Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is a rather short connection for a separate ticket, but in practical terms not impossible. The joker will be the immigration lines. You will get your second boarding pass in San Diego, and if you have luggage it will be tagged for the domestic connection, though you'll still need to reclaim and bring it through customs.

But if there is a long line, talk to the staff to help you. Domestic check in is on the far left of the terminal when you exit from customs. Cut off is passing security 20 minutes before departure.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is a rather short connection for a separate ticket, but in practical terms not impossible. The joker will be the immigration lines. You will get your second boarding pass in San Diego, and if you have luggage it will be tagged for the domestic connection, though you'll still need to reclaim and bring it through customs.

But if there is a long line, talk to the staff to help you. Domestic check in is on the far left of the terminal when you exit from customs. Cut off is passing security 20 minutes before departure.
Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
If you are not traveling with a lot of luggage, you may just take the Narita Express to Shinagawa and change to Shinkansen to Osaka
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost

April, 2024

[snip]

I want to add NRT-ITM departing at 625pm. This appears to be the only possible departure to get to Osaka that evening from NRT.

[snip]

- This is a tighter connection than I’d care for, but I think it is doable. It appears to be within MTC. Am I crazy to try this, or should it be ok so long as there are no significant IROPS? Understanding I won’t be protected in the event of a misconnect, my backup plan would be to either take the train or book a last minute flight out of HND after I grab a cab to HND.
(Potential) problem will be with immigration queues at NRT.

If you want a later flight, the cheapest same-day backup option is the last flight with either Peach (8:45pm) or Jetstar (7:45pm) NRT-KIX flights once they release their Summer 2024 (= April and beyond) timetables. This will be a lot cheaper than the solution of NRT-HND taxi + a last minute flight although perhaps not sufficiently cheaper than the combination of Narita Express + Shinkansen to want to deal with a LCC.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Daytona
If you are not traveling with a lot of luggage, you may just take the Narita Express to Shinagawa and change to Shinkansen to Osaka
Thanks. This was my original plan but as I thought about it, it seemed easier to just catch a connecting flight. I’ll have some luggage, but this is one of my backup options.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Agneisse
(Potential) problem will be with immigration queues at NRT.

If you want a later flight, the cheapest same-day backup option is the last flight with either Peach (8:45pm) or Jetstar (7:45pm) NRT-KIX flights once they release their Summer 2024 (= April and beyond) timetables. This will be a lot cheaper than the solution of NRT-HND taxi + a last minute flight although perhaps not sufficiently cheaper than the combination of Narita Express + Shinkansen to want to deal with a LCC.
Thanks, it didn’t occur to me that other options may open up as well.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 5:10 am

Thanks, it didn’t occur to me that other options may open up as well.
They're both LCCs with the classic LCC disadvantages (fees for everything, bags not checked through and you'll need to change terminals at NRT with them in tow [unless you takkyubin the larger ones to Osaka], obviously no mileage earnings or status benefits etc.). However, domestic flying in Japan is pretty civilized compared to Spirit/Ryanair type experiences, and I suppose it's possible KIX vs ITM is a wash for where you want to be in Osaka.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:41 pm

What are the options for booking JAL Premium Economy awards, between Japan and US west coast? I've only found British Airways Avios and Qantas, with pretty lackluster point value.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LeastP
What are the options for booking JAL Premium Economy awards, between Japan and US west coast? I've only found British Airways Avios and Qantas, with pretty lackluster point value.
JAL miles is a pretty good option.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
Hi everyone,

I have a trip in early January 2024 from Asia back to New York via Tokyo-Haneda and Dallas. The first 2 segments are on JL, and the DFW-NYC sector is on AA (this is all on JL 131 stock ticket). The fare code is restricted R, so re-booking is not permitted (this flight option was a huge savings of money over the direct HND-JFK flight). This would mean my arrival back to America would be on 2 January 2024.

