Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:05 pm

I just created a JMB account in order to book a PG (Bangkok Airways) award with some JAL miles. The back story isn't important; this was just the easiest way for me to book the ticket with the miles I had on hand (they were all transfer partners with JAL). However, in waiting for it to ticket, I read the fine print on the JAL website stating that: "Mileage may not be redeemed for JMB awards for a maximum of 60 days following enrollment in JMB."

All right, so two questions:
1) That goes for partner awards too, I assume? The status has been in "pending payment for 2 days now, so I assume that's why it's not going through.
2) The award is for this coming December, so I can wait the 60 days, assuming that the system will accept the booking. Will the system just hold it and ticket it in 60 days? Can someone else snipe the award while mine is waiting to ticket? Anything else I can do other than just wait and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:11 pm

Leaving TPE in a few hours and wanted to ask, how does the jal first class lounge at tpe stack vs the Cathay one? Is Cathay that much better?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Leaving TPE in a few hours and wanted to ask, how does the jal first class lounge at tpe stack vs the Cathay one? Is Cathay that much better?
There is no JAL first class lounge, there is business class lounge. The JAL lounge is in T2 and the Cathay is in T1, so they are quite far apart. But the Cathay lounge is the nicer one.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dfw88
I just created a JMB account in order to book a PG (Bangkok Airways) award with some JAL miles. The back story isn't important; this was just the easiest way for me to book the ticket with the miles I had on hand (they were all transfer partners with JAL). However, in waiting for it to ticket, I read the fine print on the JAL website stating that: "Mileage may not be redeemed for JMB awards for a maximum of 60 days following enrollment in JMB."

All right, so two questions:
1) That goes for partner awards too, I assume? The status has been in "pending payment for 2 days now, so I assume that's why it's not going through.
2) The award is for this coming December, so I can wait the 60 days, assuming that the system will accept the booking. Will the system just hold it and ticket it in 60 days? Can someone else snipe the award while mine is waiting to ticket? Anything else I can do other than just wait and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I never noticed that part of the fine print, so i will wait for someone else to weigh in on that.

But JAL will certainly not keep your award ticket pending for 60 days. If that is the truly the time that has to pass, the booking will be cancelled and the seat returned to inventory.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no JAL first class lounge, there is business class lounge. The JAL lounge is in T2 and the Cathay is in T1, so they are quite far apart. But the Cathay lounge is the nicer one.
I decided to try both lounges, the Cathay lounge is only about a 15 minute walk at most from the D gates. Cathay is for sure much nicer in terms of ambiance and the cook to order noodle bar. Well worth the trek.

The JAL lounge is just ok, the nice thing is that it has some new massage chairs and a well stocked warm buffet.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I decided to try both lounges, the Cathay lounge is only about a 15 minute walk at most from the D gates. Cathay is for sure much nicer in terms of ambiance and the cook to order noodle bar. Well worth the trek.

The JAL lounge is just ok, the nice thing is that it has some new massage chairs and a well stocked warm buffet.
15 minutes one way, 15 minutes another. Can quickly kill your connection time... But actually thought it would take more time. Though I have not actually done the trek.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I never noticed that part of the fine print, so i will wait for someone else to weigh in on that.

But JAL will certainly not keep your award ticket pending for 60 days. If that is the truly the time that has to pass, the booking will be cancelled and the seat returned to inventory.
Turns out that JAL answered my own question about 15 minutes after I posted here. They sent me an email telling me that my booking had been cancelled and telling me to try again in 60 days. That's what I get for not reading the fine print. Finger's crossed (but not optimistic) that the award is still there by then.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Free agent
Hi all,
I'm getting close to booking some award travel to Tokyo for my honeymoon (Booking is for Feb 2021) and I had a quick question:

We are considering buying a few miles (20k needed) to top up in order to try to book F instead of J for one of our flights (We are flying JFK-HND direct if possible but maybe JFK-DFW/LAX-TYO). Which direction would be "better" to have the F leg in? ex-TYO?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Hi all,
I'm getting close to booking some award travel to Tokyo for my honeymoon (Booking is for Feb 2021) and I had a quick question:

We are considering buying a few miles (20k needed) to top up in order to try to book F instead of J for one of our flights (We are flying JFK-HND direct if possible but maybe JFK-DFW/LAX-TYO). Which direction would be "better" to have the F leg in? ex-TYO?
JFK-HND is a little bit longer (I think it's blocked at an hour and change more) so more time in F but the airport experience departing HND-JFK is much better, and the inflight menu slightly better. If it were me going on a honeymoon, I'd take F on the outbound though.

