Mobile Passport Control App

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Mobile Passport Control requires passport with a expiration date of 6 months or more.

Airports that currently have Mobile Passport Control (MPC):

Atlanta - ATL
Baltimore - BWI
Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Denver - DEN
Ft. Lauderdale - FLL
Houston - IAH & HOU
Los Angeles - LAX
Miami - MIA
Minneapolis - MSP
New York - JFK
Newark - EWR
Orlando - MCO
Philadelphia - PHL
Phoenix, AZ PHX
Raleigh-Durham - RDU
Sacramento - SMF
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco- SFO
San Jose - SJC
Seattle - SEA
Tampa - TPA
Washington - IAD [resumed September 2019]
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 12, 14, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Mobile Passport Control App

CBP has backed an app for mobile devices that may help speed up things to clear US passport control. Initially pilot is at ATL, but I've already got the app even as ATL is an airport I rarely use as a US POE.

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national...-app-available

From the announcement press release:

Mobile Passport Control (MPC) will allow eligible travelers to submit their passport information and customs declaration form via a smartphone or tablet prior to CBP inspection. This first-of-its-kind app was developed by Airside Mobile and Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) in partnership with CBP as part of a pilot program at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. IPhone and iPad users can download the app for free from Apple’s App Store.
ATL is the pilot.

To find the app in the Apple App Store, search for Airside or Airside Mobile. That should help get you to Mobile Passport - Officially authorized app for download.

So now I can use Global Entry kiosks, Automated Passport Control kiosks, traditional staffed station processing, or "Mobile Passport Control". It's nice to see CBP jumping in on the experimentation game if only to speed things up.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 19 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:18 am
Original Poster

This thing only works for US and some Canadian passport holders.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 19 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 12, 14, 11:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Easy-peasy and thank you for this ^ (and now hoping the pilot at ATL goes well and it expands to other airports)
Old Aug 12, 14, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

It's a very easy app to use. It involves taking your picture and putting in your passport biodata page details and a few other steps for actual use. Some of the additional steps have to be timed properly -- as in not more than say X hours before arrival or flight, and as in not doing the finalization process until on the ground using wifi network and doing so no more than two hours prior to presenting the receipt or something like that. [I don't have all the details on this -- as I haven't been into ATL yet using this app -- and I haven't had it looked at in extensive detail yet. I am saying I need check this out more or you need to do your own due diligence on it.]

This does have me wondering if/when this will mark the formal end of the no-phone/camera use policy/practices at CBP clearance facilities where this app is a means to facilitate CBP clearance of passengers.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 19 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 12, 14, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Any word on when the app will be available for Android?
Old Aug 12, 14, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by rwmiller56 View Post
Any word on when the app will be available for Android?
They likely chose one airport and one platform for the pilot. If successful and they move forward with it, they'll probably expand it to Android.

Or maybe they'll piss off a lot of people and make it an iOS exclusive

Edit:

If you read the FAQ on their website, it mentions this:

Who can use the Mobile Passport App?
US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App. You must have an Apple iPhone or other iOS device that can connect to the internet. A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
Old Aug 12, 14, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Tip: I tried searching for "Mobile Passport Control" and "MPC" at the App Store without it finding anything. So I searched for "Airside Mobile" and it found it.
Old Aug 12, 14, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
They likely chose one airport and one platform for the pilot. If successful and they move forward with it, they'll probably expand it to Android.

Or maybe they'll piss off a lot of people and make it an iOS exclusive

Edit:

If you read the FAQ on their website, it mentions this:

Who can use the Mobile Passport App?
US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App. You must have an Apple iPhone or other iOS device that can connect to the internet. A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
Thanks. I didn't have the patience to go to the FAQ :-)
Old Aug 12, 14, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rwmiller56 View Post
Thanks. I didn't have the patience to go to the FAQ :-)
I didn't either at first, but then curiosity got the best of me
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:33 pm

Interesting, especially because of no cell phones in the inspection area rule.
Old Aug 12, 14, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
So now I can use Global Entry kiosks,
Since there is currently no way to add your Global Entry number into the form, you still need to carry your card. At least that is how I interpret it.
Old Aug 12, 14, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
Since there is currently no way to add your Global Entry number into the form, you still need to carry your card. At least that is how I interpret it.
wasn't aware there was a Global Entry card. I applied for SENTRI and Global Entry simultaneously and I was just given a CBP sticker for my passport. There was a card for SENTRI but that is no good for international flights.

Either way, assuming most don't have this card, you would still have to carry your passport on an international flight regardless so it wouldn't be much different other than not having to go through the kiosks, saving a little bit of time.
Old Aug 12, 14, 11:48 pm

Programs: Currently is: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA/Marriott/IHG Plat, Hilton Gold # Used to be: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
The REAL question is when will a Windows Phone app come out
Old Aug 13, 14, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
Just because someone has GE status and may use the GE kiosks doesn't mean they must always use the GE process where it is available; instead of using the GE kiosks, the other CBP-approved alternatives are allowed too.

To use this app for arrival into the US at ATL, a US citizen using a US passport need not be a Global Entry member and need not have the GE card. [While most GE applicants who have had valid GE membership seem to have been issued GE cards, not all have been issued such cards -- preciously GE stickers were provided for passport cover placement.]

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 19 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 13, 14, 2:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
wasn't aware there was a Global Entry card. I applied for SENTRI and Global Entry simultaneously and I was just given a CBP sticker for my passport. There was a card for SENTRI but that is no good for international flights.

Either way, assuming most don't have this card, you would still have to carry your passport on an international flight regardless so it wouldn't be much different other than not having to go through the kiosks, saving a little bit of time.
If you applied early for GE, cards weren't available, although you can go back to GEOS or whateverr it's called and request a GE card for your account. I think the fee is about $10. The card is mailed to you and uses the photo taken at your GE interview. It's an alternative government issued photo ID but cannot be used as a substitute for your passport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: