Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you are flying from China directly to Canada without a stop in Japan, not even a connection in Japan. Then you are eligible for the transit without visa. I have used it from Japan (flew out via Hong Kong), my check in agent ended up coming to the lounge twice to ask follow up questions, but he was quite green. Normally they will know, but don't come to the airport last minute. Also bring a print of your e ticket and hotel reservations for the period you are in China. JAL will want to see them, and so will your immigration officer.

Row 7 is great, together with row 1 best legroom in the house. Unless you get a skysuite plane, then it is all same same.

Go to he main building Sakura Lounge or setellite building Sakura Lounge, purely based on the location of your gate. No real difference in amenities.

10kg is the total weight limit. As long as you are not hugely over on size or count, they are unlikely to weigh your carry on.
Thank you CPH! Yep, flying direct and non-stop from Shanghai to Toronto after Japan. I will make sure I have my print outs!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Priority Tags

This is probably a stupid question, but how does JAL handle checked baggage from connecting flights? Looking at several domestic US flight options that connect to JAL F or C, but the bags won't be priority tagged at the origin airport. Will JAL know to handle them with the other priority tagged bags, or will they end up at NRT/HND amongst the rest? Almost all of the layovers are 3+ hours long and/or require terminal changes, so short checking (probably) won't be a problem.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tennen
This is probably a stupid question, but how does JAL handle checked baggage from connecting flights? Looking at several domestic US flight options that connect to JAL F or C, but the bags won't be priority tagged at the origin airport. Will JAL know to handle them with the other priority tagged bags, or will they end up at NRT/HND amongst the rest? Almost all of the layovers are 3+ hours long and/or require terminal changes, so short checking (probably) won't be a problem.
They will add the proper priority tags
Tennen likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:19 pm

My mom is flyinng SFO-HND-TSA with an overnight layover in HND. The layover is ~14 hours (from 18:45 to 08:35), and her plan was to just shop around the airport and stay in the in-terminal hotel. Is she going to be able to through-check her luggage, or will she have to pick it up that evening and re-check it in the morning?

I've also noticed that JL has a layover service thing; is this something we'd be able to ask them about or would it not apply if it's an award ticket booked through AA (but on JL flight codes)?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
My mom is flyinng SFO-HND-TSA with an overnight layover in HND. The layover is ~14 hours (from 18:45 to 08:35), and her plan was to just shop around the airport and stay in the in-terminal hotel. Is she going to be able to through-check her luggage, or will she have to pick it up that evening and re-check it in the morning?

I've also noticed that JL has a layover service thing; is this something we'd be able to ask them about or would it not apply if it's an award ticket booked through AA (but on JL flight codes)?
JAL will check the luggage through.

I don't think any layover service will apply, but as a resident in Japan I have never studied them that closely, others may chip in with more info.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:10 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
For JAL routes with PE, is the upgrade to J (using miles) the same cost as from Y?

i.e. Y -> J = 30,000 Miles, PE -> J also 30,000 Miles

So there is no point buying PE if I intend to upgrade it to J using miles, unless PE is cheaper than upgradeable Y fare?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy
For JAL routes with PE, is the upgrade to J (using miles) the same cost as from Y?

So there is no point buying PE if I intend to upgrade it to J using miles, unless PE is cheaper than upgradeable Y fare?
Same cost from Y and PY.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy

If your upgrade doesn't clear, you are guaranteed to sit in the PY cabin
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:54 pm

Hi - For airports with morning and evening departure banks where the check-in counter closes in the middle of the day (specifically, BKK), will JL accept a check-in bag in the morning even if the flight is not departing until the evening?

Doing a self-connect (separate airlines/tickets) and would like to go around Bangkok free of my checked bag.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Notice of Change in Reservation

I am scheduled to fly PDX-SFO-HND. I received an email yesterday saying the SFO-HND leg is now departing 6 hours earlier which means my PDX flight must now be changed. I tried to check my reservation online but then received an error message below. There is no page to either accpet or deny, nor can I even view my booking details. I call the US offices and the automated message says they will not deal with callers with travel plans later than 14 days (my flight is in 2 months).

What are my options now other than to wait T-14 days to callback?

