Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Old Nov 9, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
I just bought $300 Sony headphones and they only came with the single prong end not the double for airplane seats. Does jal provide an adapter or should I buy before flight? Thank you
First, business, premium economy, requires an adapter if you want reasonable sound quality. The latest iterations of the Skywider economy seat have single prong plugs. Can't any longer remember the exact planes, but 777-300ER are dual pronged, I think all the 787-9 are single.

Normally all Sony's noise cancelling headphones come with an adapter, but the non noice cancellation ones do not.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:27 am

Hi All, I'm coming off a JL flight from the US and transferring to a domestic JL flight HND-KIX. I'm booked in Business Class (U) for both flights. Is there a lounge in the Domestic Terminal? I couldn't find much info on JAL's website besides the FC and Sakura Lounges which seem to be in the Int'l Terminal. This is my first time connecting (or even flying into) HND. Thanks in adv.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
Hi All, I'm coming off a JL flight from the US and transferring to a domestic JL flight HND-KIX. I'm booked in Business Class (U) for both flights. Is there a lounge in the Domestic Terminal? I couldn't find much info on JAL's website besides the FC and Sakura Lounges which seem to be in the Int'l Terminal. This is my first time connecting (or even flying into) HND. Thanks in adv.
Yes there are Sakura lounges and Diamond Premier Lounges. The latter for people flying domestic first class or having emerald status.

I am not sure what U maps into of cabin class on domestic, but Class J in and by itself does not have lounge access (higest cabin class on HND KIX) but the connection from long haul J to short haul will fix that for you, or status will get you lounge access. The domestic lounge are not something special though. Particularly the Sakura lounge have rather slim offerings.
portlandexpos04 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:30 pm

I'm arriving on JL10 into ORD in F. I'll then need to go through immigration and back through security as I'm heading on to MCO 5 hours later. Will I be able to use the F lounge? I think it seems like technically no, but in practice yes?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morkai
I'm arriving on JL10 into ORD in F. I'll then need to go through immigration and back through security as I'm heading on to MCO 5 hours later. Will I be able to use the F lounge? I think it seems like technically no, but in practice yes?
If the flight to MCO is on AA, then Oneworld rules would kick in and the long haul flight is the deciding factor for lounge access. That would allow you in to the AA Flagship Lounge. I don't know if there is a Flagship First Dining in ORD, but if there is it would not grant access there, as it is outside of standard Oneworld rules, and only for AA three class flagship first passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:45 am

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Hi everyone! I am a longtime lurker, but finally decided to give this website a shot and learn something out of it.

I am currently Oneworld Emerald with American Airlines but am thinking to switch to JMB, due to my travels focusing towards Asia. My status with AA will expire on 31 March 2024, to which hopefully I should reach JMB Sapphire or JCG Premier. I have a few questions regarding the JMB program:
  1. The website mentions that 30,000 / 50,000 FLY ON Points are needed to reach Crystal / Sapphire levels. Once my flights are credited and I reach these thresholds in 2023, will my status also upgrade throughout the year or do I need to wait for the following year (2024)?
  2. I have 2 JAL metel flights tickets as AA codeshares for early January. Will I be able to earn FLY ON points on these flights or will they count towards non-JAL points? Otherwise, I can cancel these tickets and buy them via JAL to work on qualifying for status.
  3. Will I be able to use my AA OWE status and access JAL priotity boarding, check-in desk, First Class lounges despite crediting my JAL flights to JAL and having no status?
Pardon for the many questions asked. Thank you for anyone helping out!
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
Hi everyone! I am a longtime lurker, but finally decided to give this website a shot and learn something out of it.

