Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by o2fan
I am scheduled to fly PDX-SFO-HND. I received an email yesterday saying the SFO-HND leg is now departing 6 hours earlier which means my PDX flight must now be changed. I tried to check my reservation online but then received an error message below. There is no page to either accpet or deny, nor can I even view my booking details. I call the US offices and the automated message says they will not deal with callers with travel plans later than 14 days (my flight is in 2 months).

What are my options now other than to wait T-14 days to callback?
I wish I knew what to tell you, but thanks so much for posting about this! I'm flying PHX-SFO-HND in May (under an American Airlines codeshare) to enjoy that JAL1 777-300ER coach legroom, so now I'm worried. I haven't gotten any emails, and currently the AA site still says it's departing at 3:50 PM. Was that approximately what your departure time was before the change?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by miniika
I wish I knew what to tell you, but thanks so much for posting about this! I'm flying PHX-SFO-HND in May (under an American Airlines codeshare) to enjoy that JAL1 777-300ER coach legroom, so now I'm worried. I haven't gotten any emails, and currently the AA site still says it's departing at 3:50 PM. Was that approximately what your departure time was before the change?
The departure from SFO under the new schedule is 11:50 am. If you are booked with an AA flight number, AA has to inform you of the changes, and fix the booking.
miniika likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club (CX)
I got a similar situation like yours: I booked my flight through AA and will be flying HKG-HND-SFO in the coming April, and I noticed on JAL's reservation system that that JL 2 will be departing 3.5 hours earlier, but on the AA website it showed no changes yet.

When I called AA they had to check with JL to confirm the changes. They said that once the changes has been loaded up to their system, they will email the affected passengers about that. They also mentioned that you will be eligible for a free change if you are not happy with their arrangement.

The flight time change reduced my conncetion time from 6 hours to 2.5 hours, so hopefully I can keep my flight combination. But I wonder if this time change has anything to do with the new NRT-SFO flight launching in March?
miniika likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:15 am

Is it possible to access JAL awards from partners?

I'm seeing really attractive business seats via JAL site, don't have JAL miles, don't want to transfer via Marriott (3:1).
Is it possible to book them through any partners or is partner availability a whole different limited set of seats seen through BA/AA/etc?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
FlyOn Points with JL coded flight, flying other airlines

Say I fly the following:
1) From Tokyo to KUL with JL7093 (operated by MH)
2) From CGK to Tokyo with JL5012 (operated by GA)
Booking class S, booked on JAL website, banked on a JMB account

Do I earn FlyOn points the exact same way as it if were JL metal flights, or is the counting any different?
And does it count as JAL Group FOP or OW FOP?

Based on my understanding it should be the same as flying JAL operated flights, so 2904+3109 Jal Group FOP (50% , x1.5, +400 bonus), but never hurts to double check :-D
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueMoongr
Say I fly the following:
1) From Tokyo to KUL with JL7093 (operated by MH)
2) From CGK to Tokyo with JL5012 (operated by GA)
Booking class S, booked on JAL website, banked on a JMB account

Do I earn FlyOn points the exact same way as it if were JL metal flights, or is the counting any different?
And does it count as JAL Group FOP or OW FOP?

Based on my understanding it should be the same as flying JAL operated flights, so 2904+3109 Jal Group FOP (50% , x1.5, +400 bonus), but never hurts to double check :-D
You earn exactly as if it was JAL metal in every aspect.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:48 am

Thank you CPH!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:41 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The departure from SFO under the new schedule is 11:50 am. If you are booked with an AA flight number, AA has to inform you of the changes, and fix the booking.
So glad I found this thread, thanks to you all!

Called American Airlines. Their system is still convinced the flight is from 15:50-19:00, but the JAL page clearly shows 11:50-15:00 for JL001. They called JAL directly, confirmed that yes it moved, and moved my other flights earlier to compensate and put me directly on JL001 (no code share), because that was the only way to correct the flight.

