote terminal.

This is the steps you have to go thru... You can do it in 2 hours if everything goes smoothly but an easily take 3 hours if something slows you down:

1. Walk from NZ2 to TBIT immigration - 10~15 minutes depending on which gate you park.
2. Clear immigration - 30~60 minutes depending on how long is the visitor line. You will need to be photographed and finger printed.
3. Collect luggage - up to 60 minutes. This is the part people always forget... chances are that you still need to wait for your luggage after you clear immigration.
4. Clear customs - 5~20 minutes. Assuming you have nothing to declare, this could take no time at all or 20 minutes depending on the line. NZ2 is probably not one of those flight that gets extra screening at custom but I'm not sure what other flights are arriving around the same time.
5. Walk to T4 - 2 minutes. This is the easiest part of your connection.
6. Check in with AA - 5~30 minutes. You can probably use the self-service kiosk so it takes only a few minutes but you still need to drop off the checked luggage so you have to go to the counter. Lines could be long.
7. Clear TSA - at least 20 minutes. You have to use the regular security line at T4, unless you have elite status with BA or QF.
8. Walk to the T4 bus stop - 5 minutes.
9. Wait for bus and ride to Eagle terminal - up to 20 minutes.

Last edited by bzcat; Mar 19, 2018 at 12:42 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
AA is fine but you will actually depart from a remote terminal so that adds more time - you have to take a 15~20 minutes bus ride from T4 to the remote terminal so 2.5 hours is pretty tight for this kind of connection. Ideally you will want 3 hours to connect two separate tickets that departs from a remote terminal.

This is the steps you have to go thru... You can do it in 2 hours if everything goes smoothly but an easily take 3 hours if something slows you down:

1. Walk from NZ2 to TBIT immigration - 10~15 minutes depending on which gate you park.
2. Clear immigration - 30~60 minutes depending on how long is the visitor line. You will need to be photographed and finger printed.
3. Collect luggage - up to 60 minutes. This is the part people always forget... chances are that you still need to wait for your luggage after you clear immigration.
4. Clear customs - 5~20 minutes. Assuming you have nothing to declare, this could take no time at all or 20 minutes depending on the line. NZ2 is probably not one of those flight that gets extra screening at custom but I'm not sure what other flights are arriving around the same time.
5. Walk to T4 - 2 minutes. This is the easiest part of your connection.
6. Check in with AA - 5~30 minutes. You can probably use the self-service kiosk so it takes only a few minutes but you still need to drop off the checked luggage so you have to go to the counter. Lines could be long.
7. Clear TSA - at least 20 minutes. You have to use the regular security line at T4, unless you have elite status with BA or QF.
8. Walk to the T4 bus stop - 5 minutes.
9. Wait for bus and ride to Eagle terminal - up to 20 minutes.

Thank you very much bzcat. If I were to get the 18:45 flight to Fresno with United Airlines would that be better? I understand their terminals are further away so would it make much difference?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Bekkasaurus
Thank you very much bzcat. If I were to get the 18:45 flight to Fresno with United Airlines would that be better? I understand their terminals are further away so would it make much difference?
The difference in the time that it takes to walk from TBIT to T4 (AA) and from TBIT to T7 (UA) is 10-12 minutes at the most.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:08 pm

just rent a car at LAX & drive the 4 hours
the 405N has a carpool lane from LAX to the 5N, then a beautiful drive through the grapevine and across most of the valley before 8pm sunset
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
just rent a car at LAX & drive the 4 hours
the 405N has a carpool lane from LAX to the 5N, then a beautiful drive through the grapevine and across most of the valley before 8pm sunset
Best case she will get out of the LAX rental lot at 16:15, right in the prime of Wednesday rush-hour traffic. One would need probably five hours to get to FAT.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bekkasaurus
Take this flight... much safer. You don’t need to rush and feel like a race against time. Walk from TBIT to T7 will take about 15 minutes longer than to T4 but the extra hour will ensure you don’t miss the connection.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:27 pm

Thank you all for your advice!
I've only ever driven on the left side of the road, I don't think I'd cope too well with my first attempt driving in the US in LA rush hour haha.
I'm going to go with the 18:15 UA flight, One final question (since I'm a US airport n00b, apologies!) where will I take my luggage to check it in/get my boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.