Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I will add my vote to the people saying the TWA hotel in that thread.

I have not tried with AA, but often when lounges closes overnight you'd have to argue pretty strongly to get lounge access the day before on an originating ticket. So I'd have my doubts that you'd get in to the AA lounges when arriving. The one closing the latest is any way at 1am, so it is just about an hour you'll get before you will be sent to an airport bench until they reopen at 4:15am should you manage to get in.

I assume you do not have luggage to check, as that would force you to go landside. And once land side, would TSA let you in again, with a ticket for the following day. While the terminal seemingly does not shut down, the TSA check points do shut down overnight while there are no flights.
Thanks, I'm not planning on accessing flagship first the day before just the day of. Has anyone with a us passport been able to check-in online and get a boarding pass?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kijhkijh
Thanks for helping to check! It was showing up as JL5 on GF so wasn't really sure about the extra 400FOP, but guess it makes sense they wouldn't give it. For AA it also seems they would give the same 105% bonus miles (mile-up bonus) for JGC sapphire holders?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/fly...us.html#mileup

I think it costed around USD1,300 more to book this on JL instead of AA, so wanted to see if I'd be missing out on loads of miles/FOPs.

Thanks again! ☺
You are missing out on thousands of 5* miles and JAL Group FOPs

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 20, 2020 at 8:00 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:04 pm

Sorry just posing the question again as the answers I got weren't clear.

Has any US citizen originating from the US and traveling to NRT been able to check-in on line on JAL and have their eboarding pass sent to them?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thanks, I'm not planning on accessing flagship first the day before just the day of. Has anyone with a us passport been able to check-in online and get a boarding pass?
Yes, I have from both SFO/JFK --> TYOs and vice versa. I've had it emailed and added to my mobile boarding pass on my iPhone. However, I've been a member of MB for some time and have flown enough with them where I'm sure they have a pretty thick file on me. The only reason where I could speculate it may require a check in with GA is if it's your first time, but still may work. Just make certain your information is correct with all documentation entered fully.

Not sure if they kick people out now, but I've flown into T8 before very late and just stayed airside. Several times, I didn't even bother (too lazy) checking into my JL flight and just headed into the AA Flagship showed them my AA arriving flight and my JL connecting flight's itinerary and asked if they'd let me in before I check in at T1 later in the morning. It wasn't an issue when I've done it. If they had said no, I'd just use OLCI and show them for entry.

I've entered the AA Flagship the night before until I had to leave at around 2 am (?) and just reenter at around 4 am when they open.

PS - Forgot to mention, even with emailed BP & mobile pass, JL will still require a document check either at the T1 counter or with the GA before you board.

Last edited by Visconti; Jan 20, 2020 at 3:26 pm Reason: PS...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for helping to check! It was showing up as JL5 on GF so wasn't really sure about the extra 400FOP, but guess it makes sense they wouldn't give it. For AA it also seems they would give the same 105% bonus miles (mile-up bonus) for JGC sapphire holders?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/fly...us.html#mileup

I think it costed around USD1,300 more to book this on JL instead of AA, so wanted to see if I'd be missing out on loads of miles/FOPs.

Thanks again! ☺
If you are only looking to maximize your mileage. I would suggest flying NRT/HND-LAX-JFK-EZE (you'll still take the same flight down to EZE from JFK)
NRT/HND-LAX on JL metal
LAX-JFK on AA metal with JL code
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Cathay, JGC
Originally Posted by fumitani
If you are only looking to maximize your mileage. I would suggest flying NRT/HND-LAX-JFK-EZE (you'll still take the same flight down to EZE from JFK)
NRT/HND-LAX on JL metal
LAX-JFK on AA metal with JL code
Thanks for the suggestion. I would really like to minimise the number of layovers/AA metal flights as much as possible, so was looking at the JFK-EZE option. Also are the SS seats same for TYO-JFK and TYO-LAX routes?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the suggestion. I would really like to minimise the number of layovers/AA metal flights as much as possible, so was looking at the JFK-EZE option. Also are the SS seats same for TYO-JFK and TYO-LAX routes?
If flying before March 30.

NRT-LAX & HND/NRT-JFK 77W same aircraft

If flying after March 30 (when the new Haneda slots open up) and all 77W gets transferred to HND

HND-LAX & HND-JFK 77W same aircraft
NRT-LAX will change to 788 (SS8) aircraft

you will need to fly LAX-JFK on 32B AA 3 cabin aircraft
kijhkijh likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:10 am

Am flying in F. Prob won't make a difference to the answer.
will jl allow me to either gatecheck a stroller or count as my baggage allowance if I am traveling alone? (No kid)
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Am flying in F. Prob won't make a difference to the answer.
will jl allow me to either gatecheck a stroller or count as my baggage allowance if I am traveling alone? (No kid)
If it is capable of being checked in, i.e. sturdy enough to go in to the hold they will be more than happy to check it as one of your pieces. Bringing it and gate checking it, I don't know. You'd probably get a few questions at security and the gate, but I could see this going either way. being allow, or failing. Probably more likely to be blocked already at security if you start in Japan.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:56 am

Starting from SFO will need to recheck-in in TYO. Will this be an issue in TYO? I can't have it stuck there.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Starting from SFO will need to recheck-in in TYO. Will this be an issue in TYO? I can't have it stuck there.
what’s your question? And what exactly is/are your itinerary/itineraries?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:44 pm

Can I check or gate check a stroller without a kid w me
Sfo-hnd (f)
Will then fly out a separate ticket on KE C Nrt-icn
I won't be checking anything but the stroller.

Had to change plans due to the lovely virus in China
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Can I check or gate check a stroller without a kid w me
Sfo-hnd (f)
Will then fly out a separate ticket on KE C Nrt-icn
I won't be checking anything but the stroller.

Had to change plans due to the lovely virus in China
You need to talk to JAL. But I don't see how you can get pass security with an oversized carry on unless you have a valid reason to bring a stroller with you airside, which CPH-Flyer has already warned you about when he responded to your previous post on the same topic.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:50 pm

But having it as a checked baggage wont be an issue?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

But having it as a checked baggage wont be an issue?
it’s your checked luggage. If it’s oversized or over your limit, you pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.