EDIT: After my 3rd attempt at being on hold for at least 30 min, I finally got ahold of a rep who was able to help. They had held a couple of spots on new flights while they waited for me to contact them and confirm that the new flights would work for me. Though, what would've happened had I not contacted them?? Glad I won't be finding out

Last edited by o2fan; Jan 2, 2020 at 6:20 pm Reason: updated information
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:16 pm
mhy

Are JAL flight crew allowed to accept gifts? I generally buy a box of chocolate for the crew when I fly during the holidays.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by mhy
Are JAL flight crew allowed to accept gifts? I generally buy a box of chocolate for the crew when I fly during the holidays.
I does it all the time while hand over my log book for them to write with "Tsumaranai Mono Desu ga" thorwn in.

I usually do it low profile out of sight (hand over in galley) from other paxs (who make make big fuss and complain):
  • I usually prefer hand over to Chief and Asst Chief (The one with lighter shade blue scarf) who share it with the crew (I just ask for both of them and hand em personally in galley).
  • It be nice if your box of chocolate (or other gifts) have individual packing within it which they can share among themselves.
  • Preferably whatever you gave is local specialty that cant be found/super expensive in Japan (Eg Locally made tea leaf in Malaysia).
Just bear in mind you don't get any special super duper out of the world service in return for this (YMMV). For mine, whole crew in set of three actually come to my seat personally thank me for the gifts. Embarrassing for sure as other pax around you will think wat teh heck is happening . Another round is the Asst Chief just hand me a hand written note on recommended place for good food from her hometown. Once is some J class 787 soft toy Basically nothing much to shout about.

*If you speak Japanese I think it will 9999% better* (No I only speak broken Nihongo)

To be honest I not sure what happened to the gifts once you handover to them (even they assure you they share around). Some airline crew apparently junked the gift and some more than happy to receive it (would love to know jal policy)

At least you get to see crew happy faces when you hand over gift to them
mhy likes this.

Last edited by minizian; Dec 25, 2019 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:49 pm
mhy

Originally Posted by minizian
I does it all the time while hand over my log book for them to write with "Tsumaranai Mono Desu ga" thorwn in.

I usually do it low profile out of sight (hand over in galley) from other paxs (who make make big fuss and complain):
  • I usually prefer hand over to Chief and Asst Chief (The one with lighter shade blue scarf) who share it with the crew (I just ask for both of them and hand em personally in galley).
  • It be nice if your box of chocolate (or other gifts) have individual packing within it which they can share among themselves.
  • Preferably whatever you gave is local specialty that cant be found/super expensive in Japan (Eg Locally made tea leaf in Malaysia).
Just bear in mind you don't get any special super duper out of the world service in return for this (YMMV). For mine, whole crew in set of three actually come to my seat personally thank me for the gifts. Embarrassing for sure as other pax around you will think wat teh heck is happening . Another round is the Asst Chief just hand me a hand written note on recommended place for good food from her hometown. Once is some J class 787 soft toy Basically nothing much to shout about.

*If you speak Japanese I think it will 9999% better* (No I only speak broken Nihongo)

To be honest I not sure what happened to the gifts once you handover to them (even they assure you they share around). Some airline crew apparently junked the gift and some more than happy to receive it (would love to know jal policy)

At least you get to see crew happy faces when you hand over gift to them
Thanks for the detailed answer. I am & speak Japanese, and I will be in F, so not trying to “bribe” my way to any better service

So I guess they may or may not take it. I think I’ll give it a go.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by mhy
Thanks for the detailed answer. I am & speak Japanese, and I will be in F, so not trying to “bribe” my way to any better service

Maybe they offer you jumpseat beside ca or cockpit during landing/takeoff since you are already in F

Originally Posted by mhy
So I guess they may or may not take it. I think I’ll give it a go.
Yes they surely will take it when you hand over them. Just I am not sure what happen behind the scene after that
mhy likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:05 pm

Several years ago I created a mini Wi-Fi hotspot from a Raspberry Pi Zero W that serves up movies over Samba from a huge microSD. It's excellent for bored kids on road trips (they connect their tablets to it and play the movies with VLC), so I was thinking about bringing it along for our international flights to/from Japan. I have no doubts about its safety (above 10,000 ft, of course), because it's just another Wi-Fi signal, and all Wi-Fi devices both send and receive. But I'm starting to wonder whether this would be allowed on JAL: I can't expect companies to be tech savvy, and they might not like that I'm not paying for their Wi-Fi. If there's any doubt, I'll just buy a microSD for each phone. Just hoping I can avoid the extra cost! Anyone done something like this?

EDIT: Just decided to buy the cards, I don't want to risk it and I'll be able to use them later. It also means one less thing to carry around or lose, so that's a positive.

Last edited by miniika; Dec 26, 2019 at 3:16 pm Reason: No longer relevant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.