Connecting flights would be a bit different in weighting. Again my personal preference, but unless you're both avgeeks, I'd take the nonstop in J versus connections for F. And I'd think hard before taking F to HND-SFO/LAX with onward connections rather than J non stop. The eastbound flights to those cities are noticeably short.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
JFK-HND is a little bit longer (I think it's blocked at an hour and change more) so more time in F but the airport experience departing HND-JFK is much better, and the inflight menu slightly better. If it were me going on a honeymoon, I'd take F on the outbound though.

Connecting flights would be a bit different in weighting. Again my personal preference, but unless you're both avgeeks, I'd take the nonstop in J versus connections for F. And I'd think hard before taking F to HND-SFO/LAX with onward connections rather than J non stop. The eastbound flights to those cities are noticeably short.
I'm very likely going to take whatever is available for the nonstop. J more likely, given the booking window changes from JAL and then I'll look to upgrade both much closer in. My SO is decidedly not an avgeek so I've promised her that we'll be flying direct or as close to it as we can get.

I'm really hoping we can get tickets for the daytime departure because we were hoping to stay at the TWA hotel the night before our departure. The trip will be about 6 months after our actual wedding so I'm more concerned with whatever the better actual F experience would be between ex-Japan or ex-US. Seems like ex-Japan is the winner.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:35 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I'm very likely going to take whatever is available for the nonstop. J more likely, given the booking window changes from JAL and then I'll look to upgrade both much closer in. My SO is decidedly not an avgeek so I've promised her that we'll be flying direct or as close to it as we can get.

I'm really hoping we can get tickets for the daytime departure because we were hoping to stay at the TWA hotel the night before our departure. The trip will be about 6 months after our actual wedding so I'm more concerned with whatever the better actual F experience would be between ex-Japan or ex-US. Seems like ex-Japan is the winner.
This is just one data point but I had excellent service on my JFK - NRT day flight recently and the food was very good also. The only downside was the lounge at JFK which is meh. The daytime departure would definitely be better to get the full experience.

Also regarding the TWA Hotel, don't get your hopes too high. It's amazing as an Av Geek and a piece of history for sure but the hotel quality is below average for the price. It's worth it from a geeking out / architecture perspective, but not a full service hotel.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
Also regarding the TWA Hotel, don't get your hopes too high. It's amazing as an Av Geek and a piece of history for sure but the hotel quality is below average for the price. It's worth it from a geeking out / architecture perspective, but not a full service hotel.
It's more just to increase our relaxation, we live about a 50 minute subway ride away but would like to have a totally stress-free day so starting at Terminal 5 would make that about as easy as it can be. Just a fun honeymoon splurge.
mhy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
2 questions

1. Booked JAL flight this past Saturday (1/25) using AA miles. How long does it take to get a confirmed ticket? Status shows "On Request".

2. Does JAL offer car service to the airport? Booked Business Class ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cajunguy
2 questions

1. Booked JAL flight this past Saturday (1/25) using AA miles. How long does it take to get a confirmed ticket? Status shows "On Request".

2. Does JAL offer car service to the airport? Booked Business Class ticket.
You should ask AA when they will issue the ticket.

No car service for awards. There is a limited car service for full fare tickets bought in Japan.
cajunguy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by cajunguy
As explained above, this is a AAdvantage matter and not JAL. If not ticketed by T-24 (24hrs to departure), or around a week after reservation (whichever comes first), the unpaid booking will be cancelled by JAL.
search or ask in the AA flyertalk forum how to push AA to ticket award itineraries.
cajunguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.