Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Hi folks. Some questions about hand luggage on smaller planes in the JAL network. Planned return flight between Singapore and Yamagata, connecting in Tokyo Haneda, in Business (international) and Economy (domestic). No status.
  1. Am I correct in my understanding that the E190 used on the HND-GAJ route does not have overhead bins that fit a standard IATA-sized carry-on bag? (It measures 55x40x23cm)
  2. If I fly SIN-HND with such a carry-on bag, what happens at HND when I catch the domestic flight to GAJ? Does JAL (a) take the bag from me at the transfer desk and check it in? Or (b) allow me to gate check the bag? Or (c) some other arrangement?
  3. On the return, if JAL says that I have to check-in the bag at GAJ, does it count as one more check-in item? And is there any way I can get the bag back at HND so that I have access to it during my flight back to Singapore?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by cowie
Hi folks. Some questions about hand luggage on smaller planes in the JAL network. Planned return flight between Singapore and Yamagata, connecting in Tokyo Haneda, in Business (international) and Economy (domestic). No status. Am I correct in my understanding that the E190 used on the HND-GAJ route does not have overhead bins that fit a standard IATA-sized carry-on bag? (It measures 55x40x23cm)
check against the dimensions outlined on the website (here)
If I fly SIN-HND with such a carry-on bag, what happens at HND when I catch the domestic flight to GAJ? Does JAL (a) take the bag from me at the transfer desk and check it in? Or (b) allow me to gate check the bag? Or (c) some other arrangement?
It gets gate-checked during your boarding (for free), an inconvenience to you, so dont risk it if you clearly fall outside the dimensions outlined on the website.
On the return, if JAL says that I have to check-in the bag at GAJ, does it count as one more check-in item?
yes
And is there any way I can get the bag back at HND so that I have access to it during my flight back to Singapore?
if gate checked, then yes, if counter checked, then unlikely to get it back at HND. But call your travel agent/call JAL and ask. Yamagata airport doesn't have international check-in facilities (to tag your luggage through to SIN), if memory from a few years ago serves me right.
cowie likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:14 am

I am wanting to book 4 tickets (me, my wife, 16 yr old niece(going to nanny on trip), and 5 yr old daughter) to TYO from US using AA miles. I read a trip report today (from about a year ago) where a family booked 4 tickets in F. Is this even possible anymore? Most availability I have seen is 1 or 2 seats in F. Is it impossible or just incredibly rare? Would it change anything if I booked 2 tickets with AA miles and 2 with AS miles?

If it’s not possible or I can’t find the availability, I would be fine with booking 2 F tickets and 2 J tickets.

And that takes me to my second question. Would my daughter and/or niece be able to come up and see us in F or vice versus? My daughter is a great traveller, even at 5, and has travelled a ton but I know she will probably want to see us some over the course of an 11 hour flight.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by matt12j
I am wanting to book 4 tickets (me, my wife, 16 yr old niece(going to nanny on trip), and 5 yr old daughter) to TYO from US using AA miles. I read a trip report today (from about a year ago) where a family booked 4 tickets in F. Is this even possible anymore? Most availability I have seen is 1 or 2 seats in F. Is it impossible or just incredibly rare? Would it change anything if I booked 2 tickets with AA miles and 2 with AS miles?

If it’s not possible or I can’t find the availability, I would be fine with booking 2 F tickets and 2 J tickets.

And that takes me to my second question. Would my daughter and/or niece be able to come up and see us in F or vice versus? My daughter is a great traveller, even at 5, and has travelled a ton but I know she will probably want to see us some over the course of an 11 hour flight.
Two F seats are released initially, and any further releases depends on availability in the cabin, and number of upgrade requests, etc. Getting four seats will be very tricky, and you may only know if it is possible about # weeks out.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Two F seats are released initially, and any further releases depends on availability in the cabin, and number of upgrade requests, etc. Getting four seats will be very tricky, and you may only know if it is possible about # weeks out.
If I booked 2 F and 2 J and at a later date 2 more F came available would it be possible to change the 2 J to F? Even for a fee?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by matt12j
If I booked 2 F and 2 J and at a later date 2 more F came available would it be possible to change the 2 J to F? Even for a fee?
As you book with AA and/or AS miles you'd need to check in those forums for change rules on awards.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:57 am

FLY ON and JMB miles after an upgrade award

Hello helpful people,

A possibly silly question: if I upgrade a segment with JMB miles to Business class, I will still get both the FLY ON points and the JMB miles associated with my original booking fare, right?