Originally, I had a layover at DFW (this would comprise of US entry immigrations, customs, and then re-checking in for the AA domestic flight. However, I found out that my work will require me to attend a 3 day conference in Chicago (ORD) from 3-5 January, so I would be able to book my flights from DFW-ORD on 2 Jan, and then ORD-NYC after Jan 5. I would use our firm's corporate travel portal to potentially book the flights.

Say if I was able to pick up my luggage at DFW and not check-in for DFW-NYC, but for my DFW-ORD flight. Would I still be able to earn JL points for the first 2 flights despite 1 flight not taken? Should I let JL know that I will skip my first flight segment? I look at today's XXX-HND-ORD pricing, and it is ridiculous Would cancelling/not showing up for my DFW-NYC flight have any possible detriments for future flights?

I apologize if this is super specific and detailed. I wonder if I should also post this on the AA forum.
If I'm reading this correcting you're going XXX (why is it a secret ?) - HND-DFW-JFK-DFW-HND-XXX? If that's correct and you skip DFW-JFK then your return will get cancelled. Sounds like you're going to have to fly to New York and go to Chicago from there.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL miles is a pretty good option.
Sorry, I should have specified transfer partners
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by dvs7310
If I'm reading this correcting you're going XXX (why is it a secret ?) - HND-DFW-JFK-DFW-HND-XXX? If that's correct and you skip DFW-JFK then your return will get cancelled. Sounds like you're going to have to fly to New York and go to Chicago from there.
It's Singapore because I am visiting my family for the year-end, but I may end up visiting Malaysia also.

I updated the post to reflect this is a one-way trip, and the JFK-HND-SIN was booked with points! Like CPH-Flyer suggested above, I might end up skipping DFW-JFK segment on my first itinerary and get a separate DFW-ORD on UA. Otherwise, I have thought to let an AAgent at DFW know that I want to cancel the DFW-JFK flight (I would purchase fully refundable AA DFW-ORD ticket) and check-in for DFW-ORD instead. I would need to re-check for the domestic flight at DFW anyways, so I may be able to try this strategy out. I considered to head back to NYC, but then this is a somewhat time-consuming process
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:57 pm

Hi
If this in the wrong spot let me know. We are travelling from SYD to Europe next year on JAL business (booked with JAL) we have put our QFF (gold) in the booking. Should we join the JAL FF program as well?
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:49 pm

Hello,

I have a few questions on best practice for how to handle booking a connection on separate itineraries.

I currently have SAN - NRT booked, arriving 445pm. This is booked in business with AA miles, for travel in April, 2024.

I want to add NRT-ITM departing at 625pm. This appears to be the only possible departure to get to Osaka that evening from NRT.

There is award availability in economy on the segment, but AA will not add the segment without canceling and rebooking. I’ve called a couple times to no avail.

I tried to book a paid, refundable business class ticket but was placed on the waitlist.

I’m considering simply booking the economy segment as a backup, just to make sure I have something secured. A few questions:

- This is a tighter connection than I’d care for, but I think it is doable. It appears to be within MTC. Am I crazy to try this, or should it be ok so long as there are no significant IROPS? Understanding I won’t be protected in the event of a misconnect, my backup plan would be to either take the train or book a last minute flight out of HND after I grab a cab to HND.
- Can someone explain the details of the waitlist? I didn’t expect I would be unable to purchase a paid business class ticket. Is this just a timing issue and I can assume it will clear on a predictable timeline?
- Will I have any issues if I book an economy ticket now, then cancel it if the waitlisted business class fare clears? I’m (probably unduly) concerned I won’t get a seat at all on this flight, given it seems to be my only reasonable option.
- Any other options I’m missing? I am going to keep searching for availability on they LAX - KIX flight as I think that will be logistically easier for me, but short of that I don’t know if I’m missing any other possibilities.

Thank you!
Contact AA through Twitter. They can do it.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walter82
Hi
If this in the wrong spot let me know. We are travelling from SYD to Europe next year on JAL business (booked with JAL) we have put our QFF (gold) in the booking. Should we join the JAL FF program as well?
If you are wanting to earn miles and status points with QF, no reason at all to join JMB
walter82 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.