Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
If I book a BA ticket including a HND>LHR flight operated by JL: Am I able to upgrade this flight to business using my JMB miles, in advance or at the airport?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueMoongr
If I book a BA ticket including a HND>LHR flight operated by JL: Am I able to upgrade this flight to business using my JMB miles, in advance or at the airport?
If it is with a BA flight number (BA4603) then you can't upgrade the flight. Codeshare bookings are excluded from this. If you are booked on a JL code on BA ticket stock, I don't see any conditions that excludes it, ut admittedly I have not tried.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by mhy
Thanks for the detailed answer. I am & speak Japanese, and I will be in F, so not trying to “bribe” my way to any better service

So I guess they may or may not take it. I think I’ll give it a go.
So, did you managed to handover the gift to the CA's? How does it went?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If it is with a BA flight number (BA4603) then you can't upgrade the flight. Codeshare bookings are excluded from this. If you are booked on a JL code on BA ticket stock, I don't see any conditions that excludes it, ut admittedly I have not tried.
Indeed that is a BA flight number. Thanks for bringing this up.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:56 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by minizian
So, did you managed to handover the gift to the CA's? How does it went?
I did indeed. The crew shared it among themselves (there was enough for all F/J/Y crew) and also distributed it to a few other passengers in F. They gave me a JAL postcard with a thank-you message and flight details like aircraft registration, cruising speed, etc.
rustykettel and minizian like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by mhy
I did indeed. The crew shared it among themselves (there was enough for all F/J/Y crew) and also distributed it to a few other passengers in F. They gave me a JAL postcard with a thank-you message and flight details like aircraft registration, cruising speed, etc.
I am surprised they actually shared it with other pax too.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Thank you..Is the JAL Lounge better than AC in your opinion in the food offerings? I will not have time for both.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:44 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sanFF
Thank you..Is the JAL Lounge better than AC in your opinion in the food offerings? I will not have time for both.
Depending on your departure date, AC may not even be a choice. AA is closing NRT AC in March 2020.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sanFF
JAL lounge is better.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I have a Monday morning JAL domestic flight from HND-CTS ... Originally had the 6am flight, but am changing it due to no way of getting to HND aside from Taxi that early, so I'm looking at a 7:30, 8:30, 9:10, or 9:30 departure instead. Looks like by train, I can get there at 6:30 if I hit the early train from Kinshicho station, or 6:55am if I get there by limousine bus. I'd like to make the 7:30am flight but that seems to be cutting it way too close, so I'm looking at the 8:30am flight. is it safe to say 1.5 hours is enough time to get through security at 7am? First time flying HND domestic in Japan.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by seigex
I have a Monday morning JAL domestic flight from HND-CTS ... Originally had the 6am flight, but am changing it due to no way of getting to HND aside from Taxi that early, so I'm looking at a 7:30, 8:30, 9:10, or 9:30 departure instead. Looks like by train, I can get there at 6:30 if I hit the early train from Kinshicho station, or 6:55am if I get there by limousine bus. I'd like to make the 7:30am flight but that seems to be cutting it way too close, so I'm looking at the 8:30am flight. is it safe to say 1.5 hours is enough time to get through security at 7am? First time flying HND domestic in Japan.
I would even say 7:30 is feasible, but that's a bit too close since the checkin (and baggage handover) cutoff has been changed to 20 minutes, rather than 15 minutes, in HND (and slowly creeping to the other airports in Japan). *I* would risk it, but I have a perverse approach to cutting it close, so don't follow my advice there.

You will need an absolute MAXIMUM of 5, maybe 10 minutes to go through security and another 5 mins to get to the gate. However, very importantly, note that you MUST cross SECURITY at least 20 mins before departure time (which is why I say you _might_ be able to make the 7:30 flight, but that only gives you about 14 minutes to get from the bus to the checkin counter with a 1 minute buffer for looking around, which is fine in principle since HND is very easy to understand and well organised, but maybe not if it's your first time). That said, Japanese airports are insanely efficient even in the busiest seasons, but Monday should be the end of the New Year's rush, so I don't expect you to have more than a few minutes to spend in security / checkin / etc. You will discover a wholly new way of flying, especially if you're used to North American airports
seigex likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:40 pm

Thanks Pseudo Nim .. this is exactly what I needed... If I take the train instead of bus, I can make it with more than enough time. so 7:30 it is.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by seigex
Thanks Pseudo Nim .. this is exactly what I needed... If I take the train instead of bus, I can make it with more than enough time. so 7:30 it is.
Oh yeah oops, I missed your train comment. Yeah, you're _totally_ fine getting there at 6:30. Still plenty time for a beer in the lounge if you have access!!
seigex likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seandr
Hi Folks,

I have a upcoming LAX-ORD-NRT , NRT-PEK as separate tickets (two PNR), with 3 hour connection at NRT, booked with AA miles.
Check-in will be with AA (LAX-ORD), AA said I can check bag into NRT directly, however won't do bag check through from NRT to PEK since its on another PNR.
Some online DPs suggest JAL can do check through on separate tickets but I assume in such cases check-in started with JAL directly.

Do you think I can stop by NRT's transfer desk and ask for help? Or I may have better chance if talking to JAL staff at ORD ? Just trying to avoid immigration and bag re-check upon arriving at NRT.

Thanks for your input.

BR,
Seandr
Upon check in at LAX, the agent was very friendly however she said the system would not let her short check my luggage, so after arriving at ORD, I talk to staff in Flagship Lounge (there was one dedicated staff working on JAL inquiries), she called someone in Japanese and then told me my luggage had been checked through to final destination PEK, she issued the boarding pass for NRT-PEK. Gate agent also confirmed with me upon boarding, but they didn’t give my an updated bag ticket.

After landing at NRT, there was one staff waiting outside of the gate with my name printed out, just to assure me again saying the luggage had been checked through.

A very happy experience with JAL, for the willingness to help accommodate their passengers and make travel much easier with them
mhy and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Oh yeah oops, I missed your train comment. Yeah, you're _totally_ fine getting there at 6:30. Still plenty time for a beer in the lounge if you have access!!
You were 150% correct... Especially being OW Emerald, I made it through check-in and security (using the JAL elite security room) with 5 minutes. I took the Asakasa Rapid Express line from Asakasa-bashi station at 4:50 and got in at 5:56... If I pushed it I could have made it on the 6:30 flight, but instead I had a little leeway and I get an hour in the Sakura Diamond Premiere lounge. Not bad!
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.