2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2018 - 2022 LAX Connections and Transfers Thread
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

FAQ:

Does LAX have Automated Passport Control available for tourist visa holders?

Yes.

Does the US have international transfer desks?

No.

How can I obtain a boarding pass at Tom Bradley International Terminal?
  • The first way is the most obvious: check in online via your phone.
  • The second way is to use the automated kiosk. There are several located airside throughout TBIT and in the T4 - TBIT connector.
  • The third way is to show up at the gate or the check-in counters and get a paper boarding pass (this is not suggested for those with time constraints)

Do you have to go through security when going from one terminal to another?

Terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside. There are Delta Air Lines shuttle buses connecting T2, T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal. To go to or from T1, you will need to exit and re-enter security. Please consult this link for more information.

How long will security take at Tom Bradley International Terminal?

Plan on at least 30 minutes.

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2, 4 and 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

2019 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website.

How to enter LAX/Parking Map.

LAX Terminal Maps.

Inter-Terminal Connections.

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots.
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and an above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle and Delta's shuttles between their gates in T2, T3, and TBIT). Airport policy allows you to access any LAX terminal, even if your flight departs from another, with a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from LAX.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.The prior threads on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, 2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2014 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread, 2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread and 2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread contain relevant information, however, to keep them from getting too long they have been archived and the 2018 - 2019 updates are in this thread.

Print Wikipost

2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertFly
<snip>
my questions are
- is the connection time assuming no delays will be enough ?
- will I be able to check through my luggage from JED all the way to YVR
-I understand I will have to collect baggage and clear customs and then recheck ; will I be able to recheck at TBIT if tagged all the way through ?
- it not tagged are there AC agents who can check the bag at TBIT ?
<snip>
Flight delays and long queues through immigration & customs are not uncommon. Just luck on the day what happens
https://awt.cbp.gov/

LAX is not one of the USA airports that does Int to Int luggage transfers. A very few USA airports do Int to Int luggage transfers.
Anyway on separate tickets many airlines will not interline luggage. For example AA will not interline bags from 1 AA flight to a separate AA flight
SV Saudi is Skyteam Alliance. AC is Star Alliance. Ask at JED, but do not like your chances for bags to be tagged with the AC flight

With 2:35hr between separate flights at a big USA airport I would have your credit card at the ready.
Personally I would not book a 2:35 hr International to Inter/domestci transfer time on separate tickets at a USA airport
You are not connecting on the common usage of that term. Just 1 flight ending and another starting at the same airport.
Many people happily spend good money to avoid USA International to International airport transfers.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 12, 2019 at 7:40 pm
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Are you Saudi? Will you be in western attire? All passengers have been to the US before?
I suspect the major issue is how quickly immigrations and customs agent process your family.

at this point, just fly as ticketed and hope for the best.
i can’t imagine AC having an agent at Bradley recheck, but suspect the UA agent that will for sure be there could tag it.

i’ve gotten plenty of airlines to reconfirm on new flights over less than a 10 minute sched change.
yes Saudi , flying with western cloth and have been through LAX several times in the past, last time was able to use the electronic kiosks and was a breeze going through.

i will be travelling with a 3 year old can I use that as an excuse to get ahead of the lines at immigration/ customes ? Would the agents be understanding if I ask to jump the line ?

I think my my biggest concern is really the bag drop cut off of 60minutes ; if SV are able to tag it all the way to YVR I suspect I should be fine (although will be running a round to get things done)

on getting airlines to change flights due to a reschedule change , can I possible play that card now ? The schedule change happened back in Feb and I had bought my tickets in Jan , is there a time limit to claim that they need to accommodate a change ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Flight delays and long queues through immigration & customs are not uncommon. Just luck on the day what happens

LAX is not one of the USA airports that does Int to Int luggage transfers. A very few USA airports do Int to Int luggage transfers.
Anyway on separate tickets many airlines will not interline luggage. For example AA will not interline bags from 1 AA flight to a separate AA flight
SV Saudi is Skyteam Alliance. AC is Star Alliance. Ask at JED, but do not like your chances for bags to be tagged with the AC flight

With 2:35hr between separate flights at a big USA airport I would have your credit card at the ready.
Personally I would not book a 2:35 hr International to Inter/domestci transfer time on separate tickets at a USA airport
You are not connecting on the common usage of that term. Just 1 flight ending and another starting at the same airport.
Many people happily spend good money to avoid USA International to International airport transfers.
thanks for the link and reply , unfortunately that was the best option I had for my trip details although in hindsight I could have booked the AC flight with more time in between

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 13, 2019 at 8:24 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'd recommend going to the Air Canada forum and poking around there regarding schedule changes. Some airlines are more generous than others when it comes to changing/refunding flights due to schedule changes.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DesertFly

my quetsions are
- is the connection time assuming no delays will be enough ?
- will I be able to check through my luggage from JED all the way to YVR
-I understand I will have to collect baggage and clear customs and then recheck ; will I be able to recheck at TBIT if tagged all the way through ?
- it not tagged are there AC agents who can check the bag at TBIT ?

