2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Self-connect to Southwest at LAX from international flights landing at TBIT require 3 hours minimum.
  • Foreign passport holders should budget at least 45 minutes to clear immigration at TBIT, longer at peak arrival time.
  • Custom time at TBIT is highly unpredictable due checked luggage arrival. It could take up to an hour for the first bag to show up after arrival. And the inspection/exit queues may be quite long depending on what other flights arrived around the same time. You should assume you need 30 minutes to claim bags and clear custom if you have checked luggage.
  • After existing custom, you could re-check luggage tagged to final destination. Except Southwest doesn't interline so there is no re-check. You must take your luggage with you.
  • Once landside, TBIT to T1 happens to be one of the longest transfer. The counter-clockwise terminal bus will stop at T4, T5, T6, and T7, and then circle back to T1. This could take up to 30 minutes in heavy traffic.Walking in the clockwise direction (towards T3, T2, and T1) is generally faster it is still a long walk... about 20 minutes if you walk fast.
  • Southwest T1 check in line is often out to the curb during peak departure hour. And then you have to clear TSA without precheck and get to the gate before last boarding call. I would budget 60 minutes to do this.

Add it all up, you need 3 hours to barely make it.

Last edited by bzcat; May 23, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old May 27, 2019, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Recent posts discussing how long it takes to clear immigration and customs at LAX were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:16 am

how much time between international flights at LAX

hi, I’ll be landing in LAX from Mexico at 7.20pm and wondering how much time I should allow for my next flight back to Australia?

I’m Australian so guessing will need to go through customs before the next flight with my bags before checking in to next flight.

im hoping to book at 10.30pm flight. Will 3 hours be enough?

my Mexico flight lands in Tom Bradford airport and it looks like booking with Virgin, I’d check in at terminal 3.

thank you
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk @Kahlia1406!

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

Yes, you will have to go through immigration and customs before proceeding to your next flight.

Three hours should be sufficient, however, if your flight from Mexico is late, you may not be protected on your flight to Australia if your booked them separately on different tickets.

Please take a look at the wikipost which appears at the top of every page in this thread for additional information.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

thank you!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:01 pm

Hello All,

I looked through the thread with nothing close to my question.. Will I have any issues making the connection? 7 passengers (1 infant) US passport holders

QF3012 Chicago (O Hare International) to Los Angeles Departs18:38 (Thu) Arrives 21:07 (Thu) Duration:4h 29min

QF3012 Chicago (O Hare International) to Los Angeles Departure Terminal 3 Arrival Terminal Flying on Airbus Industrie A321 Flight Operated by American Airlines

Transit in Los Angeles for 1h 23min

QF12 Los Angeles to Sydney Departs 22:30 (Thu) Arrives 06:30 (Sat) Duration:15h 00min

QF12 Los Angeles to Sydney Departure Terminal B
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:13 pm

you won't a problem if on time ORD-LAX and assuming all flights on one ticket
given AA's current operational challenges, i'd be nervous
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by o1281
Transit in Los Angeles for 1h 23min
It takes 10-12 minutes at the most to walk between the farthest gates at T4 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal (also known as TBIT or Terminal B).

If you were to misconnect, you should be protected on a later flight; American has a flight to SYD departing at 11:15 pm and Qantas has a flight departing to BNE at 11:20 pm, where you can connect to SYD.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:12 am

70 Min Connection - B to 7

Arriving on OZ202 and connecting to UA204 with about a 70min connection time. I have Global entry / Clear / PreCheck. No checked luggage.

Is this possible via landslide Dep level?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
Arriving on OZ202 and connecting to UA204 with about a 70min connection time. I have Global entry / Clear / PreCheck. No checked luggage.

Is this possible via landslide Dep level?
If your Asiana flight is on time, it should be no problem. With Global Entry and with no checked bags, I always make it from plane to curb at TBIT in 10-12 minutes. Depending on how fast you walk, getting to T7 from TBIT should take 12-20 minutes.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
If your Asiana flight is on time, it should be no problem. With Global Entry and with no checked bags, I always make it from plane to curb at TBIT in 10-12 minutes. Depending on how fast you walk, getting to T7 from TBIT should take 12-20 minutes.
OZ202 was delayed 40min so now won’t make the UA connection. Have a flight on WN but leaves from T1 — what’s the time for the same scenario but to make to T1? Guessing the Dep level walk is the fastest?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23

OZ202 was delayed 40min so now won’t make the UA connection. Have a flight on WN but leaves from T1 — what’s the time for the same scenario but to make to T1? Guessing the Dep level walk is the fastest?
It takes about the same amount of time to walk from TBIT to T1 as to T7. Yes, definitely walk on the upper deck, the sidewalk is less congested and there are considerably less automotive exhaust fumes. Do not take the Airlines Connection shuttle, it will take longer
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

even with only a 30 minute connection time due to the delay, i'd give myself better than 50-50 odds of making the UA flight by being one of the first off OZ J, nonstop walking through global entry immigrations & then customs, exit south via connections path, elevator up to departures, turn right and walk the curb past T4 & T5 to T6 TSA Pre and onto the T7 gate.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:57 pm

Hi all ,
this is my first post so please excuse me if I am not posting this in the right way.

so my situation is as follows I am taking SV flight JED-LAX which is scheduled to land 11am and have an onward flight to YVR on AC at 13:35 (2:35 connection time) ; my flights are on two separate tickets; I have no Global Entry no Pre Clear. We are a group of 4 travelling together.

when I originally booked the tickets several month ago I found a very good deal on buying two separate tickets and it seemed the connection time was sufficient (it was originally 2:45 connection time but AC rescheduled its flight 10 min earlier post my purchase)

i have been following flight schedule for SV JED-LAX for past 2 weeks and it has consistently arrived between 20-45 mins late (no clue why, although in June on time arrival was doing quiet well) I am now concerned that I am unable to make my connecting flights and if I want to rebook my AC flight to another later flight will cost me $1300 🤯 originally I bought all 4 tickets for $600

my quetsions are
- is the connection time assuming no delays will be enough ?
- will I be able to check through my luggage from JED all the way to YVR
-I understand I will have to collect baggage and clear customs and then recheck ; will I be able to recheck at TBIT if tagged all the way through ?
- it not tagged are there AC agents who can check the bag at TBIT ?

- AC agent told me is to try to change flights on same day if arrival and it will only cost 150/pax but will be subject to availability , although he said If there isn’t any severe weather that cause cancleattions you are pretty much be able to rebook to another flight

so my options are
- pay 1200 bite the bullet 🥺
- gamble and wait till the day of travel and change the flight at midnight so It will count as a same day change
- gamble and do nothing and get on SV flight (hope they check luggage all the way to YVR ) and hope it arrives even if slight delay I could recheck my bags in TBIT post customes and go to T6 and go through security ; and if I wasn’t able to make the flight rebook into another one same day

I will be arriving internationally and connecting to YVR on AC , will I be able to recheck my bag in TBIT with AC ? Or will I have to go to T6 at check in counter ? I assume my original airline is able to check the luggage all the way through (so will be tagged to YVR )

what if it is not tagged ro YVR will I be able to recheck in TBIT with AC ?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 23, 2019 at 2:05 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Are you Saudi? Will you be in western attire? All passengers have been to the US before?
I suspect the major issue is how quickly immigrations and customs agent process your family.

at this point, just fly as ticketed and hope for the best.
i can’t imagine AC having an agent at Bradley recheck, but suspect the UA agent that will for sure be there could tag it.

i’ve gotten plenty of airlines to reconfirm on new flights over less than a 10 minute sched change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.