Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy
How long does it normally take for the JMB Diamond package to arrive? I made status in 2019 but still have not received it.
Is your mailing address correct?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:53 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is your mailing address correct?
I think so. I received my Sapphire & JGC stuff and I haven’t moved addresses since then.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mhy
I think so. I received my Sapphire & JGC stuff and I haven’t moved addresses since then.
If you account does show it correctly, I would assume that anything above a two week wait would be excessive, and you should give them a call.

With one caveat, if you qualified very late you might only get the pack when the rest of us get our renewal packs. Which is usually somewhere in March. The difference between getting a 2019/2020 card, or just the 2020 card.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:03 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
If you account does show it correctly, I would assume that anything above a two week wait would be excessive, and you should give them a call.

With one caveat, if you qualified very late you might only get the pack when the rest of us get our renewal packs. Which is usually somewhere in March. The difference between getting a 2019/2020 card, or just the 2020 card.
Yea I qualified via a flight on Dec 30.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Is the calendar still available for sale? I saw it no longer on sale in JALshop online but still available in Amazon Japan.

Does the Blue Sky Flight Shop in Haneda still having it on sale?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:59 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by minizian
Is the calendar still available for sale? I saw it no longer on sale in JALshop online but still available in Amazon Japan.

Does the Blue Sky Flight Shop in Haneda still having it on sale?
just buy from amazon japan if you see the ones you want. By this time of the year they are usually gone or have very limited stock left.
minizian likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: JMB
Currently, all OW carrier offer reduced prices for flights to and from Japan.
So I found a routing FRA-NRT and ITM-NRT-FRA in C...
- for ~4400€ when labelled as AY (code share) -> found using AY website
- for ~4840€ when fully labelled as JL (as operated) -> found using AY website and JAL website
- and some options between these prices with mixed code share and non-code share -> found using AY website

So, is there any reason to not book the code share flight? What are the disadvantages when booking code share flights?
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seyan
Currently, all OW carrier offer reduced prices for flights to and from Japan.
So I found a routing FRA-NRT and ITM-NRT-FRA in C...
- for ~4400€ when labelled as AY (code share) -> found using AY website
- for ~4840€ when fully labelled as JL (as operated) -> found using AY website and JAL website
- and some options between these prices with mixed code share and non-code share -> found using AY website

So, is there any reason to not book the code share flight? What are the disadvantages when booking code share flights?
Thanks in advance
Main differences are
1. Your accrual level of miles and qualifying miles may vary depending on where you accrue to.
2. Seat seat selection process may be more complex.
3. Seats available for selection may be more restricted.
4. Lifetime miles can matter if that is a point for you.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:29 am

Main differences are
1. Your accrual level of miles and qualifying miles may vary depending on where you accrue to.
2. Seat seat selection process may be more complex.
3. Seats available for selection may be more restricted.
4. Lifetime miles can matter if that is a point for you.
So all of these differences do not really matter except seat selection (which should not be a problem in C?). Would be using JMB for miles
So there is no risk AY would reroute me? Had that case a few years ago when booking code share... they exceeded their sales quota for JAL and rerouted us to Helsinki instead of direct flight...
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seyan
So all of these differences do not really matter except seat selection (which should not be a problem in C?). Would be using JMB for miles
So there is no risk AY would reroute me? Had that case a few years ago when booking code share... they exceeded their sales quota for JAL and rerouted us to Helsinki instead of direct flight...
I have never heard of that before, I have heard of seats no being available for the codeshare, while the native had plenty. But I guess it could happen. It would be one of those hypotheticals that I would never consider in my options.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:40 am

Okay, thanks a lot. So just have to convince my wife to use this good offer
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:52 pm

So my wife, son and I are planning a trip to go to Okinawa from Okayama. So OKJ-OKA I would like to use points, when I look on JAL's webite in the award reservation, they offer a direct flight to book with points. When looking at alaska airs website for award space they show the route but making a stop in Haneda. OKJ-HND-OKA. I would like to avoid stopping in Haneda. Is this possible to book using AA miles or Alaska miles? Just flying OKJ-OKA. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brabb12
So my wife, son and I are planning a trip to go to Okinawa from Okayama. So OKJ-OKA I would like to use points, when I look on JAL's webite in the award reservation, they offer a direct flight to book with points. When looking at alaska airs website for award space they show the route but making a stop in Haneda. OKJ-HND-OKA. I would like to avoid stopping in Haneda. Is this possible to book using AA miles or Alaska miles? Just flying OKJ-OKA. Thanks.
JMB may have availability that Alaska and American does not have access to. Apart from whether or not seats are available to book, there is nothing preventing AA or AS for providing mileage bookings on the OKJ OKA route.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:24 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JMB may have availability that Alaska and American does not have access to. Apart from whether or not seats are available to book, there is nothing preventing AA or AS for providing mileage bookings on the OKJ OKA route.
in other words, best ask AA or AS folks for their redemption related questions
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
in other words, best ask AA or AS folks for their redemption related questions
Yes, that is the line that I forgot....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.