- AC agent told me is to try to change flights on same day if arrival and it will only cost 150/pax but will be subject to availability , although he said If there isn’t any severe weather that cause cancleattions you are pretty much be able to rebook to another flight

so my options are
- pay 1200 bite the bullet 🥺
- gamble and wait till the day of travel and change the flight at midnight so It will count as a same day change
- gamble and do nothing and get on SV flight (hope they check luggage all the way to YVR ) and hope it arrives even if slight delay I could recheck my bags in TBIT post customes and go to T6 and go through security ; and if I wasn’t able to make the flight rebook into another one same day

1. Connection time of 2:35 is probably not enough if you have checked luggage. Int'l to Int'l self-connect is generally a 3-hour affair at LAX involving change of terminals.
2. You can try to ask SV to tag your bags to YVR but that doesn't mean AC will accept them at LAX, especially if the record # is not in their system (likely won't be because of separate ticket and lack of interline).
3. You can drop it off if tagged but doesn't mean it will be accepted.
4. I haven't seen any AC staff at TBIT re-check. Most likely you will need to take your luggage to T6.

I would stick with the exiting plan and hope for the best. AC probably will accommodate you after you cough up the $150 same day change fee... there are enough flights between LAX and YVR that it should work out. However, be prepared to pay for a night of hotel if AC can't fly you out until the next day. Probably still cheaper than changing the ticket now.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:59 am

Hello. I'll be flying UA7945 then NH807 both operated by ANA (LAX-NRT-BKK) I bought it from United.com under 016 stock. Previously, I'll take Delta flight to make a connection in LAX (from Denver) totally 1.50 hrs. It's kind of tight and OLCI would be really helpful. I will have no checked bag. Hopefully, I don't need to go to the check-in counter at TBIT.
- If I'm able to do OLCI, I'd take a Delta shuttle from terminal 2/3 to TBIT directly. Otherwise, do you think I have enough time?

Lastly, in the worst case if I cannot do OLCI, can I get a boarding pass at transfer counter in TBIT? or I have to get it from the check in counter? Thank you so much.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:10 pm

You will have no problem with this connection time wise and you can stay airside the entire time. Check in using the self-service kiosk located throughout TBIT.

And if that doesn't work, go to the gate and check in. It should be staffed by the time you get there.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:40 pm

Hi everyone, I'm landing at Terminal B from a Qantas flight at 6.20am on an Australian passport. I am considering booking a flight to Calgary, Canada via Air Canada that departs at 10:30am. Is 4 hrs enough time for the international to international flight connection?

Last edited by jam261; Jul 16, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

4 hours should be fine. More than enough time.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am flying home from SIN through LAX to SEA next month.

I will be traveling with just carry-on luggage. I know there are tunnels connecting TBIT to Terminal 6 where my connection is, so in theory I should be able to stay airside.

My question is, if I pick up a bottle of liquor at the SIN duty free, will I be able to carry it through customs at TBIT to T6 if I use the tunnels, or do I have to go through security check again and lose liquids?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I am flying home from SIN through LAX to SEA next month. I will be traveling with just carry-on luggage. I know there are tunnels connecting TBIT to Terminal 6 where my connection is, so in theory I should be able to stay airside. My question is, if I pick up a bottle of liquor at the SIN duty free, will I be able to carry it through customs at TBIT to T6 if I use the tunnels, or do I have to go through security check again and lose liquids?
You cannot possibly stay airside after USCBP inspection. All pax are dumped landside. You'll have to go through TSA somewhere (TBIT arr, TBIT dep, T5 or T6). There are TSA provisions for duty free liquid sealed in approved bags with receipt dated less than a certain number of hours, but I don't have the exact details.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:50 pm

all international arrival passengers at LAX must enter the United States

Last edited by Colin; Jul 23, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nearlysober
My question is, if I pick up a bottle of liquor at the SIN duty free, will I be able to carry it through customs at TBIT to T6 if I use the tunnels, or do I have to go through security check again and lose liquids?
Make sure that the duty-free store places your bottle of liquor in a secure, tamper–evident bag.

Please refer to the following thread in the Travel Safety/Security forum:
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the advice & tips. Generally when coming home from abroad I always travel direct, so I've never had to make a connection like this before.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
1. Connection time of 2:35 is probably not enough if you have checked luggage. Int'l to Int'l self-connect is generally a 3-hour affair at LAX involving change of terminals.
2. You can try to ask SV to tag your bags to YVR but that doesn't mean AC will accept them at LAX, especially if the record # is not in their system (likely won't be because of separate ticket and lack of interline).
3. You can drop it off if tagged but doesn't mean it will be accepted.
4. I haven't seen any AC staff at TBIT re-check. Most likely you will need to take your luggage to T6.

I would stick with the exiting plan and hope for the best. AC probably will accommodate you after you cough up the $150 same day change fee... there are enough flights between LAX and YVR that it should work out. However, be prepared to pay for a night of hotel if AC can't fly you out until the next day. Probably still cheaper than changing the ticket now.
so stuck to my original flights
SV flight delayed 25 minutes so was left with 2 hours to disemabrk / clear immigration / collect bags / clear customs / re-check my bags in TBIT and was able to make it to the AC check in counter with 10 mins to spare before cutoff (so all of the above took me 50 mins)

Note I had SV tag my baggage all the way to YVR after I showed them my second ticket , hence was able to drop off bags at TBIT right after clearing customs without a boarding pass in hand
also as soon as I exited the plane I spoke to ground stuff and they gave me an orange slip “express connection” which practically let me use the crew line in immigration / customs
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:28 am

Congrats... you did everything right and made your connection ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.