This has been my experience with all my airlines in the past, but I'm new to JAL, and I was surprised to see that on the online confirmation, after I confirmed the upgrade, it no longer displays the JMB miles that it used to display (that part of the segment is just blank, whereas on all the other segments it displays the number of JMB miles).
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phonehome
Hello helpful people,

A possibly silly question: if I upgrade a segment with JMB miles to Business class, I will still get both the FLY ON points and the JMB miles associated with my original booking fare, right?

This has been my experience with all my airlines in the past, but I'm new to JAL, and I was surprised to see that on the online confirmation, after I confirmed the upgrade, it no longer displays the JMB miles that it used to display (that part of the segment is just blank, whereas on all the other segments it displays the number of JMB miles).
Original booking class applies for earning of miles and FOP.
phonehome likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Hi all. Looks like my April flights LAX-NRT have been changed from 777s to 787s. We're flying in J, and it looks like it's the same "sky suite" seat in both, so I don't think I have any concern there, correct? There are two of us traveling, and I have to fix our seat assignments anyway, so are there any seats I should especially try for/avoid (other than trying to get our window back)? It's 2-2-2, with business split into a three row and a two row section.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Hi all. Looks like my April flights LAX-NRT have been changed from 777s to 787s. We're flying in J, and it looks like it's the same "sky suite" seat in both, so I don't think I have any concern there, correct? There are two of us traveling, and I have to fix our seat assignments anyway, so are there any seats I should especially try for/avoid (other than trying to get our window back)? It's 2-2-2, with business split into a three row and a two row section.

Thanks for any advice.
I might go for a center block, they are not offset, and easier to have a conversation.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Do day of departure upgrades on domestic flights vary on price or are they usually flat rate (1K JPY for Class J and 8K JOY for F)? For example, if someone originally booked in Class J vs coach were to upgrade to first, would they be charged the same upgrade fee?

Also, I was asked if I had an international flight booked with my domestic leg when I inquired on upgrading, can some explain why this is relevant? If it helps, I booked the the domestic JL flight using Avios and did not have any connecting to/from international legs.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALGU
Do day of departure upgrades on domestic flights vary on price or are they usually flat rate (1K JPY for Class J and 8K JOY for F)? For example, if someone originally booked in Class J vs coach were to upgrade to first, would they be charged the same upgrade fee?

Also, I was asked if I had an international flight booked with my domestic leg when I inquired on upgrading, can some explain why this is relevant? If it helps, I booked the the domestic JL flight using Avios and did not have any connecting to/from international legs.
The upgrades are flat rate. I don't really know what happens if you are in Class J. Is the Class J fee refunded or lost.

I can't see why it should matter whether you are on a domestic only or an international connection itinerary. Though the AVIOS tickets are (were?) considered the same way as international connection tickets by the system. At least they were pre Amadeus for domestic, not sure if that is still the case.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The upgrades are flat rate. I don't really know what happens if you are in Class J. Is the Class J fee refunded or lost.

I can't see why it should matter whether you are on a domestic only or an international connection itinerary. Though the AVIOS tickets are (were?) considered the same way as international connection tickets by the system. At least they were pre Amadeus for domestic, not sure if that is still the case.
-1000JPY or refund then charge the full amount

international connection within 24 hours = no consumption tax for the upgrade
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Here's a question :

What will happen to passengers whose connecting flight move from NRT to HND. Are they expected to make the airport change or can they change their flights no-charge?

Ex : You're flying CGK-NRT-DEL and have a 4 hour layover, but then the NRT-DEL flight moves to HND. Are you expected to make the connection no matter what or can you make changes ?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacquesrules
Here's a question :

What will happen to passengers whose connecting flight move from NRT to HND. Are they expected to make the airport change or can they change their flights no-charge?

Ex : You're flying CGK-NRT-DEL and have a 4 hour layover, but then the NRT-DEL flight moves to HND. Are you expected to make the connection no matter what or can you make changes ?
From some reports posted, it seems that if the connection meets MCT between the two airports, they expect you to make the connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.