Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's definitely possible, but availability will be difficult to find. You'd need to find a day you can get saver availability on AA to a JL gateway. An easy way to look for that is using the BA site since it'll only show you when saver is available vs. having to scroll through endless 'dynamic' awards on AA's site. Keep in mind JL also has BOS, SAN, LAX, SFO, and SEA as a gateway, you have at least 2x non-stops on AA to each of those from CLT.
Yeah, that's what I was seeing as well. OneWorld award tickets don't allow PE to be selected. JMB Partner tickets don't allow split airlines. Good tip on searching BA for availability though.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I guess it depends on your definition of difficult. I just checked a random week in November via JAL' s website, 6 out of 7 days had availability on the non stop flights from CLT to ORD. And several flights had 7 seats open. Of course that is Y, but if it is just about getting the connection to a JAL flight, it is a relatively short hop to "survive" in Y.
Right... so I would just book this Y CLT-ORD flight and then call JAL and have them combine the Y US domestic flight with my international flight? I wasn't aware that was possible.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jsimon926
Yeah, that's what I was seeing as well. OneWorld award tickets don't allow PE to be selected. JMB Partner tickets don't allow split airlines. Good tip on searching BA for availability though.

Right... so I would just book this Y CLT-ORD flight and then call JAL and have them combine the Y US domestic flight with my international flight? I wasn't aware that was possible.
Just search for a oneworld award for the full route, they can be issued in mixed classes. You will pay for the higher class all the way, but as the Y segment will be pretty short it should not make much of a difference.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just search for a oneworld award for the full route, they can be issued in mixed classes. You will pay for the higher class all the way, but as the Y segment will be pretty short it should not make much of a difference.
Thank you!
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:22 pm

Hello, I'm trying to book award seats from HND to ORD for next Summer. There is noting from June to Aug. Not even Y and I'm good with Y. Sept has plenty of seats. Does anyone know if JAL will eventually release seats? or am I too late already? Thanks

BTW, I'm using Alaska Miles
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by north49
Hello, I'm trying to book award seats from HND to ORD for next Summer. There is noting from June to Aug. Not even Y and I'm good with Y. Sept has plenty of seats. Does anyone know if JAL will eventually release seats? or am I too late already? Thanks

BTW, I'm using Alaska Miles
Just at a quick glance, I see loads of availability on the AA site, JL to SFO and AS SFO-ORD in June and July.

If you want premium cabin, quite often JL releases inventory close in. There is both First and Business available this coming week connecting in either DFW (F) or SFO (J). This is a very common trend, hard to book in advance but if you have even mildly flexible plans then can be very easy to book.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 8:12 am

Yeah. I think I may have to book last minute. Seeing more posts of last minute success stories.
I'll also try the AA search engine with the other routes you suggested. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:25 am

I have two separate bookings on JAL, one is LAX-HND in J and the other is HND-CTS in Y. Both are one-way, booked with American award miles. I couldn’t find an award ticket in J that went all the way through from LAX to CTS, so I had to book them separately.

Will JAL combine them into a single booking? My concerns are:

1. Not having to pick up my checked bag at HND and then re-check it back in (which also means going through security again).

2. If there’s a delay to my LAX-HND flight, JAL would book me on the next available flight or pay for a hotel overnight if needed, instead of having to fend for myself.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
I have two separate bookings on JAL, one is LAX-HND in J and the other is HND-CTS in Y. Both are one-way, booked with American award miles. I couldn’t find an award ticket in J that went all the way through from LAX to CTS, so I had to book them separately.

Will JAL combine them into a single booking? My concerns are:

1. Not having to pick up my checked bag at HND and then re-check it back in (which also means going through security again).

2. If there’s a delay to my LAX-HND flight, JAL would book me on the next available flight or pay for a hotel overnight if needed, instead of having to fend for myself.
You have to go through immigration and customs at your first port of entry to Japan. This means you need to pick and recheck your luggage, and go through security, even if you are on a single ticket.

JAL wouldn’t touch your bookings. These are owned by AA. You will have to ask AA to combine them.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
For some reason, i keep getting this white box when I am searching for flight.
Not sure what happened but it still occurred on both Chrome and Edge.
Tried to delete cache to no avail.
Surely the webpage is much more laggy than previously right before they change the layout.
Spoiler

Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: DL(PM) AA(EP) HYATT(Globalist) HILTON(Diamond)
aa ep here traveling on aa award booking for sept '24 with a couple of questions:
1) booked jal F out of ord - hnd, then Y hnd - cts on sep ticket, lounge access options should be 1st lounge from owe status? is there sep domestic/int lounges? even as an award ticket i can still ask check-in agent for cash upgrade to F on domestic leg?
2) booked jal J hnd - ord. is this eligible for dod airport upgrade to F by paying cash difference? if so how do they calculate that?(current 1st- current biz?) access 1st check-in and lounge from my owe status?
3) thoughts on booking Y fare nonstop and doing dod upgrade into W on new a350? (pro: nonstop back to jfk in what seems to be a pretty sick W product to try out | cons: layover in ord on a older biz class product) and what are the chances ord route gets the new plane by q3 '24
Old Oct 31, 2023, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ylc13
aa ep here traveling on aa award booking for sept '24 with a couple of questions:
1) booked jal F out of ord - hnd, then Y hnd - cts on sep ticket, lounge access options should be 1st lounge from owe status? is there sep domestic/int lounges? even as an award ticket i can still ask check-in agent for cash upgrade to F on domestic leg?
2) booked jal J hnd - ord. is this eligible for dod airport upgrade to F by paying cash difference? if so how do they calculate that?(current 1st- current biz?) access 1st check-in and lounge from my owe status?
3) thoughts on booking Y fare nonstop and doing dod upgrade into W on new a350? (pro: nonstop back to jfk in what seems to be a pretty sick W product to try out | cons: layover in ord on a older biz class product) and what are the chances ord route gets the new plane by q3 '24
1) yes, there are separate domestic and international lounges. You'll have access to the Diamond Premier lounge in the domestic terminal. And yes you can ask for a day of departure upgrade on award tickets. Upgrade requests can be made from 3 hours before departure. Online or at the airport.
2) they can reprice your current ticket from J to F. Basically take the residual value after cancelling your coupon and then charge you the new fare minus residual value. If this ticket is also an AA award, there is zero residual value you can use.
3) I am not sure you are going to like the cash price is of a one way ticket from Japan to the US. With the new and smaller W cabin, there are probably going to be less seats for day of departure upgrades. I am sure they'll have planes enough to run JL6/5 daily by then. Question is if they keep them there, but probably.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by ylc13
I don't know which plane type you have HND-CTS but F does tend to sell out before the flight. Sure you can request it when you check in but don't hold your breath. On the other hand on the domestic 787s and A350s Class J is quite nice (domestic no-frills business class). It's 2,000 JPY HND-CTS to upgrade and does tend to be available quite a bit if you check in fairly early (no online check in for domestic, have to do at the airport and you can upgrade from 3 hours before the flight). There is no free alcohol or any food in Class J, but it's a 1.5 hour flight and you're free to bring a can or two of beer or chu-hai from the airport convenience store (they're cheap, Japanese airport shops don't gouge you like the US, still about $2 a can which is about 50 cents more than buying the same can in the city). Japan has no ridiculous rules against BYOB self serve on an airplane.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:29 am

Hello all, looking forward to my first trip to Japan this year! Was hoping for the best advice on HND lounges and how to navigate the HND airport.

I have the following flights booked (all on the same itinerary):
BOS - ORD Y -- will have a chance to check out the ORD Admirals Club
ORD - HND J -- this flight followed by 6+ hour layover to deal with customs and any possible delays (will be there from noon-7 PM, and arriving terminal 3)
HND - HIJ J -- Final destination (departing Terminal 1) -- excited to visit friends in Hiroshima

When I arrive in Japan, I'm wondering what is the best lounge to spend the day at in HND? After customs, should I/am I allowed to work my way back to the terminal 3 Business Sakura Lounge? Or would it be best to go to the the Domestic Sakura Lounge at Terminal 1?

Is anyone able to speak to whether I would be able to attend the T3 Lounge, and if there are any major differences or reasons to do that, if I am taking off from Terminal 1? Thanks for any support!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Aflawrence920
Hello all, looking forward to my first trip to Japan this year! Was hoping for the best advice on HND lounges and how to navigate the HND airport.

ORD - HND J -- this flight followed by 6+ hour layover to deal with customs and any possible delays (will be there from noon-7 PM, and arriving terminal 3)
HND - HIJ J -- Final destination (departing Terminal 1) -- excited to visit friends in Hiroshima

When I arrive in Japan, I'm wondering what is the best lounge to spend the day at in HND? After customs, should I/am I allowed to work my way back to the terminal 3 Business Sakura Lounge? Or would it be best to go to the the Domestic Sakura Lounge at Terminal 1?

Is anyone able to speak to whether I would be able to attend the T3 Lounge, and if there are any major differences or reasons to do that, if I am taking off from Terminal 1? Thanks for any support!
BOS - ORD: You can use the Admirals Club in BOS and ORD. You can even hit up the Flagship® Lounge in ORD as a oneworld J passenger

After you land in HND you will need to clear immigration and custom, and pick up any checked luggages

You will not have access to Sakura Lounge in T3 as that requires international departure
You will then need to check in for your flight to HIJ in T1, or in T3 arrival level (there is a domestic flights transfer counter to your far right after you exit customs)

You will have access to the Sakura Lounge in T1. Though the domestic lounges are really barebone compared to their international counterparts. I will not spend 5 hours in there.

You can choose to check out the Haneda Airport Garden which is directly connected indoors to T3 arrival level, it features the usual shops and eateries, as well as an onsen.
Or if you know your way around Tokyo, 5 hours is enough to head into the city to grab lunch and do a little sightseeing/shopping

Last edited by Daytona; Nov 1, 2023 at 12:39 pm Reason: Added info for domestic transfer in T3
Old Nov 1, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Aflawrence920

On a second look - you sure you have your time correct? JL 9 ORD - HND lands at 2:55 PM not 12 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.