Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by seigex
You were 150% correct... Especially being OW Emerald, I made it through check-in and security (using the JAL elite security room) with 5 minutes. I took the Asakasa Rapid Express line from Asakasa-bashi station at 4:50 and got in at 5:56... If I pushed it I could have made it on the 6:30 flight, but instead I had a little leeway and I get an hour in the Sakura Diamond Premiere lounge. Not bad!
Yup ... once again, flying in Japan is an incredibly pleasant experience. The rural airports are even more comical. I had them call me on my mobile when I was running a little bit late (I was walking around taking pictures), so the checkin desk just called to make sure I’m not going to be late cause there was only one flight per day
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:25 am

This may have been answered plenty of times so I apologize.

I booked a direct JAL flight through AAs website. Am I able to use online check in for the JAL flight? Or do I have to check in at the airport?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by kdegenaro
This may have been answered plenty of times so I apologize.

I booked a direct JAL flight through AAs website. Am I able to use online check in for the JAL flight? Or do I have to check in at the airport?
You can refer to this thread.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
You can refer to this thread
Thank you for referring me to that thread. I have already picked seats and have my PNR for my JAL flight. Perhaps I missed it in the thread but my question was referring to online check-in 24 hours prior to the flight on JALs website. I feel like Ive seen conflicting answer, some people saying they can check-in others that cannot.

Nevermind, I figured it out! Thank you.

Last edited by kdegenaro; Jan 6, 2020 at 11:39 am Reason: Found my answer.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:21 pm

Traveling to TPE on JAL originating in JFK in business class. I have a question that i hope you can answer. I have a severe shellfish allergy (meaning lobster, crab, prawn/shrimp).

Should I book a special meal or will getting the western meal be ok? Normally there's a meat or fish option on other airlines but given that this is JAL perhaps the meals skew more to seafood and therefore shellfish.

Would appreciate your advice. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Traveling to TPE on JAL originating in JFK in business class. I have a question that i hope you can answer. I have a severe shellfish allergy (meaning lobster, crab, prawn/shrimp).

Should I book a special meal or will getting the western meal be ok? Normally there's a meat or fish option on other airlines but given that this is JAL perhaps the meals skew more to seafood and therefore shellfish.

You should order a special meal. There is often components of seafood in all of JAL's menus. Maybe not so much on the JFK to Japan leg, but Japan to Taipei leg will very likely have a western meal with some Japanese influences.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Welcome to FlyerTalk kdegenaro! Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

Originally Posted by ZBigFam

Have you had a chance to review the menus yet?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...ness/meal/#G01

It looks like you'd be able to do the Western meal (except for the sea bass with lobster sauce) or much of the Japanese meal from JFK. However, with a severe allergy, might weigh whether an inadvertent contamination or allergen is in food (same as other airlines or in restaurants). Special meals here:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi.../special/menu/
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Welcome to FlyerTalk kdegenaro! Glad you were able to get it sorted out!

Have you had a chance to review the menus yet?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...ness/meal/#G01

It looks like you'd be able to do the Western meal (except for the sea bass with lobster sauce) or much of the Japanese meal from JFK. However, with a severe allergy, might weigh whether an inadvertent contamination or allergen is in food (same as other airlines or in restaurants). Special meals here:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi.../special/menu/
There is also crab in the western starter.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:24 pm

Thanks both of you for the advice!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Long story short, I fly Star Alliance and my father flies One World. He got JAL Diamond status and is one of those frequent flyers who neither cares about status or knows what benefits it gives him. Two questions:

1) Where is the best place to read a crash course on the JAL mileage bank so I can give him the gist of what Diamond means; and

2) It mentioned in his package that he could gift his status to a family member. Since I am the only other frequent flyer in the family, he thought perhaps I could use it for the odd time I have to fly one world. How would I go about setting myself up so that he could gift the status to me.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marchelli
Long story short, I fly Star Alliance and my father flies One World. He got JAL Diamond status and is one of those frequent flyers who neither cares about status or knows what benefits it gives him. Two questions:

1) Where is the best place to read a crash course on the JAL mileage bank so I can give him the gist of what Diamond means; and

2) It mentioned in his package that he could gift his status to a family member. Since I am the only other frequent flyer in the family, he thought perhaps I could use it for the odd time I have to fly one world. How would I go about setting myself up so that he could gift the status to me.
There is not too many hoops and hidden strange things about diamond status. You can get the gist from the JMB pages.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/

Giving status to you, he would need to select Partner Status as his service selection. You would need to create a JMB account and get registered as part of JAL Family Club for his account. Then all should be fine.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/flyon/sentaku/
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:59 pm

Change beyond turnaround point

Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me if I can change a ticket if it is already used beyond turnaround point? Ticket NGO-TYO-LAX-TYO-NGO. Used segments NGO-TYO-LAX-TYO. Flexible RT ticket, Fare basis MLX79ZN9. At this point need to change TYO-NGO. The seats are available in the ticketed booking class. But the change occurs after passing over turnaround point (LAX). Shall the ticket be recalculated with a new fare break point in TYO or just applicable date change fee is to be collected without recalculation? Thank you!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Aizhan
Hi Folks!

Can anyone tell me if I can change a ticket if it is already used beyond turnaround point? Ticket NGO-TYO-LAX-TYO-NGO. Used segments NGO-TYO-LAX-TYO. Flexible RT ticket, Fare basis MLX79ZN9. At this point need to change TYO-NGO. The seats are available in the ticketed booking class. But the change occurs after passing over turnaround point (LAX). Shall the ticket be recalculated with a new fare break point in TYO or just applicable date change fee is to be collected without recalculation? Thank you!
Give JAL a call, they are in the best position to provide you the info needed.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
JMGM v JGCM

I am curious, if JGC Sapphire member take another OW carrier flight?

What would be showing on the boarding pass. Mine when taking MH it was shown as "JMGM/Sapphire" is this normal or it should be shown as "JGCM"?

Just asking this when I was doing some random google search on JMGM and also wondering will happen if I present green JGC card next year if I am downgrade to green when I took MH.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Hi all, I just booked a J ticket that's code share with American Airlines with the following itinerary:

JL 746 (Boeing 787)
MNL - NRT

AA 8436 (Boeing 767)
NRT - YVR

AA 8435 (Boeing 767)
YVR - NRT

JL 745 (Boeing 787)
NRT - MNL

Any suggestions on best seat for both segments (787 & 767)? Also is Wifi complimentary if you are flying in J?

Thanks!

Last edited by dmatthew; Jan 13, 2020 at 12:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.