Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
It's more just to increase our relaxation, we live about a 50 minute subway ride away but would like to have a totally stress-free day so starting at Terminal 5 would make that about as easy as it can be. Just a fun honeymoon splurge.
Keep in mind the transfer from T5 back to T1 can take almost as long as your 50 minute subway ride. (Well, not really, but you'll have to drag your stuff to the parking garage to get on the AirTrain, then go around the loop. It'll easily take 15 minutes.) Also, when I stayed at the TWA Hotel I had to change rooms because, while the soundproofing is generally pretty good, the connecting doors are paper thin.

The TWA Hotel does offer day rates. If you end up on the late flight, you could do the 8am-8pm stay. The hotel is much more interesting when you're awake.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by bennos
Keep in mind the transfer from T5 back to T1 can take almost as long as your 50 minute subway ride. (Well, not really, but you'll have to drag your stuff to the parking garage to get on the AirTrain, then go around the loop. It'll easily take 15 minutes.) Also, when I stayed at the TWA Hotel I had to change rooms because, while the soundproofing is generally pretty good, the connecting doors are paper thin.

The TWA Hotel does offer day rates. If you end up on the late flight, you could do the 8am-8pm stay. The hotel is much more interesting when you're awake.
Oh, I had no idea they did day rates. If we end up getting the late flight (Seems like that's most of the availability I can find) that will definitely be what we do.

When does the flight time switch to the 1am departure?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Oh, I had no idea they did day rates. If we end up getting the late flight (Seems like that's most of the availability I can find) that will definitely be what we do.

When does the flight time switch to the 1am departure?
Last weekend of March when the summer time table kicks in.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:32 pm

Is the best move for the late departure to eat dinner stay up for another hour or two and then sleep? 4:45am arrival seems brutal.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:09 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Is the best move for the late departure to eat dinner stay up for another hour or two and then sleep? 4:45am arrival seems brutal.
I would definitely eat on board, because the food in the JFK lounge (LH Senator) is meh. Ideally you'd try to stay up to adjust to Japan time, but that is easier said than done.

For a honeymoon, I'd try really hard to get on the day flight JL5 to maximize the F experience.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by mhy
I would definitely eat on board, because the food in the JFK lounge (LH Senator) is meh. Ideally you'd try to stay up to adjust to Japan time, but that is easier said than done.

For a honeymoon, I'd try really hard to get on the day flight JL5 to maximize the F experience.
We're gonna do F on the return. Going to be a lot more sleeping on the way out.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'd eat dinner on the flight, leave room for about 8 hours to sleep, wake up for a quick breakfast and a refresh/change in to my own clothes and arrive well rested in the morning. I think this a perfect setup. The only thing that can wonder, will JAL offer a full dinner at take-off. They (and NH) have this tendency to not offer full service on the late night departures. I guess time will tell when we get the menus uploaded for April.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I'd eat dinner on the flight, leave room for about 8 hours to sleep, wake up for a quick breakfast and a refresh/change in to my own clothes and arrive well rested in the morning. I think this a perfect setup. The only thing that can wonder, will JAL offer a full dinner at take-off. They (and NH) have this tendency to not offer full service on the late night departures. I guess time will tell when we get the menus uploaded for April.
I wonder if the stage length would influence that decision.

For MSYtoJFKagain, you can use the shower rooms on arrival at HND to freshen up as well, before dropping off luggage at your hotel or use the luggage delivery service to ship it to your hotel and just enjoy your day in Tokyo.

If you can sleep well on a plane, the early morning arrival is quite nice. If you can't and coupled with jet lag, it can be a bit brutal that first day or so.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I wonder if the stage length would influence that decision.

For MSYtoJFKagain, you can use the shower rooms on arrival at HND to freshen up as well, before dropping off luggage at your hotel or use the luggage delivery service to ship it to your hotel and just enjoy your day in Tokyo.

If you can sleep well on a plane, the early morning arrival is quite nice. If you can't and coupled with jet lag, it can be a bit brutal that first day or so.
Due to the length of the JFK HND flight, I would lean to an expectation of having a full meal. But let's see.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:49 pm

I keep forgetting that we're flying a premium cabin and have lounge access. A very nice problem to have!

Does an arriving business class ticket allow lounge access at HND?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:10 pm

I keep forgetting that we're flying a premium cabin and have lounge access. A very nice problem to have!

Does an arriving business class ticket allow lounge access at HND?
No, no arrival lounge and no lounge access without an onward flight I'm afraid. There are shower rooms that are complimentary for J/F pax though.

Massage and Personal Care | Haneda Airport International Terminal

Straying a little from JAL and perhaps better asked in the general Japan forum or specific hotel property thread but- depending on the hotel you're staying at and status, you may be invited to use the fitness facility (shower/etc)/lounge for breakfast (my experience at the Hilton Tokyo as a Gold upgraded to an exec room back when JL1/2 were late night departures) but shouldn't expect to be able to get into a room until closer to or at official check-in time. If you want to guarantee a room during the day, book the night before or a red eye arrival and follow up with the hotel to let them know you're arriving early morning. Just an alternative to consider vs taking time to shower at the airport.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:01 pm

I think our first few days will be at either the Hilton Tokyo, Kitano, or Prince Park Tower. I hold no status with any chain these days.

Edit: There are some very strong negative opinions about the Prince apparently.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Jan 31, 2020 at 6:38 am Reason: Added information.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec
My husband and I are flying RT Business class SAN-NRT in May. I've never flown JAL before, but am extremely wary about the notoriously warm cabin temperatures. I am one of those people that cannot sleep unless it's under 74F and I've read about cabin temps above 80F! I'm already planning on tossing aside all my plane-safety etiquette and bringing shorts and a tank top to change into, but has anyone ever brought a small personal fan on board? I was thinking of getting a USB-powered one that I could just plug in and enjoy, though I'm concerned a FA may not like it. Any other ideas for staying cool?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Pogaf
I'm already planning on tossing aside all my plane-safety etiquette and bringing shorts and a tank top to change into, but has anyone ever brought a small personal fan on board? I was thinking of getting a USB-powered one that I could just plug in and enjoy, though I'm concerned a FA may not like it. Any other ideas for staying cool?
Not that rare, and the FAs wont even bat an eye as long as it is USB-powered or powered by small size batteries (no large batteries to deal with), QUIET (not a strangely noisy fan that would disturb the cabin).
YouTube search it and you will see examples of people with USB fans on the JAL international flights.
I personally have a small hand-held AA battery powered fan, a popular item to have to cope with the hot Japanese summers, and I use it on JAL/ANA flights when needed.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:32 am

Try to get window seats on the right side westbound and left side eastbound to avoid solar heating as much as possible. There's a thread about cabin temperatures and mitigation strategies

JAL - Hot Cabin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.