FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 -2022 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:03 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by solutionlx
Hi Chewy5,

I have a similar circumstance as you and I am really appreciated if you could provide the answers to your questions.

- Will I make it?
- Would the quickest way to get from TBIT to T7 be fast walking?
- Is it right that I don't have the option to go through the tunnel anyway as my bags won't be checked through?
- Will I be only able to get my UA boarding pass at T7 when I check in my bags?

Thank you!
Hi @solutionlx, welcome to flyerTalk.

Because you did not quote @Chewy5's post or tagged him, I had to search in order to find what you were referring to.

That post is over a year old and Chewy5 has not been on FlyerTalk since Nov 17, 17.
Originally Posted by Chewy5
Hi - I'm new to this forum so I hope I didn't press a wrong button and replied someone instead.

I have a trip that's making me nervous. I am a Canadian Citizen. My upcoming trip will happen in June 7 and I will arrive from HKG to LAX at 7:40am on Cathay business class. My connecting will be with UA to YVR at 10:07; on separate tickets. I will have 1 check in bag. I don't have statuses with airlines.

I know I'll have to go through Immigration, bag retrieval and security. As I am Canadian, I should be able to get through APC. As I took biz class, I am hopeful my bag will come out quick. Then I know I'll have to get myself to T7 from TBIT. My questions are:

- Will I make it?
- Would the quickest way to get from TBIT to T7 be fast walking?
- Is it right that I don't have the option to go through the tunnel anyway as my bags won't be checked through?
- Will I be only able to get my UA boarding pass at T7 when I check in my bags?

I really appreciate your wise advice. If there's chance I won't make it, would you suggest I pre-purchase a backup ticket from LAX to YVR at a later time instead of purchasing one in the event I don't make the transit? My UA 10:07 flight ticket is non-refundable.

Thank you so much
@bzcat was right on point with his response.
Originally Posted by bzcat
Will you make it? Maybe... 2 hours is pretty tight connection. You should have at least 2:30 to be safe. Your luggage should come out fast because you are flying business class but there is no guarantee. If there is someone from CX handing out transit pass as you exit the plane, take it so you can use the transit lane for immigration (pretty sure Canadians have to use the visitors' line otherwise).

Quickest way is walk. It should take you about 15 minutes. The shuttle will take just a long but you may have to wait a bit for it to show up. Also traffic will be bad at LAX around 8:30 to 9 AM. Walking eliminates the uncertainty about waiting for the bus and getting stuck in traffic around T5/T6 area.

Since you are on two separate ticket and won't have bags check thru, you need to take it with you. This does in fact preclude you from using the TBIT TSA station and walking to T7 behind security. But for what it is worth, it is probably faster to walk outside anyway because you are going in a straight line, not a zig zag through T4, T5, and T6 tunnels.

You can check in online with UA so boarding pass is not an issue. But you still have to get your passport scanned at the kiosk and check your luggage when you get to T7. In fact, I highly recommend you check in online with UA from your phone as soon as you land while your CX flight is still making its way to the gate. There is no phone reception in TBIT immigration or custom. Checking in with UA at least let them know you intend to board your flight so they can decide to wait for you. If you don't check in, they have no reason to hold your seat pass a certain point of the boarding process.
Best of luck with your connection.

TWA884
Los Angeles Moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 5, 2018 at 5:08 pm Reason: Add post quotes