I am currently Oneworld Emerald with American Airlines but am thinking to switch to JMB, due to my travels focusing towards Asia. My status with AA will expire on 31 March 2024, to which hopefully I should reach JMB Sapphire or JCG Premier. I have a few questions regarding the JMB program:
  1. The website mentions that 30,000 / 50,000 FLY ON Points are needed to reach Crystal / Sapphire levels. Once my flights are credited and I reach these thresholds in 2023, will my status also upgrade throughout the year or do I need to wait for the following year (2024)?
  2. I have 2 JAL metel flights tickets as AA codeshares for early January. Will I be able to earn FLY ON points on these flights or will they count towards non-JAL points? Otherwise, I can cancel these tickets and buy them via JAL to work on qualifying for status.
  3. Will I be able to use my AA OWE status and access JAL priotity boarding, check-in desk, First Class lounges despite crediting my JAL flights to JAL and having no status?
Pardon for the many questions asked. Thank you for anyone helping out!
Welcome as a member to Flyertalk, and welcome to the JAL forum. I hope you will find it helpful here.
  1. Of those 30K/50K it is important to remember that 50% of them have to come from JAL marketed flights. But as soon as the last necessary flight posts, the status will get upgraded in the system and you can reap the benefits of the status.
  2. AA codeshare on JAL counts as an AA flight, JL codeshare on AA counts as a JL flight. Marketing carrier counts
  3. Basically yes. But do have your card handy, and do make sure they don't change the program assigned on your booking.
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Welcome as a member to Flyertalk, and welcome to the JAL forum. I hope you will find it helpful here.
  1. Of those 30K/50K it is important to remember that 50% of them have to come from JAL marketed flights. But as soon as the last necessary flight posts, the status will get upgraded in the system and you can reap the benefits of the status.
  2. AA codeshare on JAL counts as an AA flight, JL codeshare on AA counts as a JL flight. Marketing carrier counts
  3. Basically yes. But do have your card handy, and do make sure they don't change the program assigned on your booking.
Thanks! Your username is common on these forums, glad to have gotten in touch with you.
I have another question with the JGC club. I am thinking that I could potetntially reach JGC Premier or JMB DIamond, both of which are Emerald. If I went for the JGC Premier option, that means having 80K points will be my cut-off, and I would have to wait until 2024 to receive this invitation, or is that automatic as well once I qualified?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
Thanks! Your username is common on these forums, glad to have gotten in touch with you.
I have another question with the JGC club. I am thinking that I could potetntially reach JGC Premier or JMB DIamond, both of which are Emerald. If I went for the JGC Premier option, that means having 80K points will be my cut-off, and I would have to wait until 2024 to receive this invitation, or is that automatic as well once I qualified?
You would first need to reach Sapphire, be invited to join JGC, and join. Then you can achieve JGC Premier. But once you join, you can do JGC Premier the same year, you don't have to wait for the following year before being able to achieve emerald at the lower threshold.
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:08 pm

I'm currently booked for a flight from LAX to CTS with a layover in HND on a JAL codeshared flight with AA. Due to some updated scheduling from JAL, AA felt it prudent to update my itinerary so now the first leg of my flight will be landing in HND at 5am while the 2nd leg doesn't take off until 5pm. I tried to see if I could get the 2nd leg changed to an earlier flight but AA says it can't do anything and I've never been able to get in contact with JAL. So I guess I was wondering if when I land in Haneda, would I be able to go to the JAL counter and ask to be moved to an earlier flight or will the flight being codeshared keep me stuck on it?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silenthillnight
I'm currently booked for a flight from LAX to CTS with a layover in HND on a JAL codeshared flight with AA. Due to some updated scheduling from JAL, AA felt it prudent to update my itinerary so now the first leg of my flight will be landing in HND at 5am while the 2nd leg doesn't take off until 5pm. I tried to see if I could get the 2nd leg changed to an earlier flight but AA says it can't do anything and I've never been able to get in contact with JAL. So I guess I was wondering if when I land in Haneda, would I be able to go to the JAL counter and ask to be moved to an earlier flight or will the flight being codeshared keep me stuck on it?
I don't quite know why AA would leave that long in between, there are more or less hourly departures to CTS. but maybe AA only codeshare on a few of them, and want to keep you on a codeshare? Unless your ticket is in a flexible booking class, JAL will not move you to an earlier flight on the day.

Calling JAL will not help, they can't change your ticket. Only AA can, or your TA if you booked via a TA.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:38 pm

I don't quite know why AA would leave that long in between, there are more or less hourly departures to CTS. but maybe AA only codeshare on a few of them, and want to keep you on a codeshare? Unless your ticket is in a flexible booking class, JAL will not move you to an earlier flight on the day.

Calling JAL will not help, they can't change your ticket. Only AA can, or your TA if you booked via a TA.
Yea, I think AA only codeshares one of the flights from HND to CTS but I'm not entirely sure about that. It is a J class ticket so I'm hoping that gives me some leeway in having it changed at the counter.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You would first need to reach Sapphire, be invited to join JGC, and join. Then you can achieve JGC Premier. But once you join, you can do JGC Premier the same year, you don't have to wait for the following year before being able to achieve emerald at the lower threshold.
Follow up question for this - I achieved Sapphire with JAL and will join the JGC as a Sapphire, which as I understand it, allows me to maintain Sapphire status with OW indefinitely provided I pay the 5,000 miles annually regardless of whether or not I fly at all, or reach Sapphire in future years.

So does this mean if I am able to hit Premier before 12/31, that I would retain Emerald status under the same terms?

I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference between Sapphire and Emerald to make it worthwhile aside from the First Class lounge access, but it would be helpful to know while there is still time to add another trip with the double Fly-On promo.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Follow up question for this - I achieved Sapphire with JAL and will join the JGC as a Sapphire, which as I understand it, allows me to maintain Sapphire status with OW indefinitely provided I pay the 5,000 miles annually regardless of whether or not I fly at all, or reach Sapphire in future years.

So does this mean if I am able to hit Premier before 12/31, that I would retain Emerald status under the same terms?

I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference between Sapphire and Emerald to make it worthwhile aside from the First Class lounge access, but it would be helpful to know while there is still time to add another trip with the double Fly-On promo.
Only if you are enrolled by Dec 31.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen

You can attain emerald for 80K points if you are enrolled in JGC by 31/12, but you need to fly 80K points every year to retain emerald. Only Sapphire can be extended without flying.
bocastephen likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.