Lost my seat assignments (or at least shattered my illusion of having seat assignments), and now I'll only get seats on the day of the flight. Don't know if it's true, but the AA agent told me that the codeshare seat assignments I had before were only recommendations to JAL and that I wouldn't actually find out my real seats until I check in with JAL at SFO airport. Hopefully we'll be able to sit as a family. If any of us gets stuck in some middle seat between strangers that's going to be a huge disappointment, since I booked this back in November. The agent gave me the internal JAL record locator so I'm going to call JAL and hopefully they can help. EDIT: I called 800-JAL-FONE and they were able to look up my flight using the record locator ("reservation number") and assign my seats. Yay!

Last edited by miniika; Dec 26, 2019 at 2:56 pm Reason: new info
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So glad I found this thread, thanks to you all!

Called American Airlines. Their system is still convinced the flight is from 15:50-19:00, but the JAL page clearly shows 11:50-15:00 for JL001. They called JAL directly, confirmed that yes it moved, and moved my other flights earlier to compensate and put me directly on JL001 (no code share), because that was the only way to correct the flight.

Lost my seat assignments (or at least shattered my illusion of having seat assignments), and now I'll only get seats on the day of the flight. Don't know if it's true, but the AA agent told me that the codeshare seat assignments I had before were only recommendations to JAL and that I wouldn't actually find out my real seats until I check in with JAL at SFO airport. Hopefully we'll be able to sit as a family. If any of us gets stuck in some middle seat between strangers that's going to be a huge disappointment, since I booked this back in November. The agent gave me the internal JAL record locator so I'm going to call JAL and hopefully they can help.
If you have a JL flight number, get your JAL record locator from AA and use that on JAL's homepage to assign seats. Should work like a charm.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:59 pm

Sorry to ask, but can you tell me how to navigate to the seat assignment page on jal.com? I can't figure it out. EDIT: Figured it out!

Here's how to get there:
  1. Go to jal.com
  2. At the bottom of the page find the "USA" box and click "English"
  3. Click "Manage Booking / Web check-in"
  4. Click "Manage Booking"
  5. Select "Search by reservation information"
  6. Fill in the rest of the info.

Last edited by miniika; Dec 26, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:03 pm

I am trying to book a Haneda > Ishigaki > Miyako trip using the explorer pass, for next July. I find it very challenging to find availability for the HND>ISG and MMY>HND routes. Seems that only dates not so far away (less than 76 days ahead) are available. No problem for all routes through OKA, even in July, nor for all the other mainland routes. I can of course travel through OKA but that's 6 flights instead of 3.

Am I too early to book these substations flights with the explorer rate? Or is there anything special I should know regarding ISG/MMY and the explorer pass?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Hi I am flying Business Class from Narita to San Diego on JAL. I booked using AA miles, Do I qualify comp entry
to the JAL lounge in Narita or at least the Admirals Club or can I use both? Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BlueMoongr
I am trying to book a Haneda > Ishigaki > Miyako trip using the explorer pass, for next July. I find it very challenging to find availability for the HND>ISG and MMY>HND routes. Seems that only dates not so far away (less than 76 days ahead) are available. No problem for all routes through OKA, even in July, nor for all the other mainland routes. I can of course travel through OKA but that's 6 flights instead of 3.

Am I too early to book these substations flights with the explorer rate? Or is there anything special I should know regarding ISG/MMY and the explorer pass?
I'm honestly not sure if additional seats are released later for JEP or if the airline just doesn't release many/any JEP fares for those routes during high season. Even looking a year out in Dec., there's pretty much no availability on weekends.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by sanFF
Hi I am flying Business Class from Narita to San Diego on JAL. I booked using AA miles, Do I qualify comp entry
to the JAL lounge in Narita or at least the Admirals Club or can I use both? Thanks
Yes, award tickets, including ones booked with partner miles, qualify for lounge access just like paid tickets. Without OneWorld Emerald status, you'll be able to use the JAL Sakura lounge (either location) and should be able to access the other three business class lounges (AA, CX, QF) with your boarding pass although sometimes non-flying lounges can be a bit reluctant.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 4:53 am

Thanks lokisnake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.